Dan Peterson, Right on Cue! Book of Mormon Possibly True

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Re: Dan Peterson, Right on Cue! Book of Mormon Possibly True

Post by _Quasimodo »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Exiled wrote:DNA, DNA, DNA ... when will mopologists come to grips with this remarkable science?

You'd think they'd know something what with the church collecting data for years.

Great point! :biggrin:
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Quasimodo wrote:Great point! :biggrin:

Hey, I pay attention.
:wink:
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Craig Paxton wrote: Remember the church has lots of colored balls.

Various shades of blue doth prove true.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Post by _Water Dog »

Symmachus wrote:He obviously pays very close attention to Water Dog's posts.

Not the first time.
_Simon Southerton
_Emeritus

Post by _Simon Southerton »

bcuzbcuz wrote:An interesting graph.....because?

The DNA study originally stated is taken from 633 Mayans. Your graph is a study of Native Americans. NOT the same thing. Would a study of Native Americans show links throughout Europe? Yes, of course. Anyone who has spent time on reserves or involved with concrete natives throughout North America could see that with a blindfold on.

The 633 Mayans analysed comes from about 7 different published papers. Mayans are Native Americans so your claim they are NOT the same thing is not true for the exercise I was undertaking.

The point I was making was that scientists can tell where the very small amount of European admixture comes from. When scientists study the origins of American Indians they try to avoid people with recent admixture. Its impossible to avoid it completely and they often find 1 or 2 percent with European or African DNA. Using whole genome analysis they find that the European admixture is virtually all from Western Europe.

Yes, there are heaps of living Native Americans who obviously have lots of European DNA in their family tree. These people would not have been included in the ancestry studies I am talking about because they have so much admixture. I don't get your point.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
LDS apologetics --> "It's not the crime, it's the cover-up, which creates the scandal."
"Bigfoot is a crucial part of the ecosystem, if he exists. So let's all help keep Bigfoot possibly alive for future generations to enjoy, unless he doesn't exist." - Futurama
_Simon Southerton
_Emeritus

Post by _Simon Southerton »

Mahujah wrote:But there are other studies showing the opposite, that quite a bit of non-native DNA comes from the Middle East, via Spain and Potugal. Sephardic Jews and Conversos most likely.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/early/2018/01/23/252155

I don't agree that the publication you cite shows the "opposite" result. The vast majority of the admixed DNA in the Latin American populations studied was from Western Europe. A small percentage of the DNA came from the Sephardic community (from 1% in Brazil up to 4% in Columbia), most likely the Sephardic communities on the Iberian Peninsula.

The authors also did chromosome tract analysis to determine when the European and Sephardic DNA admixture entered native populations. It was the same for both Europeans and Sephardic; about 10 generations ago.
LDS apologetics --> "It's not the crime, it's the cover-up, which creates the scandal."
"Bigfoot is a crucial part of the ecosystem, if he exists. So let's all help keep Bigfoot possibly alive for future generations to enjoy, unless he doesn't exist." - Futurama
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

I can say, unequivocally, that the Book of Mormon was written in the 19th century. It was written by an author living in North America in the 19th century. It was not written by ancient Hebrew Christians living in North America, Central America, or South America. It is so obviously a 19th century document that it beggars belief that anyone would post Mayan ruins as being relevant to the Book of Mormon in any conceivable way. The only events in the Book of Mormon that reflect actual ancient history were cribbed from the Bible and other sources. Mormon scholars should get real, accept the facts, and write accordingly. It does no one any favors to continue to peddle fantasies about a Book of Mormon that came into existence from the 6th century BC to the 5th century AD. Such a book does not exist. Joseph Smith did not translate ancient Hebrew gold plates in the traditional sense of the word "translate."
Last edited by Guest on Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Kishkumen wrote:I can say, unequivocally, that the Book of Mormon was written in the 19th century. It was written by an author living in North American in the 19th century. It was not written by ancient Hebrew Christians living in North America, Central America, or South America. It is so obviously a 19th century document that it beggars belief that anyone would post Mayan ruins as being relevant to the Book of Mormon in any conceivable way. The only events in the Book of Mormon that reflect actual ancient history were cribbed from the Bible and other sources. Mormon scholars should get real, accept the facts, and write accordingly. It does no one any favors to continue to peddle fantasies about a Book of Mormon that came into existence from the 6th century BC to the 5th century AD. Such a book does not exist. Joseph Smith did not translate ancient Hebrew gold plates in the traditional sense of the word "translate."

+1,000

Can it be accepted as inspired fiction? Can Mormonism continue on as Mormonism without it? How important is scripture really? If you leave the iron rod, these questions have to be answered. Mormon leaders don't like questions. :wink:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Philo Sofee wrote:Time to quit fighting the truth and go back to church and pay tithing, the Mayan Megatropolis is in favor of the Book of Mormon. :rolleyes:

If the evidence 'in the dirt' hasn't proved the Book of Mormon up to this point in time, I don't expect that it will happen anytime soon.

Millennium maybe? :smile:

Regards,
MG
_Morley
_Emeritus

Post by _Morley »

mentalgymnast wrote:
Philo Sofee wrote:Time to quit fighting the truth and go back to church and pay tithing, the Mayan Megatropolis is in favor of the Book of Mormon. : rolleyes:

If the evidence 'in the dirt' hasn't proved the Book of Mormon up to this point in time, I don't expect that it will happen anytime soon.

And since Moroni's promise doesn't work for most who try it, what is there left?

No physical proof, no spiritual proof. No proof.

Just a bunch of stories.