Rob Porter resigns from White House staff

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Rob Porter resigns from White House staff

Post by _Maksutov »

Rob Porter, rising LDS Republican insider, resigns.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/02/07/politics/ ... index.html

White House staff secretary Rob Porter, a top aide to President Donald Trump, has resigned, the White House confirmed Wednesday, following allegations of abuse from his two ex-wives.

Porter denied the allegations in a statement issued in the wake of his resignation.

"These outrageous allegations are simply false," he said in his statement. "I have been transparent and truthful about these vile claims, but I will not further engage publicly with a coordinated smear campaign."

Porter resigned over the objections of White House chief of staff John Kelly and others, a White House official said.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Porter
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_CameronMO
_Emeritus

Re: Rob Porter resigns from White House staff

Post by _CameronMO »

Are his 2 ex-wives still sealed to him, though?
Trimble, you ignorant sack of rhinoceros puss. The only thing more obvious than your lack of education is the foul stench that surrounds you.
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

Read the uk guardian indepth article-a woman with any sense can see the physical and verbal and emotional anger is buried inside this guy just waiting to emerge on another woman. I would also comment that first Mormon wife said or implied lds clergy did not believe her side- ie bishop sides with abuser. Pix of wife's black eye is strong evidence she did not run into a door.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Here's an interesting blog post from his second ex-wife written in April:

http://www.bornebackceaselessly.com/jou ... y-i-stayed

APRIL 24, 2017

WHY I STAYED.

The first time he called me a "damned bitch" was on our honeymoon. (I found out years later he had kicked his first wife on theirs.) A month later he physically prevented me from leaving the house. Less than two months after that, I filed a protective order with the police because he punched in the glass on our front door while I was locked inside. We bought a house to make up for it. Just after our one year anniversary, he pulled me, naked and dripping, from the shower to yell at me.

Everyone loved him. People commented all the time how lucky I was. Strangers complimented him to me every time we went out. But in my home, the abuse was insidious. The threats were personal. The terror was real. And yet I stayed.

When I tried to get help, I was counseled to consider carefully how what I said might affect his career. And so I kept my mouth shut and stayed. I was told, yes, he was deeply flawed, but then again so was I. And so I worked on myself and stayed. If he was a monster all the time, perhaps it would have been easier to leave. But he could be kind and sensitive. And so I stayed. He cried and apologized. And so I stayed. He offered to get help and even went to a few counseling sessions and therapy groups. And so I stayed. He belittled my intelligence and destroyed my confidence. And so I stayed. I felt ashamed and trapped. And so I stayed. Friends and clergy didn't believe me. And so I stayed. I was pregnant. And so I stayed. I lost the pregnancy and became depressed. And so I stayed.

Abuse is indifferent to education level, socio-economic status, race, age, or gender. And no one can ever know the dynamics of another's relationship. My cycle continued for four more years. Afterward, I let go and welcomed the hard work of healing and forgiveness. My experience made me stronger and able to love more deeply. But my heart breaks for him. In the end, who is the real victim of his choices?

It was later verified she was talking about Brother Porter. This makes me wonder if she discussed this with her Bishop and if they knew about Brother Porter's penchant for kicking his wives' asses?

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Shinster
_Emeritus

Post by _Shinster »

Both ex-wives talked to their bishops about his abuse. See below.

From the article from The Intercept:

One summer, when she [his FIRST wife] was interning at a federal agency, she had access to a counselor through her job. “When I explained to him what was happening, he had a very different reaction from the Mormon bishops,” she said. “It was weirdly validating to hear that from somebody else.” Speaking about the counselor, she said, “He was very concerned to hear Rob was choking me.”

Also from The Intercept:

Willoughby said the first year of their marriage was the most volatile. During a period of separation that spring, Porter showed up at her apartment and refused to leave. According to a protective order, which the Daily Mail published and Willoughby confirmed to The Intercept was authentic, “I asked him several times to leave with his things, but he did not until I picked up the phone to call our clergy member. While he was gone, I took his clothes and put them in a suitcase on the front porch. When he returned a few minutes later, he punched in the glass on the door. I called the police, afraid he would break in.”

In her blogpost, Willoughby wrote, “When I tried to get help, I was counseled to consider carefully how what I said might affect his career.” She told The Intercept that she had described Porter’s anger issues to a lay official in the Mormon church. She said the official had told her to think carefully about what she said publicly about Porter’s behavior. “Keep in mind, Rob has career ambitions,” she recalled the official saying. (The press office at the Mormon church’s headquarters in Salt Lake City, Utah, declined to comment for this story.)
_Shinster
_Emeritus

Post by _Shinster »

I'm not sure either of his two ex-wives are active Mormons anymore.

I'm also skeptical that he is: there are pictures of him out with Hope Hicks "having drinks" (he could have had coke!), but going into her apartment he looked pretty wasted, and apparently he spent the night with Hope Hicks.

Any idea if he still considers himself Mormon? I ask because the Deseret News was pretty proud that there was a Mormon in Trump's White House:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865 ... House.html
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

You can bet General Kelly would be none to happy losing Rob Porter after he wrote that State of the Union address for Trump which made Trump look semi-coherent, while socking it to immigrants and highlighting the heroics and accomplishments of others not tainted by Trump.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Hal Boyd, opinion writer of the Deseret News, February 2017.

Having sat down with Porter in the months prior to his appointment, I can vouch for his intellectual acuity, professional comportment and policy prowess. And as far as integrity is concerned, anyone who wrote a doctoral-length dissertation on C.S. Lewis — as Porter did at Oxford — should be presumed ethical until proven otherwise.

Donald Trump is lucky to have Rob Porter, and so too are the American people.

Shallow Hal?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Shinster wrote:I'm not sure either of his two ex-wives are active Mormons anymore.

I'm also skeptical that he is: there are pictures of him out with Hope Hicks "having drinks" (he could have had coke!), but going into her apartment he looked pretty wasted, and apparently he spent the night with Hope Hicks.

Any idea if he still considers himself Mormon? I ask because the Deseret News was pretty proud that there was a Mormon in Trump's White House:

Isn’t the question wether the Church still considers him Mormon?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I have a question wrote:Isn’t the question wether the Church still considers him Mormon?

We will know for sure once he joins the law firm of Kirton McConkie.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace