An Experience..

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_GameOver
_Emeritus

Re: An Experience..

Post by _GameOver »

Every time I encounter the Missionaries, they can't wait to get away. :lol:
_bcuzbcuz
_Emeritus

Post by _bcuzbcuz »

candygal wrote:Wow guys...I just had an awesome experience on a very personal level. I am basically a quiet person and keep many things to myself...so I felt like I was standing outside my body watching someone else when two missionaries came to my door about 10 minutes ago. Keep in mind that these missionaries have been here before...and I have told them that I was a member for over 40 years and resigned in 2008. I told them all of this without the details...but this visit...their third time, I poured my heart out...It was an experience of some sadness (one of them cried) and yet my soul felt a relief.

I did not tell them all the reasons that I left..in fact, I told them for their personal testimonies for which I respect..I would not. But I told them of how I loved Joseph Smith...and how Joseph Smith had broken my heart and my testimony...none which had nothing to do with my belief in the Savior. I told them that because I was proud of my heritage and had great love for my ancestors, I would always be a Mormon. This is when one of them gave me a scripture from Nephi...and I told them honestly that yes...I had received that testimony..that I had it. I had made sacrifices to get it...and from a Mormon site...it was taken away.

The reason I mention this...is because this is their third trip here..and each time I become a little more open..I wonder even though I don't tell them specifics..if they would like to know more....what would you guys do?

There is absolutely no way to tell what the missionaries take away from their visits. Those two missionaries can go back to their flat after each meeting with you, convinced that they are finally breaking down your wall of defense. You words can be drops on a duck’s back.

Ae you wasting your time? in my opinion, yes.

I recently had conversations with my grown children Their mother and myself left the church before any of them were baptize age and I thought previous conversations and especially how we lived would display the falsehoods of Mormonism. None of them are interested in Mormonism but everyone of them have a view of the church that is miles away from my concept of the real situation.

We all, every person, sees reality through our own strangely augmented, personal spectacles. Nothing guarantees that what I see will be seen by anybody else.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love...you make. PMcC
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

bcuzbcuz wrote:We all, every person, sees reality through our own strangely augmented, personal spectacles. Nothing guarantees that what I see will be seen by anybody else.

Which is why, in my opinion, approaching objectivity is so important. Sure, no one can be completely objective but an effort can be made to be more objective. As a believing member I used to think I would be able to sift the harm of the church away from my children, but like you say, everyone views reality through their own lens. Although I still cannot control their perceptions, even outside the church, at least I am not fettering them to the beliefs of strangers by condoning the church as the ultimate authority on truth.
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

bcuzbcuz wrote:
candygal wrote:Wow guys...I just had an awesome experience on a very personal level. I am basically a quiet person and keep many things to myself...so I felt like I was standing outside my body watching someone else when two missionaries came to my door about 10 minutes ago. Keep in mind that these missionaries have been here before...and I have told them that I was a member for over 40 years and resigned in 2008. I told them all of this without the details...but this visit...their third time, I poured my heart out...It was an experience of some sadness (one of them cried) and yet my soul felt a relief.

I did not tell them all the reasons that I left..in fact, I told them for their personal testimonies for which I respect..I would not. But I told them of how I loved Joseph Smith...and how Joseph Smith had broken my heart and my testimony...none which had nothing to do with my belief in the Savior. I told them that because I was proud of my heritage and had great love for my ancestors, I would always be a Mormon. This is when one of them gave me a scripture from Nephi...and I told them honestly that yes...I had received that testimony..that I had it. I had made sacrifices to get it...and from a Mormon site...it was taken away.

The reason I mention this...is because this is their third trip here..and each time I become a little more open..I wonder even though I don't tell them specifics..if they would like to know more....what would you guys do?

There is absolutely no way to tell what the missionaries take away from their visits. Those two missionaries can go back to their flat after each meeting with you, convinced that they are finally breaking down your wall of defense. You words can be drops on a duck’s back.

Ae you wasting your time? in my opinion, yes.

I recently had conversations with my grown children Their mother and myself left the church before any of them were baptize age and I thought previous conversations and especially how we lived would display the falsehoods of Mormonism. None of them are interested in Mormonism but everyone of them have a view of the church that is miles away from my concept of the real situation.

We all, every person, sees reality through our own strangely augmented, personal spectacles. Nothing guarantees that what I see will be seen by anybody else.
You are probably right on many things here..the one who was crying (after I had told him that I loved many things about the church..but it tore my family apart)...I sensed he might be saddened that I just "don't get it"...the other listened..really listened. If one of them was alone for even a bit..I would be able to answer those questions that I could see buzzing in his head.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

I can barely tolerate talking with missionaries, and that makes me genuinely sad. I was a missionary. As a missionary I would have been let down by my present self. My present self feels very sympathetic toward my missionary self, but, honestly, sees little reason for us to talk to each other. I understand why the missionaries who are truly devoted feel as they do, and I know that they don’t have the kind of knowledge and perspective that would allow them to feel differently.

The gulf between us exists. It is what it is. It’s not personal in one respect, and deeply personal in another.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

Kishkumen wrote:I can barely tolerate talking with missionaries, and that makes me genuinely sad. I was a missionary. As a missionary I would have been let down by my present self. My present self feels very sympathetic toward my missionary self, but, honestly, sees little reason for us to talk to each other. I understand why the missionaries who are truly devoted feel as they do, and I know that they don’t have the kind of knowledge and perspective that would allow them to feel differently.

The gulf between us exists. It is what it is. It’s not personal in one respect, and deeply personal in another.

I respect your thoughts here. My sadness comes from turning them away. I wonder if maybe I am the first person to speak to them in a day. But you are right..your last line says it all.
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

So you have a kill shot against Joseph Smith? Lost your smithamony and cannot worship him anymore. Never should have to begin with. He failed to bring forth and establish Zion. He only laid a foundation that has since been compromised every way imaginable. I take every slam against Joseph with a grain of salt. People have been attacking him from the first moment. grindael was big on him getting his seer stone from Sally Chase. But then just before he bailed out here he mentioned that the Chases were anti-mormons from the get go. I suppose all the OTHERs who said that they just saw God are probably gotten up crap as well. WHAT? There was no forgery going on back then when the motivation was keen? Then you got the apostolic cabal that knew Joseph was about to check out according to his announced intent two years before he died, that most AMERICAN saints would not follow them to the desert. So they made league with the English Druids they got in with promising them polygamy, empire and the delusion of becoming gods. You can just imagine the spittle hitting the floor of many a Scottish cottage. So the back certification of rampant polygamy attributed to Joseph is way suspect as most were part of Eliza Snow's coven. Her brother Lorenzo was beyond the pale of treachery. I think he took the kill shot on Joseph and that's why he was not killed until he showed at the window.

Every true saint IS a prophet. The ridiculous fixation upon the honor of LDS prophets is an abomination. And worse that they refuse to know or tell how it is that everyone who takes upon them the name of Jesus Christ as commanded will receive the REAL and ACTUAL baptism of fire and of the Holy Ghost and thereby become prophets and prophetesses that would put little ol' Eliza to shame.
The Apocalrock Manifesto and Wonders of Eternity: New Mormon Theology
https://www.docdroid.net/KDt8RNP/the-apocalrock-manifesto.pdf
https://www.docdroid.net/IEJ3KJh/wonders-of-eternity-2009.pdf
My YouTube videos:HERE
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

Nightlion wrote:So you have a kill shot against Joseph Smith? Lost your smithamony and cannot worship him anymore. Never should have to begin with. He failed to bring forth and establish Zion. He only laid a foundation that has since been compromised every way imaginable. I take every slam against Joseph with a grain of salt. People have been attacking him from the first moment. grindael was big on him getting his seer stone from Sally Chase. But then just before he bailed out here he mentioned that the Chases were anti-mormons from the get go. I suppose all the OTHERs who said that they just saw God are probably gotten up crap as well. WHAT? There was no forgery going on back then when the motivation was keen? Then you got the apostolic cabal that knew Joseph was about to check out according to his announced intent two years before he died, that most AMERICAN saints would not follow them to the desert. So they made league with the English Druids they got in with promising them polygamy, empire and the delusion of becoming gods. You can just imagine the spittle hitting the floor of many a Scottish cottage. So the back certification of rampant polygamy attributed to Joseph is way suspect as most were part of Eliza Snow's coven. Her brother Lorenzo was beyond the pale of treachery. I think he took the kill shot on Joseph and that's why he was not killed until he showed at the window.

Every true saint IS a prophet. The ridiculous fixation upon the honor of LDS prophets is an abomination. And worse that they refuse to know or tell how it is that everyone who takes upon them the name of Jesus Christ as commanded will receive the REAL and ACTUAL baptism of fire and of the Holy Ghost and thereby become prophets and prophetesses that would put little ol' Eliza to shame.
Huh?