An Experience..

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_candygal
_Emeritus

An Experience..

Post by _candygal »

Wow guys...I just had an awesome experience on a very personal level. I am basically a quiet person and keep many things to myself...so I felt like I was standing outside my body watching someone else when two missionaries came to my door about 10 minutes ago. Keep in mind that these missionaries have been here before...and I have told them that I was a member for over 40 years and resigned in 2008. I told them all of this without the details...but this visit...their third time, I poured my heart out...It was an experience of some sadness (one of them cried) and yet my soul felt a relief.

I did not tell them all the reasons that I left..in fact, I told them for their personal testimonies for which I respect..I would not. But I told them of how I loved Joseph Smith...and how Joseph Smith had broken my heart and my testimony...none which had nothing to do with my belief in the Savior. I told them that because I was proud of my heritage and had great love for my ancestors, I would always be a Mormon. This is when one of them gave me a scripture from Nephi...and I told them honestly that yes...I had received that testimony..that I had it. I had made sacrifices to get it...and from a Mormon site...it was taken away.

The reason I mention this...is because this is their third trip here..and each time I become a little more open..I wonder even though I don't tell them specifics..if they would like to know more....what would you guys do?
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Re: An Experience..

Post by _Res Ipsa »

If they asked, I would answer their questions.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

Glad that you feel like you can open up a little bit, candygal. It can be very therapeutic to be able to vent those things out.

It is intriguing to me that your kind of "anti-missionary" experience shares a lot of the language and feelings that would be used by a missionary talking about a testimony bearing experience they had. I don't know about anyone else but I can recall moments when I felt sort of "out of body" when sharing my testimony so it is interesting to see it in a reverse situation. As LDS you always assume this is just the Holy Ghost doing its Mormon thing but these are actually just fascinating examples of how our brain processes and handles these kinds of scenarios.
Res Ipsa wrote:If they asked, I would answer their questions.

To expand on this. I will typically tell a TBM that asks about why I left that they are really not going to like what they hear and that it may negatively impact the way they view the LDS church or, more probably, me. If they persist after that then I see no reason not to share.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

Xenophon wrote:Glad that you feel like you can open up a little bit, candygal. It can be very therapeutic to be able to vent those things out.

It is intriguing to me that your kind of "anti-missionary" experience shares a lot of the language and feelings that would be used by a missionary talking about a testimony bearing experience they had. I don't know about anyone else but I can recall moments when I felt sort of "out of body" when sharing my testimony so it is interesting to see it in a reverse situation. As LDS you always assume this are just the Holy Ghost doing its Mormon thing but these are actually just fascinating examples of how our brain processes and handles these kinds of scenarios.
Res Ipsa wrote:If they asked, I would answer their questions.

To expand on this. I will typically tell a TBM that asks about why I left that they are really not going to like what they hear and that it may negatively impact the way they view the LDS church or, more probably, me. If they persist after that then I see no reason not to share.
Thank you for your comments...I am so waiting for one of them to just simply ask outright...why did you leave??
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

candygal wrote:I am so waiting for one of them to just simply ask outright...why did you leave??

Would it help to do a dress rehearsal right here? We could pretend that some unknown missionary off-camera asked you, "why did you leave?"
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

It's been a while since I talked to missionaries. If they were to push their way in again, I'd give them a better polished version of what I gave last time. Once they're done talking, I'd let them know that as they are now I once was, and I know that nothing I say will matter because I had an answer for every concern too, when I was a missionary, and couldn't conceive of any other possibility than the Church is true and those who left must come back. (Of course, as a missionary I secretly had doubts, and they also may have doubts, but it's pointless to bring that up because they'll never admit to it.)

Then I'd give them a business card with my email and tell them to remember this conversation and email me in two years after their mission and let me know if they are in or out. I would say as I did the last time, to take a good look at each other, because, "statistically, as I am, one of you shall become. Which one of you is it going to be?"

(I have no idea what the statistics really are)
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

candygal I really like that you could be so forthcoming about telling your own story and still act with compassion for them. I think that it takes a very caring and certain kind of pure heart to do so. I can't help but admire you.

I really don't think I'd expect one of them to ask you why you left in the presence of the other. But if one did or if they decided to ask jointly, I'd sure answer their questions.

I think that you probably left a positive impression and planted a few seeds during that visit.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Re: An Experience

Post by _Craig Paxton »

Yesterday, I saw 2 sitting in a park across the street near my home. I thought about stopping but ended up thinking what’s the point. These poor boys were just waiting time in an area dominated by Mormons. I felt sorry for their 2 years waisted pushing a fraud on others. They looked so bored, but that could have been me projecting my feelings on them

Candygal, i commend you on speaking your mind
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

Jersey Girl wrote:candygal I really like that you could be so forthcoming about telling your own story and still act with compassion for them. I think that it takes a very caring and certain kind of pure heart to do so. I can't help but admire you.

I really don't think I'd expect one of them to ask you why you left in the presence of the other. But if one did or if they decided to ask jointly, I'd sure answer their questions.

I think that you probably left a positive impression and planted a few seeds during that visit.

Thanks...I think they are really curious. They are in Mormon country already and surely bored...but they keep coming back.
_candygal
_Emeritus

Re: An Experience

Post by _candygal »

Craig Paxton wrote:Yesterday, I saw 2 sitting in a park across the street near my home. I thought about stopping but ended up thinking what’s the point. These poor boys were just waiting time in an area dominated by Mormons. I felt sorry for their 2 years waisted pushing a fraud on others. They looked so bored, but that could have been me projecting my feelings on them

Candygal, i commend you on speaking your mind
hanks Craig...I am pushing 62 and to look at these young faces knowing that I could blow their world a part...just doesn't leave me with a good feeling. But should they ask...I will be honest.