Chance, Determinism and Free Will

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Chance, Determinism and Free Will

Post by _RockSlider »

In my listening to some discussions involving Sam Harris and Lawrence Krauss, there have been a couple times they mentioned they did not hold to the idea that there is any 'Free Will'. I finally looked up what in the world they were talking about, as Free Will is so fundamental to our (Mormons, Christians) worldview, I could not image what in the world they were referencing.

Sam Harris - The Case Against Free Will The first 35 minutes is his presentation, the remainder an interview. If nothing else, consider listening to the segment from 0:10:10 to 0:11:40 for an example. His example of the bear vs. the man with an axe is also very interesting.

For those with a shorter video/audio attention span, a briefer summary

Sam Harris on the Illusion of Free Will

What say ye?
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: Chance, Determinism and Free Will

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I'm watching the fist video right now starting at your timestamp. You know. I think a lot of people have been trying to nail down where conscious emergence begins and at what point do we take ownership over our behavior. I don't know if I have anything else to add at this moment, but I'll watch the videos. I'm a fan of Sam Harris so he has my attention right now.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

I enjoy Sam Harris, as well. I don't have time to watch the videos at the moment, but will let you know my impressions once I do.

Rock, are there any articles that he has written on this topic that might be worth referring to as well?
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _RockSlider »

Jesse Pinkman wrote:I enjoy Sam Harris, as well. I don't have time to watch the videos at the moment, but will let you know my impressions once I do.

Rock, are there any articles that he has written on this topic that might be worth referring to as well?

Like most any of these well known authors "interveiws/presentations" they are about one of their books:

https://www.amazon.com/Free-Will-Sam-Ha ... 1451683405
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

RockSlider wrote:In my listening to some discussions involving Sam Harris and Lawrence Krauss, there have been a couple times they mentioned they did not hold to the idea that there is any 'Free Will'. I finally looked up what in the world they were talking about, as Free Will is so fundamental to our (Mormons, Christians) worldview, I could not image what in the world they were referencing.

Free Will is not fundamental to the Christian worldview, some believe it and some don't. The kind of determinism that the New Atheists believe in was arrived at first by the Calvinist theologian Jonathan Edwards, who was trying to justify punishing sinners who are predetermined for hell by God.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

Gadianton wrote:Free Will is not fundamental to the Christian worldview, some believe it and some don't. The kind of determinism that the New Atheists believe in was arrived at first by the Calvinist theologian Jonathan Edwards, who was trying to justify punishing sinners who are predetermined for hell by God.

Coming out of one's bubble can be a very slow process. And my listening to Krauss, Harris, Dillahunty, Dawkins, Dennet etc. has introduced me to whole new sets of previously never considered concepts. Please overlook my ignorance.
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

Gadianton wrote:
RockSlider wrote:In my listening to some discussions involving Sam Harris and Lawrence Krauss, there have been a couple times they mentioned they did not hold to the idea that there is any 'Free Will'. I finally looked up what in the world they were talking about, as Free Will is so fundamental to our (Mormons, Christians) worldview, I could not image what in the world they were referencing.

Free Will is not fundamental to the Christian worldview, some believe it and some don't. The kind of determinism that the New Atheists believe in was arrived at first by the Calvinist theologian Jonathan Edwards, who was trying to justify punishing sinners who are predetermined for hell by God.

Hoping to clarify a bit, determinism was standard Christian theology a thousand years before Jonathan Edwards.Though not universally accepted it has been the majority view .Edwards may present arguments with a more scientific cast of thought than would a medieval scholastic but it is the same determinism linked to predestination. Luther and Calvin thought it was important to make sure people thought about the determinism because it underlines peoples dependence upon God. I am fairly sure Edwards would have seen the purpose in the same way. From what I have read of him he was concerned that people turn to God to avoid the punishment which sin obviously deserves.

Edwards was of a turn of mind from which I doubt that it would ever occur to him to think hell needed justification.

second thought this morning,
Sorry Gadianton I have prematurely discarded your observation about a possible intention to explain people being punished if predetermined in their character. My second thought this morning is that you may be correct about that intention.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

When the likes of Dennett, Krauss, Dillahunty and Harris can argue/disagree for hours over this topic, there is obviously a lot to think about here.

Dennett and Harris had a bit of a falling out over their differing thoughts. Krauss tending to side with Harris, Dillahunty with Dennett.

Anyway, a new concept for me:

Compatibilism
_MrStakhanovite
_Emeritus

Post by _MrStakhanovite »

I'm a determinist and an incompatibilist.

_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

MrStakhanovite wrote:I'm a determinist and an incompatibilist.
The concepts You listed are not determined exactly; moreover they are incompatible - at least for me. Call me stupid; nemo me impune lacessit.

by the way
I could never ever make a difference of "free will" and "free agency". Is there any difference?

When I read or hear the word "agency", I associate to CIA...
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.