Old ground but hey I need to know!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Re: Old ground but hey I need to know!

Post by _Fence Sitter »

I would love to have the chance to sit down with a Bishop or SP for a discussion about why I don't believe, but since the internet has become accessible to all, not one of my bishops (there has been 4) or any of the SP (3) in my stake has ever asked me why I do not believe. My current SP lives three houses away and my current bishop and I are friends in that we occasionally go to a play or event together with the wives. My past bishop and I also had several occasions where such questions could have come up. He once asked me if there was any chance I would even activate to which I responded, "Is there any chance you will go inactive?".

Momorism's dirty laundry is available to all now and even at the most local level, they know.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Always Changing
_Emeritus

Post by _Always Changing »

There is no need to have a 1-to-1 knock-down-drag-out debate. Such encounters always end up badly. If he is curious, he will look up whatever he is curious about. Simply enjoy the meal, and don't (directly) discuss religion. Change the subject if he tries to bring it up. Try to relate as human beings. Namaste (the divine in me bows to the divine in you).
Problems with auto-correct:
In Helaman 6:39, we see the Badmintons, so similar to Skousenite Mormons, taking over the government and abusing the rights of many.
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Hey K! :smile:

Just in case you didn't catch the wisdom being offered to you the first time they were posted on the board, I thought I would post them again - so you had another opportunity to consider these words before you meet and break bread with a fellow human being.

Stem wrote:Well I'm not so sure it's a good idea to go to lunch with someone with the intent of attacking his religion.

I doubt anything fruitful will come out of it.

Jersey Girl wrote:I, myself, do not want to destroy the testimony of an Latter-day Saint. I don't want to put anyone in the position of losing their faith, their family, their faith community, their social circle or even their business relations.

I don't want to be the catalyst for someone becoming displaced.

Peace,
Ceeboo
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

Stem wrote:Well I'm not so sure it's a good idea to go to lunch with someone with the intent of attacking his religion.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is good advice...take it
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

kairo wrote:Me always a nevermo has been invited to lunch by my bishop son's SP.

"He just wants to know about me and wants me to come to the dark side"...

I had a different take on this....Kairo, I read your first two sentences to mean that you thought the SP had an ulterior motive for inviting you to lunch, and you wanted to be prepared. Is that correct?
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Lemmie wrote:I had a different take on this....Kairo, I read your first two sentences to mean that you thought the stake president had an ulterior motive for inviting you to lunch, and you wanted to be prepared. Is that correct?

Yeah - that's correct Lemmie - he just wanted to be prepared.

kairos wrote: I want to demolish him as to his Book of Mormon testimony.

What more is needed to nail that coffin shut

You know what they say............... Coffins shutting and demolition are the two most important ingredients for lunch preparation. :razz:

Peace,
Ceeboo
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

I cannot imagine why you would want to have lunch with some LDS stake president at all.

Did the timeshare condo salesman break his date with you?
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Darth J wrote:I cannot imagine why you would want to have lunch with some LDS stake president at all.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That explains it, the ulterior motive is recruiting for an MLM!
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Darth J wrote:I cannot imagine why you would want to have lunch with some LDS stake president at all.

This is a good point. Why in the world would you want to share your personal time with a guy like that? If a preacher to a megachurch asked me out to lunch I'd be wondering what in the world is going on, and then I'd decline because I have better things to do like taking a crap.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

You guys are awesome!

i never should have said "demolish" - i really have been bugged by this guy to study isaiah with him- i have no interest in that. in my Bible meditations i let the HS try to give me insight into whatever book i am into. he invited me to lunch and would treat me to a chili dog-yes his offer! to "get to know me better". clearly he wants to push the lds religion on me by showing how wonderful it is and true. So i thought i could lead him into telling me how isaiah got into the Book of Mormon. no confrontation just give me his thoughts and i could point out some holes, whatever his answer. if he wants to go elsewhere so be it- i can wherever. the guy is nice but hard core super enthusiastic on the surface about mo'ism.

not to the liking of many here but i want to tell him my conversion story,fairly dramatic, but only to describe how i see what being a christian means- simple john 3:16 approach- organized religion please not apply.

further thoughts -thanx!
k