MD&D mods throw their friends to the dogs

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Re: MD&D mods throw their friends to the dogs

Post by _Meadowchik »

Why Me wrote:The old guy made a mistake by talking with his victim. He should have known she was recording it. If he would have continued to deny everything on the recording, nothing would have been done. Most likely, by meeting with her, he tried to make amends in some sort of way. I can only wonder what would compel him to do what he did at the MTC. What came over him? Strange to be sure. His family must be in a mess now. Quite the shock for his children. Pain all around. Sad.

He's 85 years old. If he had trouble with sexual completion back then at the MTC, his abilities may very well be more softened now.

But since sex is mostly about the brain, and rape is about violation, the interview is something that could provide immense pleasure to a now-flaccid, would-be rapist. He gets to be open about the power he wielded over other women, over the interviewer, the status he was about to maintain in the church, he gets to deflect blame to others, all face-to-face with a woman he violated.

The interview is absolutely costing him, but it was quite possibly the highlight of the decade for him and lit up all those predatory buttons in his brain.
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Dr. Shades wrote:Hi cwald,

I'm having a hard time fathoming how anyone can justify or do apologetics for John Bishop's behavior, so will you please give us some examples of some of the apologetic explanations they've typed out on his behalf?

Yeah, it's truly shocking. I think the main point of contention was criticizing the lady for secretly recording the interview and threatening to kill the guy and some flat out claims that she lied and was just trying to make the church look bad. Also talk about how he is just a guy and doesn't represent the church so don't blame this whole thing on the church and it's practices and policies etc.

I'll muddle through it again I guess and find some examples. I have a double header today so might take me a bit to get it done.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Here is an example. It's about 40 plus pages of this kind of crap one can wade through.

smac wrote:

The angst about "justice" for this woman is attributable, to some extent, to her not reporting it to law enforcement.

Juliann wrote:

Ever more creative in the victim blaming.....no matter that she did and it still didn't matter.

smac wrote:

I have repeatedly and emphatically emphasized that I am not faulting her for any mental health problems she may have (by her own reckoning). I do fault her, however, for threatening to murder Bro. Bishop. I also have concerns about her luring him into a room alone under false pretenses (as I would if a middle-aged man used false pretenses to lure an elderly woman into a room alone).

Not "doubt." Withhold judgment when all we've got is crappy evidence, and otherwise proceed oin a generalized innocent-until-proven-guilty kind of way.

If she waited 25+ years before saying anything? If she lured him - now as a very old man recovering from a heart attack - into a private, one-on-one "interview" under false pretenses? If she used profanity and anger and reminders that she had previously threatened to murder him, and that she now wants him to admit to the misconduct and apologize for it?

Yes, I would be making the same arguments and defenses.

kllindley wrote:

You don't see her description of her sexually violent alcoholic father (step father?) As a possible source of disturbance?

Juliann wrote:
What possible difference does that make now? Is it really too much to stop victim blaming when there is now a police report with his admission? This is now about him, not her.

smac wrote:

Oh brother. In her interview she references her "violently sexually abusive" step-father (p. 25) who was also a pedophile (pp. 33, 38), which is why she says she went to see Bro. Bishop. She says that Bro. Bishop "hurt" her 33 years prior, that has "struggled for 33 years," and that she "need{s} an apology" (pp. 26, 63). She says that he "destroyed {her} faith and testimony" (p. 27). She acknowledges Bro. Bishop's comment that she "had had a tough life" (p. 27). She states that she had been raped and had a baby and given it up for adoption (p. 28). She says that after she returned from her mission she "ha{d} not healed" from Bro. Bishop's abuse of her (p. 29), which is why she claims to have spoken with Elder Asay. She calls herself "a broken woman because of the things {Bro. Bishop} did" (p. 31). She asks him "{h}ow many other young women in the Church have been destroyed like {her}" because of Bro. Bishop (p. 32). She tells him that he "ha{s} no f***ing idea the pain {he has} caused {her}" (p. 41). She speaks of "young vulnerable women, broken women" and includes herself in that characterization (pp. 41, 42). She says she was "a victim of sexual abuse as a child" (p. 43). She said repeatedly told Bro. Bishop, that she had threatened to kill him, that she "{has} a gun" (pp. 44, 47), and that another woman had also threatened him, and that he "should probably hide" (p. 43). She states that she categorically "cannot trust men" (p. 55). She tells Bro. Bishop that she "ha{s} never recovered" from what he did to her (p. 56). She says she has "suffered tremendously" from what he did to her (p. 58). She "absolutely resent{s}" all priesthood leaders because of what Bro. Bishop did (p. 63). She calls herself "a freak magnet" and she "refuse{s} to let anyone near {her}" (p. 64). She says "I am damaged" several times (pp. 64-65). She says she has "no desire to even pretend ... to trust again ever anyone." (p. 65).

She really did use false pretenses to lure him into a private, one-on-one "interview." That's not "conjecture."

She really did repeatedly reference her previous threats to murder him. That's not "conjecture."

He really is 85 years old, and was recovering from a heart attack at the time of the "interview." That's not "conjecture."

And pointing these things out is not a "defense" of Bro. Bishop. It is a critique of poor evidence.

provoman wrote:

What was the failure to act 30 years ago and do you mean 33 years ago? What evidence do you offer? What we have is “that one said v that one said.” The person who issued multiple death threats said she talked to Elder Asay, the statement from the Church is that there is no record of such a meeting.

smac wrote:

In what way? She's not a member of the Church. What would you expect the Church to do "to show a little more compassion" to her?

I think a young woman who exposes her breasts to an older man in an ecclesiastical setting is clearly not ready for the rigors of missionary work.

Thanks,

-Smac

Duncan wrote;

I have never known the Holy Ghost to be involved in anything and something terrible has come from it,

ksfisher wrote:

"Latter-day Saints do not expect God to simply hand down information. He expects us to wrestle with the complications of life through prayerful searching and sound thinking."
Last edited by Guest on Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

cwald wrote: Also talk about how he is just a guy and doesn't represent the church so don't blame this whole thing on the church and it's practices and policies etc.

Just a guy specially called by revelation and set apart by apostles and prophets of Mormonism to head the missionary program of the church.

Right.

I suppose if it was an apostle they would simply say it was one apostle that went bad but that doesn't imply that the rest of the apples are bad -- just a bad apple but how hardly does that condemn the whole Quorum of the Twelve.

The apologists don't realize that the bad apple in Mormonism is the Holy Ghost. The Spirit of Mormonism is utterly rotten to the core. The Holy Ghost is a fraud.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

cwald:

Thank you for taking the time to retrieve those samples for us; I appreciate your having done so. It looks to me like they're focusing on the actions and motives of the victim but are not addressing the truth or falsehood of the statements that Joseph L. Bishop himself made.

The two items don't appear to me to be in any way related. If he spoke the truth, then he spoke the truth. That should be what those folks focus on. . . but you already know that, of course.

I have to hand it to Juliann and Calm for finally being on the correct side of the issue for once.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Dr. Shades wrote:cwald:

Thank you for taking the time to retrieve those samples for us; I appreciate your having done so. It looks to me like they're focusing on the actions and motives of the victim but are not addressing the truth or falsehood of the statements that Joseph L. Bishop himself made.

The two items don't appear to me to be in any way related. If he spoke the truth, then he spoke the truth. That should be what those folks focus on. . . but you already know that, of course.

I have to hand it to Juliann and Calm for finally being on the correct side of the issue for once.

Calm and Juliann are almost always supportive of anything dealing with women's issues, especially abuse. Juliann is especially outspoken about the problems the church has with a male dominated leadership.

The evidence at this point is pretty overwhelming against Bishop. He confessed in an interview a while back with Provo PD to asking this missionary to show him her breasts and there are other accusations surfacing from another source. SMAC and others have pretty much stopped defending him and shifted to trying to explain how this is not the church's fault, and, for the most part, have ceased to post in the threads dealing with this.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Fence Sitter wrote:SMAC and others have pretty much stopped defending him and shifted to trying to explain how this is not the church's fault, and, for the most part, have ceased to post in the threads dealing with this.

What is the church? Is the church the prophet? Is it the First Presidency? Is it the Quorum of the Twelve and the First Presidency?

What is the church?

Here we have a case where the PRESIDENT of the Missionary Training Center of the LDS church is a sexual predator. Therefore, the president of the Missionary Training Center of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is at fault. This president was called and set apart by the apostles and prophets under the direction of Jesus Christ while they prayed over him using the authority of the Melchizedek priesthood -- breathing promptings of the Holy Ghost. What more can be said?

The church IS at fault. SMAC is a dope.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

Fence Sitter wrote:

Calm and Juliann are almost always supportive of anything dealing with women's issues, especially abuse. Juliann is especially outspoken about the problems the church has with a male dominated leadership.

The evidence at this point is pretty overwhelming against Bishop. He confessed in an interview a while back with Provo PD to asking this missionary to show him her breasts and there are other accusations surfacing from another source. SMAC and others have pretty much stopped defending him and shifted to trying to explain how this is not the church's fault, and, for the most part, have ceased to post in the threads dealing with this.

They need to wake up to the systemic nature of the church. There's the supposed intended system, but there's also the real system.
_Always Changing
_Emeritus

Post by _Always Changing »

CWald, I also appreciate the relay service. Some of us avoid that place as an anger management technique.
Problems with auto-correct:
In Helaman 6:39, we see the Badmintons, so similar to Skousenite Mormons, taking over the government and abusing the rights of many.
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

All I know is that I was repping Calm and Juliann left and right..and was happy to be acknowledged by them as well...don't mess with us women..any of us.. :razz: