Shout-Out to John Dehlin ....

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_GameOver
_Emeritus

Shout-Out to John Dehlin ....

Post by _GameOver »

I’ve been critical of John’s Mormon Stories interviews in the past for his constantly interrupting his guests. I stopped listening because of this.

But I tuned in again to the last few interviews and I was very impressed with how he allowed his guests to tell their stories without unnecessary interruptions. He’s become very adept at interviewing and I’m looking forward to his future content.

I’m writing this here because I was rather harshly critical of him here.

You have my apology, John.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Re: Shout-Out to John Dehlin ....

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

But he is not an intelligent person.
_Tavares Standfield
_Emeritus

Post by _Tavares Standfield »

GameOver wrote:I’ve been critical of John’s Mormon Stories interviews in the past for his constantly interrupting his guests. I stopped listening because of this.

But I tuned in again to the last few interviews and I was very impressed with how he allowed his guests to tell their stories without unnecessary interruptions. He’s become very adept at interviewing and I’m looking forward to his future content.

I’m writing this here because I was rather harshly critical of him here.

You have my apology, John.

Thank you for sharing this GameOver.

As I've said here repeatedly, John Dehlin is a great man who has helped 10s of thousands of people around the world. He deservers our respect and gratitude.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I imagine this thread will spring a Rube Goldberg alert for Rosebud.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

moksha wrote:I imagine this thread will spring a Rube Goldberg alert for Rosebud.
Oh God, I hope not...no!!!
_Johannes
_Emeritus

Post by _Johannes »

I have listened to a number of Mormon Stories interviews and learnt a lot from them. I have to say, however, that Dr Dehlin is not a natural interviewer.

Interviewing is an art. It's more than just asking a series of questions - or, as Dehlin often does, saying literally "Talk about... [subject that you want the subject to talk about]". It's about building a rapport with your subject, letting a conversation flow in a seemingly natural way - if necessary, getting their guard down and encouraging them to say things that they hadn't intended to. David Frost was famously good at this. So was Michael Parkinson. I expect Larry King was too, although I saw very little of his work.

It would probably be churlish to pick on some of Dehlin's minor tics, but if I ever hear him interrupt a subject again and say "Real quick....", you can sign me up immediately for Team Rosebud.

That said, Mormon Stories has collected a body of oral history that is probably unique and from which people will still be learning for many years to come, so Dr Dehlin deserves real credit for that.
_Equality
_Emeritus

Post by _Equality »

FFS, we're calling him doctor now?
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Equality wrote:FFS, we're calling him doctor now?

Who called him doctor? I didn't see that.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Johannes
_Emeritus

Post by _Johannes »

Academic titles are important to some people, and I have a feeling that Dr Dehlin is one of them.
_Johannes
_Emeritus

Post by _Johannes »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Equality wrote:Founding Fathers, we're calling him doctor now?

Who called him doctor? I didn't see that.

I did, in recognition of his PhD. I come from a world where being over-formal with titles is ususally safer than being under-formal.