What is an anti-Mormon?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Re: What is an anti-Mormon?

Post by _Water Dog »

Stem wrote:I'm not sure I"m going to go back and reevaluate. I didn't see her picking a fight, per se. The first page or two seemed to be going just fine. I don't know I know exactly when things seemed to go south, and I grant it could have been sparked by her (as I said she didn't seem to be doing herself any favors).

In the end, she felt unwelcome. that seemed clear to me. That's too bad. I don't know what all she would have brougth to the table, if anything. But I like to hear other voices. I'd rather make room for others and encourage them.

My first impression of Niadna was that she's just TBM immature and figured it would go this way. Was a waste of time to try engaging. Anybody who shows up here has to go through the initiation ritual. I went through it, and I've seen many others go through it. If you can't handle it, you don't belong here. Even after things settle down, there is a certain intensity that prevails. That's just the board culture. If you can't handle the initiation, you simply won't be able to hold your own in discussions long-term. Particularly if you're in the minority view on a subject. Making matters worse she was bringing it on herself by going on the offensive the way she did. I still am perplexed about her rantings against Christians/Evangelicals. Not sure what this had to do with anything. I'm not sure what the point of this thread even was.
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

Water Dog wrote:My first impression of Niadna was that she's just TBM immature and figured it would go this way. Was a waste of time to try engaging. Anybody who shows up here has to go through the initiation ritual. I went through it, and I've seen many others go through it. If you can't handle it, you don't belong here. Even after things settle down, there is a certain intensity that prevails. That's just the board culture. If you can't handle the initiation, you simply won't be able to hold your own in discussions long-term. Particularly if you're in the minority view on a subject. Making matters worse she was bringing it on herself by going on the offensive the way she did. I still am perplexed about her rantings against Christians/Evangelicals. Not sure what this had to do with anything. I'm not sure what the point of this thread even was.

I'm not sure what the point of this thread was either...and I believe I told her as much. I agree with that.

My Father-in-law, trying to take a shot at wife and I, talked about his neighbor who easily got offended again and decided not to come to Church until at some point they run out of money and come begging...or something. I tire of hearing of the impression so many Mormons have that people leave because they get offended. At some point you have to ask, "wait..if the Jacobson's left because they were offended...if the Donald's left because they were offended...if the Simpkins left because they were offended...maybe at some point you have to ask, well why were they all offended? Was there a better way to treat them?"

This feels similar to me. Active LDS come and go here, because it's not a very tolerant place when it comes to LDS folks. But ultimately if no one else wants others here, fine. I'm happy enough with what I get out of here for now. I would like to see more LDS feeling welcomed and feeling encouraged. But I realize that may just be me...so it's cool.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

in my opinion, the conversation here took a turn toward the hostile after the first claim that she was just reciting arguments from FAIR.
You mean, when it was noted that she lifted a footnote from FAIR to give a page number to grindael for a book she didn't have? It's not hostile to note the quality of resources being used.
Res Ipsa wrote:If we actually want believing LDS folks to come here and engage, then I would expect some critical self reflection after this thread. I see much more defense of our “tribe” than anything else.

Critical self reflection is always good. For example, long before FAIR was discussed naidna could have found herself feeling the conversation was taking a turn toward the hostile after this definition of how her style seemed to be tied in with the negative "patterns" of LDS defenders. From page 3:
Res Ipsa wrote:This may not be true of you specifically, but I've seen a pattern among faithful LDS of using what they perceive as incivility as an excuse to reject perfectly good arguments. The distinction between an insult and an honest but blunt statement is pretty thin and highly subjective.

Similarly, I've seen a pattern of LDS defenders using "ad hominem" as an excuse to avoid grappling with an actual argument. And the accusation of "no evidence" is too often used when the real issue is whether a pattern of facts should be considered as evidence and, if so, how much weight should that evidence be given.

So, I guess one thing that concerns me is that your taxonomy is tied in with what I would describe as typical thought-stopping cliches commonly used by LDS defenders to dismiss folks critical of Mormonism.

There are defenders of anything and everything that use such tactics. How about just describing it as a pattern, instead of as an LDS pattern? If the concern is not creating a hostile environment for faithful LDS, then not describing bad behavior as an LDS pattern would be a start.
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

Res Ipsa wrote:Cinepro has posted here for years without complaining about the culture here.

I haven't been following the thread so I can't comment on the "culture" here, but if I'm being used as an example of a "believing Mormon" for this board, then we probably need to get some better believing Mormons around here. :confused:
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

cinepro wrote:I haven't been following the thread so I can't comment on the "culture" here, but if I'm being used as an example of a "believing Mormon" for this board, then we probably need to get some better believing Mormons around here. :confused:

:biggrin:
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

cinepro wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:Cinepro has posted here for years without complaining about the culture here.

I haven't been following the thread so I can't comment on the "culture" here, but if I'm being used as an example of a "believing Mormon" for this board, then we probably need to get some better believing Mormons around here. :confused:

Oops, I think that was Fence Sitter and not me.

On the other hand, being confused with Fence Sitter isn't a bad thing... :wink:
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Xenophon wrote:Edited to appease the Mountain Man

:lol: so you feel it too?! He's starting to replace Scully as being the one I would take most seriously when they say, "im gonna kick their asses..."
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Lemmie wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:in my opinion, the conversation here took a turn toward the hostile after the first claim that she was just reciting arguments from FAIR.

You mean, when it was noted that she lifted a footnote from FAIR to give a page number to grindael for a book she didn't have?

No, not that one.

Lemmie wrote:It's not hostile to note the quality of resources being used.

I suppose it depends on tone, but that's not what I was referring to.

Lemmie wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:If we actually want believing LDS folks to come here and engage, then I would expect some critical self reflection after this thread. I see much more defense of our “tribe” than anything else.

Critical self reflection is always good.

Agreed.

Lemmie wrote:For example, long before FAIR was discussed naidna could have found herself feeling the conversation was taking a turn toward the hostile after this definition of how her style seemed to be tied in with the negative "patterns" of LDS defenders.

Well, in hypothetical world, I suppose anything "could" happen. In the real world, no one did what you described.

Lemmie wrote:From page 3:

Res Ipsa wrote:This may not be true of you specifically, but I've seen a pattern among faithful LDS of using what they perceive as incivility as an excuse to reject perfectly good arguments. The distinction between an insult and an honest but blunt statement is pretty thin and highly subjective.

Similarly, I've seen a pattern of LDS defenders using "ad hominem" as an excuse to avoid grappling with an actual argument. And the accusation of "no evidence" is too often used when the real issue is whether a pattern of facts should be considered as evidence and, if so, how much weight should that evidence be given.

So, I guess one thing that concerns me is that your taxonomy is tied in with what I would describe as typical thought-stopping cliches commonly used by LDS defenders to dismiss folks critical of Mormonism.

This partial quote, lifted out of context, was in reference to the taxonomy Nadnia presented, not her "style." "Style" is your term, not mine. And while I would describe the pattern as "unfortunate" because it i think it impairs communication, the judgmental label "negative" is yours, not mine. Nadnia and I had a substantial back and forth in which I criticized her taxonomy, primarily on the ground that it would impede communication. I saw nothing in her responses that indicated she thought I was being hostile toward her. If I had, I would have done my best to correct that impression.

Lemmie wrote:There are defenders of anything and everything that use such tactics. How about just describing it as a pattern, instead of as an LDS pattern? If the concern is not creating a hostile environment for faithful LDS, then not describing bad behavior as an LDS pattern would be a start.

I didn't describe the behavior as an "LDS pattern." That's your term. I didn't label it as "bad behavior." That's your judgmental label, not mine. . Give that the discussion was between an LDS defender and critic about the effect of defenders applying labels to critics, noting the pattern in that context is perfectly sensible. Uses of similar techniques in other contexts would be irrelevant to the conversation we were actually having.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Hey Grindael,

I was so puzzled by the claim that Smith volunteered to pay for the damage to the Expositor press that I cracked open the old Documentary History and took a look. (Actually, I used the on line version). Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like there are two versions of the meeting with Ford in the Carthage Jail. The first is described as follows: "The Following Account of this Interview is from the Manuscript History of the Church in the Historian's Office, and not Hitherto Published." Do we know anything about this version, such as who actually wrote it and when was it written? Does the original exist and do we have access to it?

Here's the relevant parts of the entry:

Joseph Smith stated to them [Governor Ford and Col. Geddes] the origin of the difficulty, the facts relating to the Expositor press, the course pursued by the City Council; the legality, as they thought, of their legislation; the pledges that he had made by letter and sent by expresses to his Excellency, that he was willing to satisfy all legal claims in case it should be shown that the City Council had transcended their legal bounds, etc.,

Joseph said we were willing to pay for the press, as he did not want the owners to suffer any loss by it, [i. e. its suppression] neither did he wish such a libelous paper to be published in Nauvoo.

These express two pretty different notions. The first is just a statement that, if a jury found the City liable for damages, they would be paid. The second makes it sound as if Smith were willing to pay because he didn't want to hurt the owners. The second one is so contradictory to Smith's statements about his enemies that it seems likely to have been stated or added after the fact to make Smith look reasonable. The first, however, seems much more plausible as part of the argument to Ford. (More on that below.)

The second is Taylor's account of the meeting, which was written some years after the meeting. Do we have access to the original? Is there any evidence that what was printed in the History is not what Taylor actually wrote?

The relevant parts are:

Joseph Smith—Furthermore, in relation to the press, you say that you differ with me in opinion; be it so, the thing after all is a legal difficulty, and the courts I should judge competent to decide on that matter.

If our act was illegal, we are willing to meet it; and although I cannot see the distinction that you draw about the acts of the City Council, and what difference it could have made in point of fact, law, or justice, between the City Council's acting together or separate, or how much more legal it would have been for the Municipal Court, who were a part of the City Council, to act separate, instead of with the councilors.

[Page 585]

Yet, if it is deemed that we did a wrong in destroying that press, we refuse not to pay for it. We are desirous to fulfill the law in every particular, and are responsible for our acts.

This follows an argument by Smith that destruction of the press was legal, and Ford's argument that it was not.

The quoted passage is consistent with the first quote from the second but not with the second. There nothing in Taylor's account implying that Smith would volunteer to compensate the owner's of the press because he didn't want them to be hurt by the loss.

It also makes sense in terms of the plea Smith was making to the governor. Something like "Hey governor, I was right in having the press destroyed. But if I wasn't, get me a trial in a venue where I can get a fair shake and where I won't get killed by a mob. If I lose, we'll pay." Smith seemed convinced that the Council had the legal right to order the press destroyed, so I doubt he thought he'd lose in a fair trial.

Now, I understand Taylor's bias and the passage of time. But this account doesn't read to me like a biased account of the meeting. It presents Ford's argument in a straightforward manner and without editorial comment. And just based on these two accounts, I think it strains credulity to believe that Smith offered to pay for the press out of concern for its owners. But do you think it's within the range of reasonableness to conclude that Smith said he would pay for the press if he was tried and found liable?

Thanks.

_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

It's not so bad, as long as we consider soup to be finger food.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace