What is an anti-Mormon?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: What is an anti-Mormon?

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Also, why is Niadna's username so confusing for the people here? I've never seen so many misspellings of one username before.

Nee-ahd-nah

or

Nye-ahd-nah

Just... How?

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Also, why is Niadna's username so confusing for the people here? I've never seen so many misspellings of one username before.
I'll be honest, I was just too lazy to go back and look it up when I was writing my post. :twisted:
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Physics Guy wrote:For that, I plead guilty to bad argumentative writing myself, in this post.

Don't worry. There is no need for any of us to make an airtight case. It's not like we are Smac arguing for a death penalty before a jury of disgruntled MD&D moderators.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Nee-ahd-nah or Nye-ahd-nah

Just... How?

- Doc

I would have added in the missing vowels and pronounced it Nee-ah-deena.

Wonder how Ludwigm would have said that name? I think he was around before the great vowel shift.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
You mean she picked a fight and others took her up on it? And then she played the victim and now you making her a martyr? You mean she generalized individual posters into a group, couldn't keep track of individual themes within the thread, declared herself a bullied, and you're reinforcing the Mormon victimology routine?

Puh-lease...

- Doc

I'm not sure I"m going to go back and reevaluate. I didn't see her picking a fight, per se. The first page or two seemed to be going just fine. I don't know I know exactly when things seemed to go south, and I grant it could have been sparked by her (as I said she didn't seem to be doing herself any favors).

In the end, she felt unwelcome. that seemed clear to me. That's too bad. I don't know what all she would have brougth to the table, if anything. But I like to hear other voices. I'd rather make room for others and encourage them.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Stem wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
You mean she picked a fight and others took her up on it? And then she played the victim and now you making her a martyr? You mean she generalized individual posters into a group, couldn't keep track of individual themes within the thread, declared herself a bullied, and you're reinforcing the Mormon victimology routine?

Puh-lease...

- Doc

I'm not sure I"m going to go back and reevaluate. I didn't see her picking a fight, per se. The first page or two seemed to be going just fine. I don't know I know exactly when things seemed to go south, and I grant it could have been sparked by her (as I said she didn't seem to be doing herself any favors).

In the end, she felt unwelcome. that seemed clear to me. That's too bad. I don't know what all she would have brougth to the table, if anything. But I like to hear other voices. I'd rather make room for others and encourage them.

I think it’s too bad also. I’m not sure the current board culture is amenable to making room for others if those others are believing LDS folks.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

She's 100% welcome to post here, and I'm sure 99% of MDB posters would agree. Of course I'd love to see more Mormon posters, but it's been shown time and again most are a bit touchy and really don't do well in a forum that isn't moderated in their favor. as far as I know, the Celestial is the perfect place for them to participate, but at the end of the day they don't want that.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Niadna

Baby,

Come back and grade judge those who participated in your thread so everyone can know what kind of person they are. Get your pen out, girlfriend, and start grading:

A = very nice critic
B = good critic
C = just a another critic
D = anti-Mormon
F = terrible anti-Momron

Insert your grade in the box provided by each name: [A] person

[] Fence Sitter
[] Res Ipsa
[] huckelberry
[] Johannes
[] LittleNipper
[] I have a question
[] moksha
[] Always Changing
[] Gadianton
[] Polygamy-Porter
[] Themis
[] Physics Guy
[] Stem
[] candygal
[] karl61
[] Doctor CamNC4Me
[] Quasimodo
[] grindael
[] Shulem
[] RockSlider
[] Water Dog
[] Maksutov
[] Dr. Shades
[] Lemmie
[] Jersey Girl
[] Ceeboo
[] cwald
[] schreech
[] Kishkumen
[] DrW
[] Meadowchik
[] Xenophon
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Res Ipsa wrote:
I think it’s too bad also. I’m not sure the current board culture is amenable to making room for others if those others are believing LDS folks.

Cinepro has posted here for years without complaining about the culture here. I don't think it is a "culture" here that is the problem. Without moderation, the Farms defenses fall apart pretty quickly. We have a lot of non LDS posters here who hold religious beliefs. I don't see them complaining about a culture here that is not amenable to them expressing their own religious beliefs. Though part of that may be the fact that a lot of us are a lot better versed in the problems of Mormonism then we are of other religions coupled with this being a forum on Mormonism.

We've seen people like Niadna show up here before and we will again. If they had good arguments to present in defense of Mormonsim or if they were good at presenting an argument (she was neither) , there would be a lot more of them here. She didn't run into a recovery from Mormonism forum, she ran into a "Mormonism Unveiled forum."
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:

Cinepro has posted here for years without complaining about the culture here. I don't think it is a "culture" here that is the problem. Without moderation, the Farms defenses fall apart pretty quickly. We have a lot of non LDS posters here who hold religious beliefs. I don't see them complaining about a culture here that is not amenable to them expressing their own religious beliefs. Though part of that may be the fact that a lot of us are a lot better versed in the problems of Mormonism then we are of other religions coupled with this being a forum on Mormonism.

We've seen people like Niadna show up here before and we will again. If they had good arguments to present in defense of Mormonsim or if they were good at presenting an argument (she was neither) , there would be a lot more of them here. She didn't run into a recovery from Mormonism forum, she ran into a "Mormonism Unveiled forum."

That’s true as to Cinepro, and I’d be interested to hear what he thinks about the culture here. I do think the culture here is influenced by the good old days, when defenders and critics went at each other with hammer and tongs, often displaying antagonism and outright hostility. I think some of those attitudes get triggered when an LDS person references an apologetic argument that we all know is BS. in my opinion, the conversation here took a turn toward the hostile after the first claim that she was just reciting arguments from FAIR.

If we actually want believing LDS folks to come here and engage, then I would expect some critical self reflection after this thread. I see much more defense of our “tribe” than anything else.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951