Mormon Murder, Reed Christensen shot in the head...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Mormon Murder, Reed Christensen shot in the head...

Post by _I have a question »

NORTH SALT LAKE — Police say the discovery of a man's body inside his home earlier this month has turned into a homicide investigation.

On July 5, the body of Reed Christensen, 67, was found inside his North Salt Lake home, 215 E. Vista Way, "lying on the floor in a pool of blood," according to a pair of search warrant affidavits filed in 2nd District Court.

Christensen had a gunshot wound to his head, said North Salt Lake Police Chief Craig Black. Based on the evidence that has been collected, investigators believe Christensen was targeted by somebody and the killing was not random.

The evidence, Black said, "points to someone who knew the victim and the house and had knowledge when he would be home."

Christensen's wife told police she and her husband had gone to dinner in Murray the night before and got into an argument. After dinner, they drove on State Street toward 3300 South.

"During the drive the argument continued. Reed stopped the vehicle, and (his wife) exited the vehicle, somewhere between Macaroni Grill (near 6200 South) and 3300 South," the warrant states.

The wife told police that she did not have her cellphone and asked a stranger for a ride to her son's residence in Midvale, according to the warrant. She said she slept at her son's home that night. He was not home.

"(She) stated she asked a stranger, who is a neighbor to her son, to use their cellphone to call her husband Reed. After Reed did not answer the phone, she ordered an UBER to take her home to her residence," the affidavits state.

The wife used the neighbor's phone to order the Uber.

"When she arrived home, she entered the residence through the front door and noticed that there were several drawers to cabinets open in the kitchen area. She was calling for Reed, but received no response. She then went upstairs to check their bedroom for Reed, and found Reed's body lying on the floor in the door opening to their bedroom in a pool of blood," according to the warrants.

The wife said she then ran to a neighbor's house to call 911.

Detectives who searched the home did not find a weapon, Black said.

"An overview of Reed's body shows a gunshot wound to his head, but there is no weapon in plain view to confirm a suicide," the warrant states. "Once the medical examiner was able to move the body, a gun was not found under Reed's body. Officers have been processing the scene and have not been able to locate the gun."

The wife also told police her car should have been in the garage. But when she didn't find it, she assumed it had been stolen, the chief said. The car was found a couple of days later, abandoned and ransacked near 1500 South and West Temple, he said.

In addition, police say two cellphones were found in a toilet in the house.

Black noted that the initial statement given by the wife to police "has substantial discrepancies” with some of the evidence collected. Investigators were "working through" those discrepancies in an attempt "to reconcile her story with what the evidence shows," the chief said.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900 ... e-say.html

He was a member of the LDS Church.
Reed is survived by his wife; children Michael, Matthew, Amelia Joy, Alexander, Lauren, and Ryan. He is also survived by 4 step-children Chris, Michael Daniel, Zachary, and Jordan Kowitz; two grandchildren and a brother, Randy Christensen.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/saltla ... fhid=26176
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Re: Mormon Murder, Reed Christensen shot in the head...

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Looks like the wife has some explaining to do if the detectives are saying publicly that there are discrepancies with her story and the evidence at the scene. Husbands and wives are always prime suspects in these matters.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_GameOver
_Emeritus

Post by _GameOver »

I’ll bet his wife will be charged with his murder.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

I don’t think there is any doubt that the nods, the winks, the nudge nudge’s are all in the direction of his wife. The intrigue for me is in the why. It takes a lot for someone of that age to murder their spouse with a gun shot to the head, after clearly planning the alibi story and gun disposal etc. This doesn’t appear a spontaneous spur-of-the-moment act, but more likely to have come on the back of something more prolonged. I’d like to know what that was.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

Pretty convenient that she "forgot" her cell phone (and thus police can't use the GPS to prove she was at her son's house when she said she was).
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Black noted that the initial statement given by the wife to police "has substantial discrepancies” with some of the evidence collected. Investigators were "working through" those discrepancies in an attempt "to reconcile her story with what the evidence shows," the chief said

Where has faith gone? You mean evidence is important when there are discrepancies? Gosh. I wonder if there is a lesson here for Mormonism and history somehow, or something to do with Joseph Smith and polygamy and Brigham Young and Adam God, and Blacks and the Priesthood, or the Book of Abraham and the papyri or some such. I wonder why evidence is at a premium when all that is needed in reality is just a little faith, especially when there is contradictory evidences.... :rolleyes:
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Philo Sofee wrote:Where has faith gone? You mean evidence is important when there are discrepancies? Gosh. I wonder if there is a lesson here for Mormonism and history somehow, or something to do with Joseph Smith and polygamy and Brigham Young and Adam God, and Blacks and the Priesthood, or the Book of Abraham and the papyri or some such. I wonder why evidence is at a premium when all that is needed in reality is just a little faith, especially when there is contradictory evidences.... :rolleyes:

I'm sure many of these cops and detectives are LDS. Maybe they should just study it out in their mind and ask the Holy Ghost? They are making this so complicated. Come on man. Why do you need evidence when you have the holy ghost?
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

I have a question wrote: It takes a lot for someone of that age to murder their spouse with a gun shot to the head, after clearly planning the alibi story and gun disposal etc.

No, it doesn't.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

cwald wrote:Why do you need evidence when you have the holy ghost?

The detectives and other LDS members can be hard-bitten skeptics in non-church related matters.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Then there is doTerra and other related ponzi schemes where the H.G. comes back in a big way .....
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen