Nelsons social media fast. Is there an ulterior motive?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Nelsons social media fast. Is there an ulterior motive?

Post by _I have a question »

For over a year since the #MeToo movement began, women have turned to social media with stories of sexual harassment and calls for reform that have powerfully reshaped our society. In recent weeks, women have flooded Facebook and Twitter and Instagram with pleas to #BelieveWomen, as Brett M. Kavanaugh gained a seat on the U.S. Supreme Court amid turmoil over accusations of sexual assault. And with just weeks to go before the Nov. 6 midterms, women are sure to make their presence known online in an election largely centered on female candidates' surging campaigns and female voters' intensifying anger.

At this time, the president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints issued an unusual demand: Women, get off social media.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion ... 1658807789

Kathleen Flake, a professor of Mormon studies at the University of Virginia, said she does not think Nelson meant to rebuke the #MeToo movement or subdue women’s political activism.
Or did he?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Re: Nelsons social media fast. Is there an ulterior motive?

Post by _Maksutov »

Women should not worry their pretty little heads about Things of The World. Kinder, kuche, kirche. :twisted:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

I think the Post article backfires. It tries to show how unthoughtful the commandment from Nelson is by outlining all these legitimate excuses for not participating. The effect is that it shows these women in leadership taking it seriously. I would think the obvious reaction to Nelson, the revealer of little things that obviously don’t matter, would be blowing it off. But upon reading about these women in leadership struggling to take it seriously, other women may now take it more seriously then they would have, reasoning that these leader women want to obey, look at their own situation and see that they don’t have the same barriers for participating, and fall in line.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_GameOver
_Emeritus

Post by _GameOver »

An ulterior motive might be that Nelson wants to prevent gossipy women (because of course, only women are gossips) from discussing the lawsuit against his daughter and SIL for the sexual assault of children, until the story recedes into the background. Was this dictum given to the men also? It doesn’t appear so.
_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Post by _sunstoned »

GameOver wrote:An ulterior motive might be that Nelson wants to prevent gossipy women (because of course, only women are gossips) from discussing the lawsuit against his daughter and SIL for the sexual assault of children, until the story recedes into the background. Was this dictum given to the men also? It doesn’t appear so.

^this^
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Talk about shooting oneself in the foot...

SALT LAKE CITY ― “Jane and Emma” is set to premiere in theaters this weekend and as a final publicity push, the marketing team had intended to “rely heavily on social media” to spread the word.

That is, of course, until last Saturday when President Russell M. Nelson of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints invited all women in the church to participate in a 10-day social media fast. As a result, the marketing team decided to shift focus and regroup.

"I won't lie — initially, we were thrown for a loop by the announcement, but in the end we fell in love with the new plan,” said Chantelle Squires, director of "Jane and Emma," in a press release.

The “new plan” was to quickly organize a phone bank of women for this Thursday in the Canyons conference room of the Hilton Hotel in Salt Lake City. Call bank participants will have the opportunity to make personal phone calls to get the word out about the movie.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900 ... -fast.html

'...have the opportunity..."
In what way is manning a call centre for no pay because your leader has scuppered your entire promotional campaign, 'having an opportunity'?
Last edited by Guest on Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Interestingly, lds.org gives you the option of sharing Nelsons challenge to embark on a social media fast, through your Twitter and Facebook.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... l?lang=eng

You couldn't make this up.
_deacon blues
_Emeritus

Post by _deacon blues »

I'm reminded of this from a Joseph Smith speech (Oct. 15, 1843): "....set our women to work, and stop their spinning street yarns and talking about spiritual wives." :rolleyes: