Treasure Digging Podcast

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: Treasure Digging Podcast

Post by _Shulem »

JOSEPH: Brother Hyrum, hold yourself, let us not embark as yet, there is someone over there I don't care to greet. Let us hold our peace here for just a while longer.

HYRUM: No trouble, brother, what are a few more minutes to add to our long trip from Salem to Kirtland. We are here now, let us refresh ourselves.

JOSEPH: My heart remains heavy that we return back empty having found no treasure. Now I must face Emma and the brethren who are expecting to hear nothing more than success on our part.

HYRUM: Be not troubled, brother. We did our level best. Might I ask, who is that person over there you care not to meet?

JOSEPH: Oh please, brother, I cannot bear to have to face that dreadful man Shulem again. He gives me every reason to pause and I can tell he questions my every motive and intent.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Hi, Shulem.

Just want you to know I am loving how much enjoyment you are getting out of this little story.

It really is the gift that keeps on giving, isn't it?

By the way, this is the prophecy Daniel Peterson agreed did not come to pass.

It was a couple of years ago I was listening to a FAIR or NAMIR type radio show, and Daniel Peterson was on it.

A caller asked about the Salem prophecy and whether it came to pass.

Daniel Peterson immediately said, "No."

Just, "No."

No follow-up. No exploration as to what that means for other prophecies Joseph Smith claimed or doctrine he restored.

Just, "No."

I have little faith in my ability to locate this audio after so long, but maybe, just maybe, somebody else knows what I am talking about and can locate it . . . ?
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

consiglieri wrote:Hi, Shulem.

Just want you to know I am loving how much enjoyment you are getting out of this little story.

It really is the gift that keeps on giving, isn't it?

By the way, this is the prophecy Daniel Peterson agreed did not come to pass.

It was a couple of years ago I was listening to a FAIR or NAMIR type radio show, and Daniel Peterson was on it.

A caller asked about the Salem prophecy and whether it came to pass.

Daniel Peterson immediately said, "No."

Just, "No."

No follow-up. No exploration as to what that means for other prophecies Joseph Smith claimed or doctrine he restored.

Just, "No."

I have little faith in my ability to locate this audio after so long, but maybe, just maybe, somebody else knows what I am talking about and can locate it . . . ?

Yes, this little gift keeps on giving. It's a beauty. Thank you for the lovely reminder.

It suddenly occurred to me that this failed prophecy is not something Daniel Peterson is want to have to revisit. My immediate thoughts are that it may be a sore spot for him. If all he could say was "No" then it is not something he wants to discuss. Perhaps we can pour Salem salt into his wound and rub it in.

:biggrin:
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Doctrine and Covenants Student Manual

When Will the City of Salem Be Given to the Saints That They Shall “Have Power over It”?

(Sperry, Compendium, pp. 609–10) wrote:In due time the Almighty will give Salem into ‘your’ hands (vs. 4), that the Elders shall have power over it, insomuch that ‘they,’ probably meaning the people of the city, shall not discover ‘your secret parts’. (Cf. Isa. 3:17, ‘shame.’) Not only that, but also the wealth of the city, its gold and silver, shall be in possession of the brethren. This verse is obviously a prophecy of some future happening, even yet future, and evidently looks forward to a day when the Lord’s Kingdom will be established upon the earth, when towns, cities, and nations will be governed under his direction by brethren holding the Priesthood. When that day comes, the Elders of the Church will govern even Salem without being shamed by the people of the city. Its wealth will also be theirs. The meaning here is that it will be used, not so much for their own personal desires, as for righteous purposes.

There you have it, folks. The part about Smith getting power over the city and acquiring their gold and silver was a prophecy, a prophecy that Daniel C Peterson can't even deny. Was it fulfilled? NO! Joseph Smith lived and died never to obtain power over Salem and the gold and silver of that city forever remained a dream for the rest of his life.

The above apologetic is utterly false. It refuses to read the prophecy for what it is, a prophecy or blessing given specifically to Joseph Smith and the church during his day. The apologetic is wrestling the prophecy away from Smith and attempting to appropriate it to someone else in Smith's future. But that's not what the prophecy says or entails. The apologists have made their own prophecy in an attempt to excuse the one that failed. But in the end neither prophecy will come to pass. The gold, silver, and power of the city of Salem is not going to fall into the hands of The Church of Salt Lake City.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Prophecy wrote:And it shall come to pass in due time that I will give this city into your hands, that you shall have power over it, insomuch that they shall not discover your secret parts; and its wealth pertaining to gold and silver shall be yours.

Who is "YOU"? The same who was told to go build a temple in Jackson county Missouri. But that failed too. Nothing can ever undo that failure. Apologists can't undo the failed prophecies. All the apologists can do is make stuff up and lie to themselves. That's what they do best, lie.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

The Gift that Keeps Giving

D&C 111:4 wrote:And it shall come to pass in due time that I will give this city into your hands, that you shall have power over it, insomuch that they shall not discover your secret parts; and its wealth pertaining to gold and silver shall be yours.

OR

D&C 111:4 wrote:And it shall come to pass in due time (IN OVER 200 YEARS FROM NOW)

that I will give this city into your (NOT YOUR BUT THEIR) hands,

that you (NOT YOU BUT THEY) shall have power over it,

insomuch that they shall not discover your (NOT YOUR BUT THEIR) secret parts;

and its wealth pertaining to gold and silver shall be yours (NOT YOURS BUT THEIRS).

Thus saith the Lord to my servant Joseph Smith: You get diddly-squat. This is for future saints hundreds of years from now.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

QUESTION:

Mr. Peterson, has the D&C 111 prophecy of power and wealth been fulfilled?

NO!
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

JOSEPH: Hyrum, I got a revelation today about our venture in Salem.

HYRUM: What did the Lord say, this time?

JOSEPH: "And it shall come to pass in due time that I will give this city into your hands, that you shall have power over it, insomuch that they shall not discover your secret parts; and its wealth pertaining to gold and silver shall be yours."

SIDNEY: That's a wonderful prophecy, brother Joseph. In due time the Lord will bless us with more wealth and power.

JOSEPH: Yes, the Lord will bless us with all these things. The Spirit told me it would be fulfilled, the day is verily at hand.

OLIVER: We need to make plans and study this city out carefully lest they discover our secret parts and the Lord's word is not verified.

HYRUM: I'm told the bank of Salem holds more than a million dollars.

SIDNEY: Perhaps the saints can settle here and take over the commerce and elect new leaders.

JOSEPH: Yes, the prophecy will be fulfilled. The power and wealth of this city belongs to us. The Lord promised it by revelation.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Mormons TO DIVIDE AND CONQUER

The prophecy of D&C 111 in which Smith and his associates were promised they would have power over Salem and acquire gold and silver therefrom was simply another Mormon power play to divide and conquer. Apologists today in an attempt to delay fulfillment of the prophecy contend that the prophecy was not for Joseph's time but hundreds of years later. This flies in the face of everything Smith taught and claimed. The day was verily at hand.

Just months previously the Kirtland temple was dedicated. More revelation from Joseph Smith positively identifies the recipients of D&C 111 to be the same as those of D&C 110, the builders of the Kirtland temple:

110:6,7 wrote:Let the hearts of your brethren rejoice, and let the hearts of all my people rejoice, who have, with their might, built this house to my name.

For behold, I have accepted this house, and my name shall be here; and I will manifest myself to my people in mercy in this house.

Joseph Smith and the Latter Day Saints of his time are the same people in both revelations. But the prophecy failed. These people did not wrestle power from Salem or acquire its gold and silver.