Treasure Digging Podcast

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Treasure Digging Podcast

Post by _consiglieri »

A new RFM podcast went up yesterday titled, "Treasure Digging with Joseph Smith and John Steinbeck."

I think it is a fun romp and hopefully worth a listen.

I may have uncovered a nugget or two in the process.

https://mormondiscussionpodcast.org/201 ... steinbeck/

All the Best!

--RFM
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: Treasure Digging Podcast

Post by _Shulem »

should be real good
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Sweet! Thanks, consiglieri!
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_reflexzero
_Emeritus

Post by _reflexzero »

Really digs down to the bottom of the issue.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

reflexzero wrote:Really digs down to the bottom of the issue.

I see what you did there.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Now I need to read Tortilla Flat!
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Kishkumen wrote:Now I need to read Tortilla Flat!

Yes! Do read "Tortilla Flat." It's the most underappreciated Steinbeck book.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

The Greatest Treasure
“Section 111, The Greatest Treasure,” Doctrine and Covenants Student Manual (2002), 277–79

Historical Background

Section 111 is a good example of how understanding a revelation’s historical background can help us understand its spiritual significance.

In order to create an excuse to make it faith promoting. Anything to make it spiritual! Feel the Spirit!

The Kirtland Temple had been finished and dedicated in March 1836, leaving the Saints in Kirtland and the Church itself impoverished and deeply in debt. In addition, the troubles in Zion (Missouri) had also heavily taxed the spiritual and temporal resources of the Church, which was barely six years old at this time. Joseph Smith, Sidney Rigdon, Oliver Cowdery, and Hyrum Smith left Kirtland in late July and traveled to Salem, Massachusetts. They rented a house, preached publicly, and went from house to house to teach the gospel. During their stay at Salem Doctrine and Covenants 111 was given (see History of the Church, 2:464–65).

The church was broke and in debt. The prophet Joseph Smith was desperate. So why not go to Salem to find treasure?

Elder Brigham H. Roberts wrote: “Ebenezer Robinson, for many years a faithful and prominent elder in the church, and at Nauvoo associated with Don Carlos—brother of the Prophet—in editing and publishing the Times and Seasons, states that the journey to Salem arose from these circumstances. There came to Kirtland a brother by the name of Burgess who stated that he had knowledge of a large amount of money secreted in the cellar of a certain house in Salem, Massachusetts, which had belonged to a widow (then deceased), and thought he was the only person who had knowledge of it, or of the location of the house. The brethren accepting the representations of Burgess as true made the journey to Salem to secure, if possible, the treasure. Burgess, according to Robinson, met the brethren in Salem, but claimed that time had wrought such changes in the town that he could not for a certainty point out the house ‘and soon left.’” (Comprehensive History of the Church, 1:411.)

Burgess had knowledge of money and Joseph Smith loved money. Follow your nose where ever it goes!

Notes and Commentary
D&C 111:1–6. “I … Am Not Displeased … Notwithstanding Your Follies”
The Prophet Joseph Smith’s motives for following William Burgess’s suggestion to search for the hidden treasure in Salem were good, prompted by his love for the Saints and for the Church. It appeared that in one incredible stroke of good fortune the Church could gain money enough to clear itself of its debts and care for the suffering Saints in Kirtland and Zion. The leading elders had no thought of personal gain in the trip. So the Lord was not displeased with their journey, “notwithstanding [their] follies” (D&C 111:1).

I just love reading about the "follies" of Joseph Smith. It makes my ears tingle with delight to learn Smith was simply trying to get rich quick and his inspiration in doing so was totally worldly. Ha ha!

Their folly lay in the fact that less than three years earlier, the Prophet Joseph Smith had received counsel from the Lord about the Church’s indebtedness (see D&C 104:78–80; see also Notes and Commentary on D&C 104:78–80). At that time Church members were told that if they would humble themselves and seek through diligence and the prayer of faith to be relieved of their indebtedness, the Lord would send means for their deliverance. Now, still deeply in debt, Church leaders were trying to solve the financial difficulties of the Church through their own efforts. The Lord reminded them that He could give them power to pay their debts and that He would deal mercifully with Zion (see D&C 111:5–6).

I love putting the name Joseph Smith and FOLLY all in one sentence. Sweet. :lol:

Occasionally Church members with financial difficulties are tempted to seek relief in highly speculative investments. They focus on the hope that the Lord will take away their problems and reward their sincerity in a sensational way, when more often the Lord blesses us through quiet miracles or by giving us the means to work our way out of our problems. The lessons of section 111 are of great value to Saints in all circumstances.

Church members do get tempted including the prophet Joseph Smith. I wonder what kind of nasty temptations Russell M Nelson has been tempted with lately? What kind of folly has he exhibited?

The Lord allowed the Prophet Joseph to go to Salem, for in Salem was a treasure of much greater value to the kingdom than that for which they had come. There were many souls in Salem whom the Lord knew would accept the gospel. Their conversion would greatly benefit the Lord’s work because these new members of the Church would unite their efforts with those of the Saints and contribute generously to the cause of Zion.

Right. The Lord allowed Joseph Smith to go to Salem. He allowed it. He allowed him to get tempted, make a fool of himself, and greedily chase the Almighty buck in a pursuit of folly. That's the Spirit!

:lol:

Stupid Mormons.
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

Aren’t you glad you’re not involved in the tête-à-tête between Infants on Thrones & Mormon Stories
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Oh my God! So glad!
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)