David Bokovoy on Mormon Stories

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Phaedrus Ut
_Emeritus

David Bokovoy on Mormon Stories

Post by _Phaedrus Ut »

John Dehlin is interviewing David Bokovoy on Mormon Stories today. Many people here have interacted with David on these boards over the years. It's a great interview and very insightful about where he is now. Definitely one of the best I have watched.

Phaedrus
_lostindc
_Emeritus

Re: David Bokovoy on Mormon Stories

Post by _lostindc »

I am definitely going to try to listen this weekend. Is David a practicing Mormon or has he hit the middle way?
2019 = #100,000missionariesstrong
_Phaedrus Ut
_Emeritus

Post by _Phaedrus Ut »

lostindc wrote:I am definitely going to try to listen this weekend. Is David a practicing Mormon or has he hit the middle way?

Now that would spoil the whole thing. I highly recommend watching the video version, I'm watching it on Facebook right now. I think some of the context would be lost if I was just listening to the podcast.

I don't get the impression his beliefs have really changed that much from what I inferred from his writings before.

Phaedrus
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Huh. I decided to give it a go. I had no idea Dehlin was pronounced D'lynn. I always mind-prounounced it Dellin.

The things you learn...

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

Does not seem to be up yet on ms site
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

That was a really great interview. I watched most of it. I can see why David Bokovoy is so well-regarded. He's a thoughtful and measured man.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

No wonder those of us in the trailer park all who have followed David Bokovoy through these years can have nothing but the highest respect for this man. Yet the tent of the church provides no room for such. A truly Christlike man. In honor of one of David's noted 'prophets', might I suggest this prophet's words are a message to the church and to all of us.

Come gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone.
If your time to you
Is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'.

Come writers and critics
Who prophesize with your pen
And keep your eyes wide
The chance won't come again
And don't speak too soon
For the wheel's still in spin
And there's no tellin' who
That it's namin'.
For the loser now
Will be later to win

Come senators, congressmen
Please heed the call
Don't stand in the doorway
Don't block up the hall
For he that gets hurt
Will be he who has stalled
There's a battle outside
And it is ragin'.
It'll soon shake your windows
And rattle your walls

Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is
Rapidly agin'.
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand

The line it is drawn
The curse it is cast
The slow one now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past
The order is
Rapidly fadin'.
And the first one now
Will later be last

Thanks David Bokovoy!!
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

David's 'religion' being a focus on all things Kingdom of God, with a secondary and super nuance to all things doctrinal sounds to me to simply be secular humanism.

It seems to me that secular humanism has two components
1. what does the most good and least harm for the kingdom.
2. how has evolution evolved human beings to enable personal development of morals to help direct decisions about item 1.

I personally dislike the nuanced religion and it's neo-apologetics. In listening to David I wonder if his, what appears to me as, super nuance is basically just a philosophical layer to try and add meaning to our evolved morals and reason.

I look forward to the second interview set which will cover analysis of Mormon scripture!
_GameOver
_Emeritus

Post by _GameOver »

I’ve always appreciated David B. I just don’t understand how he can correctly deny the historicity of the Book of Mormon, and yet still believe Joseph Smith was a prophet. It’s one of those dichotomies also found in Quinn.

It’s a great interview though. I still have a ton of respect for David B.
_Simon Southerton
_Emeritus

Post by _Simon Southerton »

Very interesting interview that illustrates the powerful control the cult has over really smart and decent people. David needs to get out of Utah and surf a bit more so he can reach the most obvious conclusion of all. Joseph made it all up for money and sex.
LDS apologetics --> "It's not the crime, it's the cover-up, which creates the scandal."
"Bigfoot is a crucial part of the ecosystem, if he exists. So let's all help keep Bigfoot possibly alive for future generations to enjoy, unless he doesn't exist." - Futurama