Eleven year olds receive the Priesthood next month

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Re: Eleven year olds receive the Priesthood next month

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Too early for the comparison?

"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

Buckle up, we're just getting started! Shadowleaks has just released this:

Dear Sisters and Brothers:

Adult Responsibilities Extended to Youth

Pursuant to recent Revelation™, we realize that our beloved daughters may be as prepared as our noble sons, to assume greater responsibility than traditionally delegated to children, in the name of increasing their faith and unity.

To that end, we are delighted to announce the following change: Effective in January 2019, the recommended minimum age for dating and marriage has been lowered to 11 (eleven) years of age, for young women.

Young women will be eligible for marriage in January of the year they turn 12, whether their birthdays fall on January 1 or December 31 of that year. Marriage will, of course, continue to be an individual matter based on worthiness, readiness, and personal circumstances. Special limited-use recommends will be available to qualifying young women to allow them to participate in this sacred ordinance of exaltation.

That said, whom the Lord calls, He qualifies, so we encourage local leaders to implement these changes throughout January 2019. We caution against pridefully denying marriage to eleven-year-old girls who feel so called.

Additional information includes the benefit of normalizing teen marriages to former Presidents of the Church.

We love our precious girls young women and rejoice at being able to afford them the Lord’s eternal blessings even earlier in life. We hope that such changes will support all church members in keeping on the covenant path.

Sincerely,

https://sistersquorum.com/2018/12/14/sh ... mvmc8Pd5oQ
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

On the day a Utah Bishop is charged with the sexual abuse of minors, the Church gives Bishops everywhere access to even younger people.

You could not make this up.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_lemuel
_Emeritus

Post by _lemuel »

So...much...revelationing.
_toon
_Emeritus

Post by _toon »

I would have wanted this when I was that age.

Having a birthday late in the year, it really sucked to have to attend Primary with a bunch of younger kids when my friends who had already turned 12 moved on.

It was even worse when the Primary program came a round, bring the oldest and tallest sticking out like a sore thumb, getting to watch my friends in the audience make fun of me.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

I am surprised that the church didn't announce this change by saying that is some cases young men can receive the Aaronic priesthood a few months short of their 12th birthday.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_I have a question
_Emeritus

If I'm reading this right, a Bishop now has a years worth of Priesthood ordinations crammed into January, along with all the new temple recommend interviews. Just as he's finished all the tithing settlement interviews.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_I have a question
_Emeritus

toon wrote:I would have wanted this when I was that age.

Having a birthday late in the year, it really sucked to have to attend Primary with a bunch of younger kids when my friends who had already turned 12 moved on.

It was even worse when the Primary program came a round, bring the oldest and tallest sticking out like a sore thumb, getting to watch my friends in the audience make fun of me.

How is that going to be any different?
If I'm 12 years old in December 2019 I will be ordained a Deacon in January 2019.
If I'm 12 years old just a few weeks later in January 2020, I will be ordained 12 months after my buddies who were born in December.

We're buddies, my birthday is New Years Eve, your birthday is a day later New Years Day. We used to progress through our classes and quorums on the same Sunday. Now I will progress a full 12 months before you do.

You're going to have some 11 year olds in Primary AND some in youth, but probably in the same year group/class at school.

Here are the stated objectives behind this change:
"...designed to strengthen children and youth through increased faith in Jesus Christ, deeper understanding of His gospel, and greater unity with His Church and its members."

How does this better achieve those objectives, than the progression being birthday specific?
What problem is this change fixing?

How do you prepare a Sunday school lesson for a class that contains just-turned-11 year olds and nearly-18 years olds?
Last edited by Guest on Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

This appears to decimate 11-year old scouting.

Since Cubs and 11-year-old Scouting will continue to operate by birthdays while normal scout patrols will take all those going to Deacons quorum, 11-year-old scout patrols will be entirely empty the first week of January and fill up as kids turn 11 throughout the year. You'll have either an excess of adults sitting around with no Scouts in the first quarter, overstuffed patrols with inadequate leadership in the last quarter, or both.

https://www.deseretnews.com/user/commen ... aints.html