DCP: Booted Off of "multiple Facebook groups"?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Markk
_Emeritus

Re: DCP: Booted Off of "multiple Facebook groups"?

Post by _Markk »

My two cents is that Dan had his ass kissed for so long when he was the poster boy for mopology he actually believed he knew what he was talking about, and he still believes he is relevant, when in reality he is the Bill O'reilly of Mopology. He lost his platform and is still trying to stay relevant from Siberia. I say let him drink his mead.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/dDwM/bud-light- ... r-everyone
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Bonus novus dies omnis!

Oh, what a glorious life we lead when friends and family share our mead. Last evening I had the fortuitous luck of passing time in the home of some good friends who, out of respect for their privacy shall remain unnamed, but let's just say the matriarch is often referred to as a "Giant of Our City". Music filled her domicile; we were positively giddy what with being treated to a troupe of traditional Chinese dancers recreating the wondrous traditional steps of the Han dynasty royal performers, vocalists regaling us with West African homages to the Great Continent, Latter-day Saint cellists, and of course the food! Oh, the tasty tapestry of ethnic Guatemalan, Honduran, and Belizean holiday fare! And to wrap this phenomenal evening up in a giant Christmas bow, we were compelled through good cheer to sing in unison Mykola Leontovych's giddy Carol of the Bells. Allow me to share the warm lyrics here:

Hark how the bells,
Sweet silver bells,
All seem to say,
Throw cares away

Christmas is here,
Bringing good cheer,
To young and old,
Meek and the bold.

Ding dong ding dong
That is their song
With joyful ring
All caroling.

One seems to hear
Words of good cheer
From everywhere
Filling the air.

Oh how they pound,
Raising the sound,
O'er hill and dale,
Telling their tale.

Gaily they ring
While people sing
Songs of good cheer,
Christmas is here.

Merry, Merry, Merry, Merry Christmas,
Merry, Merry, Merry, Merry Christmas.

On on they send,
On without end,
Their joyful tone
To every home.

Ding dong ding dong
Ding dong ding dong

Hark how the bells,
Sweet silver bells,
All seem to say,
Throw cares away
(We will throw cares away)

Christmas is here,
Bringing good cheer,
To young and old,
Meek and the bold.
(Bringing cheer to the young and old)

Oh how they pound,
Raising the sound,
O'er hill and dale,
Telling their tale.

Gaily they ring
While people sing
Songs of good cheer,
Christmas is here.

Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas

On on they send,
On without end,
Their joyful tone
To every home.

I'm reminded of, in my judgment, Eric Whitacre's Little Tree set to a poem by E.E. Cummings is nothing short of gorgeous, haunting music. Not only that, he dedicated it to his little sister as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x2d23rJ6Yg

I can't help but juxtapose this Christmas spirit with the antagonistic pugilism of our good friend Mr. Daniel C. Peterson, who can shift seamlessly between knock down drag out fights on Facebook, his blog (especially in the comments section), and on various forms of media to the aura of humanity demonstrated by the music above, by Salt Lake City's 'giant', and the people who regaled us with beauty. Quite a stark difference!

I suppose I'm left with the thought that Mr. Peterson provides us with a hardened example of man's duality. On the one hand he shows himself as judgmental bigot, but on the other he shows himself as a sort of self-proclaimed Latter-day Saint polymath; a worldly man, cultured, enjoying the best of music, food, and company! No wonder the Church continues to employ him. He is a man about town, and I for one am grateful he continues to be an exemplar of LDS values.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Respectfully,

Dr. CamNC4Me
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Kishkumen wrote:
Exiled wrote:Perhaps Hamblin didn't want any help? Maybe Hamblin thought he was actually winning the argument and therefore didn't think he needed a life preserver?

Other Mopologists did jump into the fray. Neal Rappleye did, I believe. Young Smoot might have said something. I don’t recall it being a closed discussion.

Doctor Scratch wrote:That's correct: Rappleye really tried to go toe-to-toe with Jenkins. Smoot commented here and there, but not in a sustained way.

I think it was Rappleye who tried to impress Jenkins with the extent of publications supporting the mopologist position. When it turned out that the "publications" were all just lds vanity press or nonprofessional journals like the Interpreter, Jenkins moved on. The one exception was a Warren Aston paper that Rappleye tried to present as support for the NMH argument. Jenkins rightly pointed out that nothing in that paper supported or even referenced the Book of Mormon concept, and in fact had nothing at all to do with the argument at hand. Jenkins concluded by telling Rappleye that misrepresenting resources was a grave professional error and ignored his efforts to keep pushing lds references after that.

As Kishkumen pointed out, no substance.
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

Back when Peterson engaged arguments on message boards I got the general idea that he had a good sense of which arguments at least had positions that held a possibility of defense.

I feel no surprise he declined t charge up that hill. Fredericksburg. Unlike union soldiers he had a choice.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

huckelberry wrote:Back when Peterson engaged arguments on message boards I got the general idea that he had a good sense of which arguments at least had positions that held a possibility of defense.

I feel no surprise he declined t charge up that hill. Fredericksburg. Unlike union soldiers he had a choice.

And he chose to cower in the shadows, and leave his fellow soldier uncovered and taking fire.

Hamblin should've Fedexed him a white feather.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

I have a question wrote:
huckelberry wrote:Back when Peterson engaged arguments on message boards I got the general idea that he had a good sense of which arguments at least had positions that held a possibility of defense.

And he chose to cower in the shadows, and leave his fellow soldier uncovered and taking fire.

Hamblin should've Fedexed him a white feather.

Charging up the hill at Fredericksburg provided cover to no one , not even the idiot general who thought it was a good idea.