What are the new changes to the Endowments?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_mocnarf
_Emeritus

Re: What are the new changes to the Endowments?

Post by _mocnarf »

Fence Sitter wrote:Rumor mill over at MAD has it that it will be shortened.

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/abwknz/summary_of_temple_changes_we_know_so_far_morning/
Aim at at nothing and you're sure to hit it.
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/temple-worship

The First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has issued the following statement:

"Whenever the Lord has had a people on the earth who will obey His word, they have been commanded to build temples. Scriptures document patterns of temple worship from the times of Adam and Eve, Moses, Solomon, Nephi, and others.

With the restoration of the gospel in these latter days, temple worship has also been restored to bless the lives of people across the world and on the other side of the veil as well.

Over these many centuries, details associated with temple work have been adjusted periodically, including language, methods of construction, communication, and record-keeping. Prophets have taught that there will be no end to such adjustments as directed by the Lord to His servants.

A dedicated temple is the most holy of any place of worship on the earth. Its ordinances are sacred and are not discussed outside a holy temple."
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

A dedicated temple is the most holy of any place of worship on the earth. Its ordinances are sacred and are not discussed outside a holy temple.

Yeah right. Those penalties were so sacred! The whole world is going to find out about those CULT Mormon penalties thanks to the Internet.

SHOUT THE PENALTIES UPON THE ROOFTOPS!

The church cannot hide them. Everyone must know and will know!

:twisted:
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

From what I gather the changes are an improvement for women especially. There will also be fewer steps and a shorter experience overall. I welcome the changes for women, but for the most part the Church has been hamhanded and irresponsible in its handling of the ritual and its symbolism.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_GameOver
_Emeritus

Post by _GameOver »

"Whenever the Lord has had a people on the earth who will obey His word, they have been commanded to build temples. Scriptures document patterns of temple worship from the times of Adam and Eve, Moses, Solomon, Nephi, and others.

Such crap. Adam and Eve never built a temple, neither did Moses, nor were they “commanded” to. And Nephi is a fictional character in a fictional book which doesn’t mention temples at all.

The Church is so full of it.
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

Sounds like they changed a number of the things that I critiqued in my 2016 master's thesis.

You're welcome.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Post by _sunstoned »

First the oath of vengeance on the united states was removed. Then they dumped the blood oaths and the naked touching. Now this? Kinda makes you wonder who is really calling the shots.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Here's how the Brethren explained the changes to the general membership and public at large:

With the restoration of the gospel in these latter days, temple worship has also been restored to bless the lives of people across the world and on the other side of the veil as well.

Over these many centuries, details associated with temple work have been adjusted periodically, including language, methods of construction, communication, and record-keeping. Prophets have taught that there will be no end to such adjustments as directed by the Lord to His servants.

A dedicated temple is the most holy of any place of worship on the earth. Its ordinances are sacred and are not discussed outside a holy temple."

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/temple-worship

I note the changes being made are not adjustments to "language, methods of construction, communication, and record-keeping." at all. This statement is yet another example of the Brethren [s]lying[/] misleading people and overestimating their own institutional ability to kip a lid on things.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Sanctorian wrote:These changes seem to be reflective of the amount of men leaving the church. Women no longer covenant to their apostate husbands but covenant directly to the church. It’s a play on the changing demographics and is another signal the church is losing on all fronts.
Interesting. A practical way to keep the women attached to the church, then, when a lack of men renders the emphasis that a woman can't progress without a man impractical. I think you are on to something. This could be the one reason that women might end up being ordained, also.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Lemmie wrote:This could be the one reason that women might end up being ordained, also.

Once that happens we can pull out all those quotes from past apostles & prophets that were against women being ordained and have them rolled over by the ole Mormon bus. The Mormon bus loves to run over the dead prophets.