The stone rolls forth: Church is closing 12 missions

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Re: The stone rolls forth: Church is closing 12 missions

Post by _Dr Exiled »

lemuel wrote:Saw this on the Church's Twitter feed:

https://Twitter.com/LDSchurch/status/1080610697598296064

the headline:
Four new missions will open in July. See other changes to the Church’s missions.

Not surprising. The church operates under the pretense that anything is true as long as enough people believe it. So, only tell of the times when one wins at the blackjack table, not the downer losses that suck the life out of the people. Then keep accentuating the 1% positive until the targets forget the 99% horse crap.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Equality
_Emeritus

Post by _Equality »

Sanctorian wrote:My mission is one of those being closed. It’s quite the contrast from the time elder oaks visited and prophesied an “explosion of converts”. Guess that never happened. :rolleyes:

No doubt he conditioned his "prophecy" on the faithfulness of the members and missionaries within the mission boundaries. The closing of the mission simply shows that the Restoredchurchofjesuschristians in that area were not faithful enough to receive the promised apostolic blessings that would have been theirs had they not masturbated so much and drunk so many caffeinated beverages.
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

Irvine? That is more or less where the new Temple is (Newport)?

Question...what does it mean to close a Mission like Irvine? What and who will it effect?

Does this mean no more Missionaries in Irvine or will the closest Mission, in this case Anaheim cover this area?
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

the headline:
Four new missions will open in July. See other changes to the Church’s missions.

Wow this is 1984ish spin at its best. This verges on being cultish that they spin the net loss of 8 missions as a growth of 4.
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

Markk wrote:Irvine? That is more or less where the new Temple is (Newport)?

Question...what does it mean to close a Mission like Irvine? What and who will it effect?

Does this mean no more Missionaries in Irvine or will the closest Mission, in this case Anaheim cover this area?

My understanding is the missions will be realigned and coverage of those areas will be maintained by the other missions that expand geographical coverage.
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

Sanctorian wrote:My understanding is the missions will be realigned and coverage of those areas will be maintained by the other missions that expand geographical coverage.

Same as any other multi-billion dollar corporation.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

I don't understand why the number of missions would be reducing when the Church is opening double digit n umbers of Stakes every day of our lives...
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

the headline:

Here is the Church's definition of "lying", which it seems appropriate to post in response to the LDS Tweet on missions changes.
Lying is intentionally deceiving others. Bearing false witness is one form of lying. The Lord gave this commandment to the children of Israel: “Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour” (Exodus 20:16). Jesus also taught this when He was on earth (see Matthew 19:18). There are many other forms of lying. When we speak untruths, we are guilty of lying. We can also intentionally deceive others by a gesture or a look, by silence, or by telling only part of the truth. Whenever we lead people in any way to believe something that is not true, we are not being honest.

https://www.lds.org/manual/gospel-princ ... y?lang=eng
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

I have a question wrote:
Here is the Church's definition of "lying", which it seems appropriate to post in response to the LDS Tweet on missions changes.
Lying is intentionally deceiving others. Bearing false witness is one form of lying. The Lord gave this commandment to the children of Israel: “Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour” (Exodus 20:16). Jesus also taught this when He was on earth (see Matthew 19:18). There are many other forms of lying. When we speak untruths, we are guilty of lying. We can also intentionally deceive others by a gesture or a look, by silence, or by telling only part of the truth. Whenever we lead people in any way to believe something that is not true, we are not being honest.

https://www.LDS.org/manual/gospel-princ ... y?lang=eng

But is pointing out the lying of leaders "speaking ill of the Lord's anointed"? Ah, the ethical travails of gods in embryo. :biggrin:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_lemuel
_Emeritus

Post by _lemuel »

It keeps getting better. "Boundary realignments"

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/church-announces-new-missions-boundary-realignments

Headline: "Church Announces New Missions, Boundary Realignments"

Lower text: "The Church will also realign the boundaries for the following 12 missions in July 2019 and merge them with adjoining missions:"