Mormon Newsroom throws Elder Holland under a bus...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Mormon Newsroom throws Elder Holland under a bus...

Post by _I have a question »

In an article about the closure of a number of Missions there's this little gem...
The number of missionaries initially surged to over 88,000 before receding to 65,000 missionaries today, as expected.

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/ ... alignments

Did you get that? "As expected". Well that's not what Elder Holland was expecting.
"We're projecting out probably within four years," apostle Jeffrey R. Holland told a radio interviewer, "the base-line number for the missionary force will be something around 100,000."

http://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?i ... type=CMSID
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_GameOver
_Emeritus

Re: Mormon Newsroom throws Elder Holland under a bus...

Post by _GameOver »

So much for profiteers and regulators.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Poor guy can’t help but exaggerate and fudge.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

My Brethren of the Priesthood let it be known that said Holland spake as a man,and therewith being no condescencion of the Holy Ghost within his breast, there is, thankfully, no damage to the great image of the church. The church is always going to be true, though men make minor errors of no consequence, the church rolls forth as a train on wings roaring throughout the land in total triumph and hurrah! Yeah though we face the shadow of the internet of doubt, we shall fear no knowledge, for ours is the rock, and the Ghost, and the universe, amen.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

They keep adding the "as expected" every time they report the number. And they keep saying something like"As that surge passed, we're now down to around 75,000 missionaries, which is where we think we'll stay for a period of time as that gradually increases,” he said."

Each time they talked about the number of missionaries after the surge, they would say, it's around this number and it'll be there for a bit then it'll increase.

"as expected" my ass.

no doubt the best story in this, of course, is Elder Holland predicting 100,000.

In the end the surge added nothing besides more missionaries going for a short time together. I think it's back down. And some would suggest it was a bad thing in that many missionaries are proving too young to be going. But it was revelation, as they claim.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

This just in from our favorite dodo:

"Stones are filling the earth, 100,000 missionaries is just a few years away, and each new generation is nobler and greater than before! Keep paying those tithes and contributions and strap on your helmets because new and exciting rearrangements of deck chairs are coming .... FROM THE LORD!"
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Newsroom wrote:as expected

Do they have a source or reference wherein the "as expected" can be linked to the present results? Other than Holland's 100,000 prophecy what else has been said by the official Newsroom to verify their current statement?
_Mormonicious
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormonicious »

Evidently Holland attended Trump University.
Revelation 2:17 . . give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. Thank Google GOD for her son eBay, you can now have life eternal with laser engraving. . oh, and a seer stone and save 10% of your life's earning as a bonus. See you in Mormon man god Heaven Bitches!!. Bring on the Virgins
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_2bizE
_Emeritus

Post by _2bizE »

I believe that 65,000 is somewhere around 100,000 is it not? Somewhere?
~ 2BizE