Dan Vogel Interview on Mormon Stories Podcast

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_GameOver
_Emeritus

Dan Vogel Interview on Mormon Stories Podcast

Post by _GameOver »

I haven’t listened to this yet, but I’m really looking forward to it.

The preliminary podcast is on Facebook right now. It should be on the Mormonstories.org webpage shortly.

https://Facebook.com/mormonstories
_Mormon Think
_Emeritus

Re: Dan Vogel Interview on Mormon Stories Podcast

Post by _Mormon Think »

yeah, been waiting for this for a long time. :razz:
_Uther
_Emeritus

Post by _Uther »

Yes, Dan is a gift to Mormon studies, and an intervew that I am looking forward to listening to.
About Joseph Smith.. How do you think his persona was influenced by being the storyteller since childhood? Mastering the art of going pale, changing his voice, and mesmerizing his audience.. How do you think he was influenced by keeping secrets and lying for his wife and the church members for decades?
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

DON'T MISS ANY OF THESE. They are long, sure, but John does an excellent job of picking Dan's brain. I couldn't be more pleased with how John handled this important interview. He kept it on track and got a lot out of Dan, and let him go with minimal (I think) interruptions. Dan would get a little off track sometimes and John would bring him back to important points that needed to be explained. Loved it, and I LEARNED A LOT. Yes I did. It's uncanny, I'm doing a blog Joseph's first two Histories, with a prelude of all the treasure hunting stuff, and I've been on the phone constantly in the last two weeks with Mike Marquardt and this stuff from Vogel couldn't have come at a more perfect time. Got a lot of good stuff to share and I'll be sure and put the links to all Dan's videos and these podcasts in my blog article.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_Dan Vogel
_Emeritus

Post by _Dan Vogel »

grindael wrote:DON'T MISS ANY OF THESE. They are long, sure, but John does an excellent job of picking Dan's brain. I couldn't be more pleased with how John handled this important interview. He kept it on track and got a lot out of Dan, and let him go with minimal (I think) interruptions. Dan would get a little off track sometimes and John would bring him back to important points that needed to be explained. Loved it, and I LEARNED A LOT. Yes I did. It's uncanny, I'm doing a blog Joseph's first two Histories, with a prelude of all the treasure hunting stuff, and I've been on the phone constantly in the last two weeks with Mike Marquardt and this stuff from Vogel couldn't have come at a more perfect time. Got a lot of good stuff to share and I'll be sure and put the links to all Dan's videos and these podcasts in my blog article.

You are too kind. Thanks! John wants to do four more hours at least over the internet in a couple of weeks. I don't know how much listeners can take.
I do not want you to think that I am very righteous, for I am not.
Joseph Smith (History of the Church 5:401)
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

Oh, we can take it. And I've only listened to them once and plan to go back and do so again. I took some notes during pt. ii, (about three pages), but just wanted to listen after that, so I have to go back and finish my notes. I think it's great to come out and talk about these subjects, you've been buried in research for a while and it's interesting to see the conclusions you draw from it. I particularly noted that when John would ask you questions, you didn't stray from the evidence, sure you have some opinions, but some of the sillier things you simply shut down because there is simply nothing there and so it's pointless to speculate about it. (Like for example did Emma really know the plates were fake, or did she peek at them, or was she in on it, etc.) I like that you give people the benefit of the doubt where it is warranted, based on the evidence.

One thing brought up that I found a useful line of thought, if Joseph could not get the stone to work for finding treasure (it kept slipping away into the earth), then why should anyone believe that it worked when he "translated" the Book of Mormon?

The stone as Joseph's "power". He used the Chase stone because Willard and his sister were also "gifted", and so that stone had a special provenance that helped Joseph's reputation. I wrote in my notes that the "plates become the stone". The plates were really nothing special, Joseph tried to de-emphasize them, and his stone is the conduit to "revelation". He doesn't need the plates. That prop could only go so far. But the stone, he could take that to new heights. How are they going to know if it works or not if it is buried in a hat with his face covering it up?

Lots more insights in these valuable podcasts. (Hope I got the above right, I have to listen again and take more detailed notes). Always eager for more, Dan.
_GameOver
_Emeritus

Post by _GameOver »

grindael wrote:The stone as Joseph's "power". He used the Chase stone because Willard and his sister were also "gifted", and so that stone had a special provenance that helped Joseph's reputation. I wrote in my notes that the "plates become the stone". The plates were really nothing special, Joseph tried to de-emphasize them, and his stone is the conduit to "revelation". He doesn't need the plates. That prop could only go so far. But the stone, he could take that to new heights. How are they going to know if it works or not if it is buried in a hat with his face covering it up?

Agreed. And Joseph Smith didn’t need the stone either. Joseph was convincing as a “revelator” because he was essentially a medium - a necromancer, which can involve a temporary or permanent spirit possession. The stone was simply a prop. It could have been a cow turd, it wouldn’t have mattered. He used the stone as an anchor to spirit communications.
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Post by _aussieguy55 »

I would liked to hear about his relationship wit Wes Walters who wrote the famous revival article in Dialogue Spring 1969.
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_Mormon Think
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormon Think »

Are these videos available yet? I don't see them on the mormonstories website.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

Hey Bill,

Here is the link to the videos, they are on the Facebook page, And they are difficult to find off the bat, but go to "videos" on the sidebar, and they are listed under "all videos" subcategory. These were broadcast "live", and so the videos aren't done for the website yet, I assume.

Here is Pt. 1

https://www.Facebook.com/mormonstories/ ... 746413436/

Pt. 2

https://www.Facebook.com/mormonstories/ ... 712556997/

Pt. 3

https://www.Facebook.com/mormonstories/ ... 175014722/