Why didn't Nelson heal "Robert"?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Why didn't Nelson heal "Robert"?

Post by _I have a question »

Nelson then delved into a story about he and his wife, Wendy, visiting one of her young cousins two weeks ago. The cousin, whom he gave the pseudonym “Robert,” is a Brigham Young University student who had just returned from a mission trip when he had a skiing accident that left him with a fractured spine, split sternum, broken ribs and no feeling in his legs.

Nelson said family and friends fasted and prayed that God would heal Robert from his wounds, but said that they found comfort in knowing that “Robert is of Abraham.”

"All the promises the Lord made to Abraham are for Robert too — if he keeps his covenants,” he said. “At this moment, Robert’s spinal cord has been severed, but his blessings through the Abrahamic covenant are intact.”

https://eu.azcentral.com/story/news/loc ... 808519002/

Did he even try?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Re: Why didn't Nelson heal "Robert"?

Post by _Maksutov »

When was the last time a LDS prophet healed the sick? :lol: Or prophesied. Or translated. Or was a "seer".
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

He doesn't want to show off .... just like all the other prophets. However, deep down, we know they could heal the world, feed the hungry, etc., etc.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_GameOver
_Emeritus

Post by _GameOver »

Nelson doesn’t have the power to heal, nor is he a Prophet.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

I bet Nelson doesn’t believe he could heal anyone. He likely has little faith in such powers.
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

You antis can go to hell!

Go to hell.

_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Post by _sunstoned »

Several years ago while dedicating the new temple in Payson, DHO visited my friend (and former Bishop) who lives down the street from me in Payson. The bishop's wife was diabetic, and was battling heart failure. Dallin and my Bishop's wife were friends and had dated dated during their teen age years. He had come be to see his old friend and gave her a blessing. It was a kind thing to do, and I don't fault him at all for it. But of course, it didn't change her condition, and she passed away several weeks later.

Good intentions aside, I wish they would drop the pretense. There is no priesthood power. It is all wishful thinking.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

You know, the thought occurred to me last night that there was probably enough faith in that stadium that President Nelson actually could heal a few people if he just gave it the old college try.

But his faith, like that of Peter, isn't strong enough to stay above the water.

Or to even try to walk on it.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_lemuel
_Emeritus

Post by _lemuel »

consiglieri wrote:You know, the thought occurred to me last night that there was probably enough faith in that stadium that President Nelson actually could heal a few people if he just gave it the old college try.

Many differences between Russ and Peter:

Dominic continued to preach and to debate where he could, and in 1215 he founded an order of preachers, who were to live in poverty, and devote themselves to studying philosophy and theology and to combatting false doctrine by logical argument rather than by the use of force. He was convinced that a major obstacle to the conversion of heretics was the material wealth of some of the clergy, which made plausible the accusation that they were concerned for their purses and not for the glory of God, and made workers indisposed to hear them. He therefore determined that the brothers of his order should live lives of poverty and simplicity, being no better off materially than those they sought to convert. When he was in Rome, seeking authorization for his order from the Pope, the Pope gave him a tour of the treasures of the Vatican, and remarked complacently (referring to Acts 3:6), "Peter can no longer say, 'Silver and gold have I none.'" Dominic turned and looked straight at the Pope, and said, "No, and neither can he say, 'Rise and walk.'" He got the permission he was seeking, and the order grew and flourished.
_malkie
_Emeritus

Post by _malkie »

consiglieri wrote:You know, the thought occurred to me last night that there was probably enough faith in that stadium that President Nelson actually could heal a few people if he just gave it the old college try.

Some years ago I was a member of a ward in which there was a young man (perhaps 30 years old) who had been suffering from a degenerative disease. (I'm being deliberately obscure, to try to avoid any possibility of the ward or person being identified.)

The bishop took the unusual step of gathering the Melchizedek priesthood holders of the ward and using their combined priesthood power to pronounce a blessing of healing on the man.

If you cannot predict the results of this blessing, you have not been paying attention.

In the following several years that I was a member of the ward, I never heard anyone - including the afflicted man - refer to that blessing.
NOMinal member

Maksutov: "... if you give someone else the means to always push your buttons, you're lost."