Abducted in Plain Sight

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Abducted in Plain Sight

Post by _Kishkumen »

I don’t know how much this documentary has been discussed here, but holy @#&$! A pedophile in Pocatello finds the easiest marks in the world and “seduces” their daughter right under their noses, raping her hundreds of times and kidnapping her twice. He silenced the parents by seducing each one individually and holding that information over them, even manipulating them into signing affidavits claiming they had consented to their daughter going on a long trip with the perp. The pedo brainwashes the girl with a scenario about being half alien and saving a dying planet by having a child with her rapist.

At every turn, I am shouting at the television, “What in the actual $@%k?!?!?!?”

And the answer screaming back from the tv is. . . .

sheltered.

Mormon.

community.

The pedo rapist piece of garbage was a temple worker for 7 years.

And when you consider how he pulled it off, you can’t help but consider the models his religious community provided. The manipulation and deception. Playing on the gullibility of others.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Re: Abducted in Plain Sight

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Link: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rents.html

Kish wrote:The pedo brainwashes the girl with a scenario about being half alien and saving a dying planet by having a child with her rapist.

This is almost as crazy as telling your wife an angel with a flaming sword is going to kill me if don't let me take another spouse.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

I feel sick just reading your post, Rev. I don’t think I could bring myself to watch.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Res Ipsa wrote:I feel sick just reading your post, Rev. I don’t think I could bring myself to watch.

My reaction was to feel enraged toward both Berchtold and the victim’s moron parents.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Kishkumen wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:I feel sick just reading your post, Rev. I don’t think I could bring myself to watch.

My reaction was to feel enraged toward both Berchtold and the victim’s moron parents.

I wonder how many years the Bishop knew about this abuse without going to the authorities.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:I wonder how many years the Bishop knew about this abuse without going to the authorities.

The bishop knew he was a pedo. His brother knew he was a pedo.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Kishkumen wrote:
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:I wonder how many years the Bishop knew about this abuse without going to the authorities.

The bishop knew he was a pedo. His brother knew he was a pedo.

It's one of the most disturbing things I've seen recently. :eek:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Grudunza
_Emeritus

Post by _Grudunza »

There aren’t enough puke emojis to sufficiently describe the reaction I had to this. Unbelievable and horrible the lengths it went to.
http://www.WeirdAlma.com
Weird Alma - Prophet of the New Disputation
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Kishkumen wrote:

One of my fears about being a parent has been that my kids would be harmed because I exposed them to danger that I should have seen.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

And yet several local families had been troubled enough by Berchtold’s attempts to get close to their children that the church intervened. People knew, or certainly had surmised, that he was a threat. Faith leaders knew. The Brobergs seemingly knew. Nonetheless Berchtold, even after his conviction and his briefest of interludes in prison, was able not only to be around children, but also to purchase and run a “family-fun center” as a business.

See https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/02/abducted-plain-sight-review-netflix-documentary-robert-berchtold-brobergs/582145/