CNN Article On Mormon Name Change

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Re: CNN Article On Mormon Name Change

Post by _honorentheos »

Fence Sitter wrote:Is anyone else wondering why God has to wake up His prophet in the middle of the night to talk to him?

I read this article this morning. I was somewhat shocked by it. I was left with the impression of Nelson as much more fundamentalist, self-aggrandizing and lacking in basic self-awareness with a genuine, almost mentally unstable belief in his own unique relationship with God that was more than I was prepared to believe was possible.

It honestly left me feeling a bit uneasy for those of my family still in, suspecting now that the Church is being led by a Captain Ahab.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

Fence Sitter wrote:Is anyone else wondering why God has to wake up His prophet in the middle of the night to talk to him?

What ever happened to the Holy of Holies? The one in Manti got repurposed for a sealing room. Do they still keep the door closed on the one in the SLC Temple?
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

honorentheos wrote:

I read this article this morning. I was somewhat shocked by it. I was left with the impression of Nelson as much more fundamentalist, self-aggrandizing and lacking in basic self-awareness with a genuine, almost mentally unstable belief in his own unique relationship with God that was more than I was prepared to believe was possible.

It honestly left me feeling a bit uneasy for those of my family still in, suspecting now that the Church is being led by a Captain Ahab.

You and me both, honor.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

I wonder if Nelson has tried using the seer stones in the church vault yet, or maybe God is having Nelson practice using a lighted pen first. And, does Wendy read the words back to his to make sure he got them correct?
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

I am predicting someone will capitalize on this by marketing cheap yellow notebooks and lighted pens to the faithful as an aid to prayer and scripture study.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

Fence Sitter wrote:I am predicting someone will capitalize on this by marketing cheap yellow notebooks and lighted pens to the faithful as an aid to prayer and scripture study.

Sure beats the hell out of "Ponderizing".
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

With paper and lighted pen at the ready every night, it may well be that it's the prophet who is waking up God.

Image.

_annie
_Emeritus

Post by _annie »

Sometimes the spirit prompts the prophet's wife to leave the bed, though she'd rather sleep. One such morning, Wendy Nelson told Mormon leaders, her husband emerged from the bedroom waving a yellow notebook.

Since he's wide-awake while taking divine dictation, why doesn't the prophet just get out of bed and let his wife sleep? Poor Wendy has to go elsewhere and then wait for him to emerge, waving his yellow notebook.
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Post by _SuperDell »

Future news article headline.

Mormon PROPHET MISTAKES NOCTURNAL EMISSION FOR REVELATION

Then the idiot will probably refer to Boyd KKK's talk and refer to himself as "a factory worker" inspired by TheLard.
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Fence Sitter wrote:I wonder if Nelson has tried using the seer stones in the church vault yet, or maybe God is having Nelson practice using a lighted pen first. And, does Wendy read the words back to his to make sure he got them correct?

I bet the words Nelson gets are archaic in nature, perhaps Early Modern English or Middle English. Some say it's hillbilly, backwoods English but it is clearly Old World English for sure. I heard somewhere this is how God speaks to his chosen vessels. He loves to impress them by sounding mysterious and 1611 edition biblical-ish.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen