An Unusual Turn of Events

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

An Unusual Turn of Events

Post by _consiglieri »

A few weeks ago, my home teacher texted me a podcast called This is The Gospel.

http://www.ldsliving.com/pages/this-is- ... e-of-heart

The reason my HT sent it to me is because he heard the speaker (identified as "Dusty Smith") say he had attended the student ward at the University of Texas back in the 1980s when I was there.

I listened to the podcast, wondering who on earth it might be and whether I would even know him.

As I listened and more details came out, I came to several cascading realizations:

1. Not only do I know this guy, he was my best friend back in the late 1980s.

2. His name is not Dusty Smith. For some reason, he wants to not use his real name, even on a book he has recently published, and when he makes appearances on podcasts.

3. I mentioned "Dusty Smith" in episode 3 of RFM, where I told how a friend of mine spun out of the church over the 1832 account of the First Vision when he was at law school in another state.

4. I lost track of "Dusty," and only realized who it was when I listened to the podcast linked above.

5. He tells a story about becoming a virulent anti-Mormon and the miraculous path that led him back to the church.

6. Not only all that, "Dusty" is the guy whose story Elder Uchtdorf told in General Conference.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... k?lang=eng

One Member’s Journey

I was touched by the journey of one brother who asked himself, “When the Lord calls, will I hear?” I will call this fine brother David.

David converted to the Church some 30 years ago. He served a mission and then attended law school. While he was studying and working to support a young family, he came across some information about the Church that confused him. The more he read these negative materials, the more unsettled he became. Eventually he asked to have his name removed from the records of the Church.

From that time on, like Alma in his rebellious days, David spent a great deal of time debating with members of the Church, engaging in online conversations with the purpose of challenging their beliefs.

He was very good at this.

One of the members he debated with I will call Jacob. Jacob was always kind and respectful to David, but he was also firm in his defense of the Church.

Over the years, David and Jacob developed a mutual respect and friendship. What David did not know is that Jacob was praying for David and did so faithfully for more than a decade. He even placed his friend’s name for prayer in the temples of the Lord and hoped that David’s heart would be softened.

Over time, slowly, David did change. He began to remember with fondness the spiritual experiences he once had, and he remembered the happiness he had felt when he was a member of the Church.

Like Alma, David had not completely forgotten the gospel truths he had once embraced. And like Amulek, David felt the Lord reaching out to him. David was now a partner in a law firm—a prestigious job. He had developed a reputation as a critic of the Church, and he had too much pride to ask to be readmitted.

Nevertheless, he continued to feel the pull of the Shepherd.

He took to heart the scripture “If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.”13 He prayed, “Dear God, I want to be a Latter-day Saint again, but I have questions that need answers.”

He began to listen to the whisperings of the Spirit and to inspired answers of friends as he never had before. One after another, his doubts turned to faith, until finally he realized that, once again, he could feel a testimony of Jesus Christ and His restored Church.

At that point, he knew that he would be able to overcome his pride and do whatever it took to be accepted back into the Church.

Eventually, David entered the waters of baptism and then began counting down the days until he could have his blessings restored.

I am happy to report that this past summer, David’s blessings were restored to him. He is again fully participating in the Church and serving as a Gospel Doctrine teacher in his ward. He takes every opportunity to speak to others about his transformation, to heal the damage he caused, and to bear testimony of the gospel and the Church of Jesus Christ.

7. Of course you know what this means, don't you? My dearest Mormon friend from college is none other than Utah Cowboy on this board, and Country Boy on the MDDB board.

8. Mind blown.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Re: An Unusual Turn of Events

Post by _RockSlider »

Boom, there goes my mind as well!
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

I smell a rat.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

One step closer to consigs excommunication.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Utah Texan is your friend?
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Yup! Crazy, ain't it?
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Fence Sitter wrote:I smell a rat.

What rat do you smell?
_Madison54
_Emeritus

Post by _Madison54 »

Exiled wrote:Utah Texan is your friend?

Didn’t he post under another name too? (Here and on MD&D)

I thought he was a jerk. But how is he in real life consig?
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

consiglieri wrote:
Fence Sitter wrote:I smell a rat.

What rat do you smell?

The self promoting kind who might write a book about their 'miraculous' reconversion.

The behavior of the poster in question was completely opposite from what one would expect in someone claiming to come back to belief.

So I am not buying what he is selling.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Is he still involved in politics? It seemed his reconversion had something to do with politics.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen