Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dr LOD
_Emeritus

Re: Rules of Patheos: Midgley appears to violate TOS 10x

Post by _Dr LOD »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:02 pm
This is an interesting bit:

“Davis Bitton wrote, and we published it in the old FARMS Review, a scathing review of an essay by Davis Bitton on Mormon Intellectuals. This was his way of, in public and for all to see, that he had turned his back on what he once was. His mighty change of heart came when his marriage fell apart. He was devastated. He told me that at that moment he had to ask himself what did he really believe and exactly what ought to guide him henceforth.

He remarried, and at his funeral there was no mention at all of his having helped to found the Mormon History Association and Dialogue, but a lot of talk about how he loved the FARMS Review and Fair Mormon. He also truly loved his time as Assistant Church Historian, even though he was the odd one out at that time.

I spent many hours gabbing with Davis, sometimes in person, and sometimes for hours on the phone. We both wrote an essay together. His wife insisted that his name could not go on that essay. So we fashioned a fake name for it, which I believe has been sort of fixed. I am pleased to have been its co-author with Davis Bitton.”

What I find curious about this confession is two-fold.

1) How easily Louis succumbs to duplicity.

2) How easily he has no regard for family members and their wishes. Bitton’s wife didn’t want her husband’s name on that essay, and instead of respecting her and their marriage, Louis undermines her by getting Bitton to use a nom de plume.

Unbelievable.

- Doc
Midgley has continually exhibited some rather bizarre personal boundaries on SEN, and in his academic/apologetic work in general. And his use of personal information on others is one of the more bothersome behaviors. Maybe it can be classified as changes due to age. But there is still a background pathology somewhere in there.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

That background pathology is the Mormon psychology that they are destined to be gods. With that approach, they can do no wrong, so anything they do and say to and for the world is gods will. Ironically, instead of that giving them insights, it blinds them completely to reality.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Dr LOD wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:09 am

I'm sure he loves the Maori, as long as they support his beliefs, and they continue to be a faith promoting mascot. With the Maori he has been able to match some parallels between Maori folklore with that of LDS folklore....
You’d think he would have learned something from his recent experience away from his Coach’s protection, Dr LOD, but somehow I don’t think so. Look at this recent exposition:
Louis Midgley Jack 3 hours ago

In 1950 I went to New Zealand determined to stress the Book of Mormon with the Maori. I managed to introduce or at least call their attention to Hugh Nibley, for which I was remembered even in 1999. But I soon discovered that the Book of Mormon was their book or a book about people like them who were caught in the web of, for example, old tribal insults and offenses for which at any time they might come to war with each other, and so forth

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... 4889976666
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Read this and tell me that this man isn’t out of his mind:

“That is that blog that my friend Nathan's wife runs, is it not? My own most important and very clever and inexpensive, as well as rewarding, bit of stalking and harassing was that two-week tour that began in Sydney, Australia, after a very restful 14 hour flight from LAX to the Graham Kingsford Smith International Airport in Sydney, and the two full days before we reached New Zealand, and then eventually when we reached a place an hour and a half drive to Christchurch, since the port from which it takes only at most a half hour to reach that city (which is not on the coast) had been seriously damaged in the recent earthquake, in the hope that we could arrive in time for Sacrament meeting.

This clever way of stalking and harassing Gina Colvin assumed that she had once been a member of the Ward the travel agency had picked among those in the Christchurch Stake, and that she would have somehow chosen to turn up that very Ward on that Sunday morning.

Unfortunately my devious and diabolical plan for bashing and abusing poor Gina Colvin was foiled by the fact that the Ward whose sacrament meeting the travel agency had picked for 17 of us to attend had had their 10:00am Sacrament Meeting canceled and that, instead, two Wards had met at 9:00am and the Stake President had turned the two Wards into three.

We arrived just as that meeting was ending. And, unfortunately, instead of being able to confront Gina Colvin, I was met instead by a very delightful Maori lady with a PhD, who stunned me with a gift of a beautiful greenstone pendant for defending the nineteenth-century Maori Latter-day Saint historical narrative.

But all was not lost, since Gina Colvin's husband, whose PhD is in Political Science, was there and we became good friends.
Rats, no opportunity for stalking and harassing. This is the sad story of my life.”

Obsessed. Weird. Lying, yet again, about being “good friends” with people, in this case, the husband of the person he can’t stop talking about.

It’s weird as “F”, man.

- Doc
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:23 am
Read this and tell me that this man isn’t out of his mind:

“That is that blog that my friend Nathan's wife runs, is it not? My own most important and very clever and inexpensive, as well as rewarding, bit of stalking and harassing was that two-week tour that began in Sydney, Australia, after a very restful 14 hour flight from LAX to the Graham Kingsford Smith International Airport in Sydney, and the two full days before we reached New Zealand, and then eventually when we reached a place an hour and a half drive to Christchurch, since the port from which it takes only at most a half hour to reach that city (which is not on the coast) had been seriously damaged in the recent earthquake, in the hope that we could arrive in time for Sacrament meeting.

This clever way of stalking and harassing Gina Colvin assumed that she had once been a member of the Ward the travel agency had picked among those in the Christchurch Stake, and that she would have somehow chosen to turn up that very Ward on that Sunday morning.

Unfortunately my devious and diabolical plan for bashing and abusing poor Gina Colvin was foiled by the fact that the Ward whose sacrament meeting the travel agency had picked for 17 of us to attend had had their 10:00am Sacrament Meeting canceled and that, instead, two Wards had met at 9:00am and the Stake President had turned the two Wards into three.

We arrived just as that meeting was ending. And, unfortunately, instead of being able to confront Gina Colvin, I was met instead by a very delightful Maori lady with a PhD, who stunned me with a gift of a beautiful greenstone pendant for defending the nineteenth-century Maori Latter-day Saint historical narrative.

But all was not lost, since Gina Colvin's husband, whose PhD is in Political Science, was there and we became good friends.
Rats, no opportunity for stalking and harassing. This is the sad story of my life.”

Obsessed. Weird. Lying, yet again, about being “good friends” with people, in this case, the husband of the person he can’t stop talking about.

It’s weird as “F”, man.

- Doc
Weird as “F”, indeed. You’ll notice the coward Midgley puffed up his feathers and got all righteous—— but only on Peterson’s blog, where he is protected by Peterson.

Meanwhile, his latest post off Peterson’s blog was this timid little whisper:
Louis Midgley EV 2 hours ago

Please pay careful attention to those up-voting EV

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/kiwimormo ... 4890164653
Too funny. What a little pipsqueak.

One interesting point about this episode is that it really puts Midgley’s stories about his “very good friends” all over the world into a different perspective. It’s a proven fact that Gina Colvin’s husband is NOT midgley’s “good friend.” How many of Midgley’s other stories about people are just as fake as this one?
_Dr LOD
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr LOD »

The “Lousy Midge” does get pretty salty an off his kilter lately.

Here he addresses drunk Indians and Maori.
The Midgleys have have loved seeing portions where the different "tribes" of the Navaho Nation live. There are many other places there that in a certain way are beautiful. But this beauty is marred by Gallup and other signs of very unfortunate human self-degradation.

With this in mind, I am reminded of a skit by a very famous Maori comic, singer and dancer Billy T. James, who once produced this skit in which he is taking his audience around a museum display of the weapons the British had at to use the conquer the Maori. And he explains that they could easily handle all of these. And then he said that the Brits had a powerful secret weapon that defeated the Maori, and he took his audience to a large displace case with one item in it--a beer bottle.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Was Midgley ever a mission president?

The reason I ask is because mission presidents are given the Second Anointing, which of course gives them a free pass to commit whatever sins they want, save two (murdering the innocent and denying the Holy Ghost). Therefore, maybe this explains his utter refusal to observe even baseline social norms--assuming he was ever indeed a mission president, of course.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:02 pm
2) How easily he has no regard for family members and their wishes. Bitton’s wife didn’t want her husband’s name on that essay, and instead of respecting her and their marriage, Louis undermines her by getting Bitton to use a nom de plume.
And then he publicly exposes Bitton in this anecdote.
_Dr LOD
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr LOD »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:04 am
Was Midgley ever a mission president?

The reason I ask is because mission presidents are given the Second Anointing, which of course gives them a free pass to commit whatever sins they want, save two (murdering the innocent and denying the Holy Ghost). Therefore, maybe this explains his utter refusal to observe even baseline social norms--assuming he was ever indeed a mission president, of course.
I don’t think he was a mission president. He served with his wife as a senior missionary couple in NZ. I seriously doubt he has the type of leadership skills or temperament to be a mission president, or any other type of church leadership position for that matter.

I would also doubt a Mopologist has had the second anointing. Although some are privately given blessings by General Authorities at times that mopologists may mistake for one. A Mopologetic Anointing so to say.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

It should be noted the Midge has taken some very serious potshots at Grant Palmer’s reputation... again... this time on Ms. Colvin’s blog. Apparently speaking ill of the dead is standard fair for these assholes.

- Doc