Congratulations to our dear Everybody Wang Chung!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: Congratulations to our dear Everybody Wang Chung!

Post by _I have a question »

One has to hope that your duties will include the temple recommend interviews of Midgely and Peterson...
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

Nicely done, Everybody Wang Chung!
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:Thanks MsJack. I knew it was just a matter of time until someone who knows my in real life found out about this. I'm a little relieved now that the cat is out of the bag.

The last few months have been crazy and it was probably the most difficult decision of my life. I recognize that my views of the Book of Mormon, LGTBQ and Church history are very unorthodox and at odds with much of the Church leadership, but maybe that's what the Church needs right now.

It will be an interesting ride. As my brother recently told me, it will be a sure sign of the Apocalypse if my next calling is General Authority. I would have to agree.

I find this thread quite interesting. While I've been aware of your participation on this board now for many years, I was unaware that you were still engaged with the church. It gives me cognitive dissonance just thinking about it. I just can't imagine a way that one can nuance beliefs to the point that it makes Mormonism work and yet you are proof that one exists. I tried for years to make Mormonism believable but failed. Ultimately I gave up trying. Congratulations on being able to make it work for you and your family.
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_Mormon Think
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormon Think »

Congrats Everybody Wang Chung

Hopefully you can make the Church a better place. Some of us tried that but were ousted for our efforts. Best of luck to you and here's hoping that you will serve as long as you wish to.

Bill
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:Thanks MsJack. I knew it was just a matter of time until someone who knows my in real life found out about this. I'm a little relieved now that the cat is out of the bag.

The last few months have been crazy and it was probably the most difficult decision of my life. I recognize that my views of the Book of Mormon, LGTBQ and Church history are very unorthodox and at odds with much of the Church leadership, but maybe that's what the Church needs right now.

It will be an interesting ride. As my brother recently told me, it will be a sure sign of the Apocalypse if my next calling is General Authority. I would have to agree.
You were a friend to me many moons ago. I hope that somehow your "unorthodoxy" will change good lives to better. Best to you.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:It will be an interesting ride. As my brother recently told me, it will be a sure sign of the Apocalypse if my next calling is General Authority. I would have to agree.

Wow!

Indeed, you are in for an interesting ride. There is a huge difference in being a bishop and a Stake President. You're in the big time now. Anything can happen.

Wishing you all the best in leading your flock. You must be extremely brilliant and gifted to be able to pull this off. Bide your term as Stake President and have fun doing it. Let your counsellors do all the grunt work and spend your time ministering. There is a real possibility you may be called to the Seventy.

Wow.
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

Everybody Wang Chung be careful- knowing that DCP tried to id you, didn't he, when he thought you might be on a tour he was leading, will, i think really, put his sources into play to id you. you can do a lot from the inside but please be careful!

just recommendin
k
_schreech
_Emeritus

Post by _schreech »

Finally someone who is at least somewhat inspired in a Mormon leadership position. Congrats, you are perfect for the calling and your members will appreciate the love and compassion you will show them. Zeus be with you.
"your reasoning that children should be experimented upon to justify a political agenda..is tantamount to the Nazi justification for experimenting on human beings."-SUBgenius on gay parents
"I've stated over and over again on this forum and fully accept that I'm a bigot..." - ldsfaqs
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

There is a real possibility you may be called to the Seventy.

Indeed. You will have to return and report when you get your Second Anointing. Things could get really interesting!
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

It makes me want to confess my sins .... to Pres. Wang Chung .... I'm a poor humble child of the late 60's/early 70's. I fell into satan's brew early in my life and then graduated to other substances a little later ... I followed the Dead for a while ... loving Hendrix, and all music .... then went to serve the master ... I partook of the joys of the female persuasion, finding myself, then "repenting" and thinking that Mormon jesus was the way .... it was a hope and a prayer, but empty. Now, I'm moving forward.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen