The "Witnesses" Film and Church Control of Mopologetics.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

The "Witnesses" Film and Church Control of Mopologetics.

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

I don't know if you caught the news, but Dr. Peterson was recently trumpeting the news that his "Witnesses" film project has now raised $1 million. Well, almost. He writes:

DCP wrote:I’m pleased to say that we’ve now raised $950,000 of that amount, and that we have a firm pledge that would complete that funding. But that pledge will only materialize when we first reach one million dollars.

However, that leaves us, at this point, $50,000 short of where we want to be.

So — and you surely knew this was coming! — if you feel the urge to contribute to closing that gap, your donation (in any amount, small or large) would be appreciated. Seriously. (Please indicate that you want your donation to go to the Witnesses film, if that is your intention.) Alternatively, if you can recommend anybody who might be able to help, please contact me.

I admit that I've been very skeptical about this project--about the fundraising, about the ways the money was spent, and what this all is really about. That said, even I have to admit that this is impressive: $1 million? And wow, how quickly did this all come together? You have to credit Dr. Peterson for his finesse, and his ability to drum up cash.

I also have to admit that, given all the warfare going down between the Heartlanders and the Interpreter-based Mopologists (e.g., Midgley, Smoot, Greg "Peter Pan" (ehhh?) Smith, etc.), I've been wondering about the Brethren's take on the whole situation, and I was reminded of an old thread. Longtime readers will likely remember the so-called "FARMS Ziggurat." Once upon a time, of course, FARMS was an independent entity--rather like what "Mormon Interpreter" is right now. But in the late 1990s, FARMS began to gather more and more momentum, eventually arriving at a decisive moment:

Groundbreaking for a new 25,000-square-foot building for The Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies is tentatively scheduled for next April, according to Brent Hall, FARMS director of development and operations. Construction of the building will take approximately 18 months to complete, he said.

The design of the new building suggests elements of the world of the Bible - a dome, arches and pyramid - and the world of the Book of Mormon - stone work reminiscent of Meso-American pyramids and other structures.

This announcement, as I originally wrote, appeared in a 1995 issue of Church News. And in November of that year, an additional announcement was made:

In the last newsletter we announced the campaign to raise the funds to build the Book of Mormon Research Center.... Your help is needed. Many of you have already responded with generous contributions for which we are grateful, but more is needed. Local building costs are escalating rapidly. Presently the architects estimate the project will cost some seven million dollars.... We invite those of you who have abundant means to be very generous.... Please don't delay
(emphasis mine)

Seven million dollars isn't exactly chump change, and there are those (myself included) who have speculated that it was this fundraising effort that ultimately caught the attention of the Powers-that-Be. Here's Note Reynolds, elaborating on what happened:

Our need to be better known led us to promote publicity that raised concerns in the church and the university and led to the new BYU president's interest in merging FARMS with the university. This late 1996 proposal from President Bateman moved the two-year conversation with the previous administration to a higher level. On September 10, 1997, President Hinckley proposed in the monthly meeting of the BYU board of trustees that FARMS be invited into the university with partial funding for it and for CPART being provided.
(again: emphasis mine)

You can probably see where I'm going with this. The "merger" between the old, independent FARMS with BYU led to a number of changes. For one thing, I think it created tension between the Brethren and the Mopologists--the "messaging" from downtown SLC was confusing vis-a-vis the Mopologists' attack-minded tendencies, so I think you can see some unevenness--as it were--in their post-merger publications. What I mean is: you get the sense that the Brethren were periodically telling them to "tone it down," though I don't think they always listened to this counsel (and, again, I think they were getting mixed messages from the Brethren: some of the apostles were okay with the smears; others were not). On pg. 4 of the "Ziggurat" thread, Nightlion sensed something similar, and wrote:

Nighlion wrote:I see that it is possible that DCP, certainly having closer ties to how things work in the inner circle than I do, could have experience enough to think it a distinct possibility that FARMS could lose editorial control, at least, on being subsumed by BYU

And Peterson responded:

DCP wrote:I had no particular reason to fear erosion of editorial independence. It was enough to know that we had been wholly independent but would now be part of a larger organization. Being part of a larger organization would inevitably mean the surrender of at least some autonomy. I was not yet certain how that would look in fact, as opposed to how it looked in theory.

There's nothing sinister here.

Things look different in hindsight, though, don't they? We now how the story ended: in 2012, old-school FARMS effectively came to an end due to the firing of DCP as editor of the Review--this following a protracted war with John Dehlin. And as you recall, editorial control of the Review was crucial, inciting incident. Peterson attacked Gerald Bradford for blocking such things as Will Schryver's work, and then, as you'll recall, we learned that Greg Smith's "hit piece" on Dehlin was later pulled on the orders of Elder Holland.

That brings us to the present moment, where Dr. Peterson, once again in the role of impresario lording over an independent Mopologetic organization called "interpreter," has just announced that he has more or less singlehandedly managed to drum up just shy of one million dollars. Not only that, but there are plans--as I understand it--to have this film woven into the religious education curriculum at BYU, and possibly have it screened in seminary, on the local PBS stations, and so forth. Bear in mind that this is one of the central narratives in LDS history. Are the Brethren truly okay with an independent organization--one that is currently trying to alienate and force the excommunication of dozens if not hundreds of other Latter-day Saints over a squabble about the "location" of the BoM--telling this part of the narrative, and allowing for this to be an "Interpreter" production?

It will be interesting to see what happens, but I wonder if we are eventually going to see a "power move" whereby the rights to the film are effectively "seized" by the Church. I remain on the fence about whether or not the Brethren will go after "interpreter" itself; then again, what about having a faith-based "think tank" housed in the religious education department of BYU? Maybe BYU-I needs something like this in their portfolio? DCP could get a second office in Rexburg--it's that much closer to the Canadian Rockies!

Towards the end of his announcement about the fundraising for the "Witnesses" film, Dr. Peterson adds this disclaimer:

DCP wrote:And, again, to respond to potential concerns: None of this money, not a penny of it, will come to me or to any member of my family. I will earn no consulting fee, no percentage of the money raised, no portion of possible royalties. Nothing. (A small clique of anonymous online critics likes to accuse me, baselessly but with gleeful abandon, of profiteering from apologetics. See Revelation 22:15.)

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. There are some people who don't care about money as much as they care about control. And in the context of Mormonism and Mopologetics, what is more fundamentally "control" and power-hungry than producing the defining film on the story of the Witnesses? The Ziggurat, as Dean Robbers correctly pointed out on a separate thread, was a middle-finger to the Brethren: a declaration that there was a new gang in town, and they *they* would be working to redefine the meaning of Mormon doctrine, theology, and practice. Back in the 1990s, the Brethren read this for exactly what it was, and took action.

As ever, I'm very much looking forward to seeing the final "Witnesses" film.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Markk
_Emeritus

Re: The "Witnesses" Film and Church Control of Mopologetics.

Post by _Markk »

After watching the trailer, they are going to spend over a million dollars making a film about the mess of whether or not the witnesses, who almost all left the church, were called mean and nasty by Joesph, actually saw the plates or not. This will be a one sided production that will only reinforce saints that need to “know” all is well in Zion. This is the kind of crap that gets my blood stirring. It’s one thing to know the facts and then make a choice, it is another to be feed this crap.

There are so many contradictions on what these guys saw and how they saw it...in the end saints that search on their own will cry BS, and some will leave. It will simply be a propaganda piece as the trailer shows. It would seem they would learn a lesson by now and leave well enough alone.

Last year I had a long private e-mail back and forth with Brain Hales, and while I wanted to discuss polygamy, all he wanted to discuss was his new project. That was basically “how could a farm boy write the Book of Mormon.” It appears that Mopology is attempting to go back the the basics, and circle the wagons around the Book of Mormon...it is all they have left.

This will back fire and be a total waste of time and money...and will only feed the Utah saints that need reinsurance.
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Moksha (on a related thread) wrote:Are you sure? Is it really that hard to imagine a Church wanting a squadron who could crawl through the mud and engage the enemy in religious guerrilla warfare? If you were a King, wouldn't you sleep sounder knowing there were torturers in the dungeon tormenting those suspected of plotting against you?

And when the General becomes able to finance his army without the King's money, then how easy does the King sleep?
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Gadianton wrote:And when the General becomes able to finance his army without the King's money, then how easy does the King sleep?

Not sure why the King would feel threatened by a bunch of alchemists bearing their testimony as to the truthfulness of the Transmutation of Metals original witnesses. These alchemists are fully capable of using their spiritual eyes in a faith-promoting manner.

If there is a profit from the film, the King will receive his usual 10% cut from all the mages in the Alchemist's Court.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

It boggles the mind that DCP's crappy movie will cost $1.2 million. Filmmaking is expensive.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

moksha wrote:
Gadianton wrote:And when the General becomes able to finance his army without the King's money, then how easy does the King sleep?

Not sure why the King would feel threatened by a bunch of alchemists bearing their testimony as to the truthfulness of the Transmutation of Metals original witnesses. These alchemists are fully capable of using their spiritual eyes in a faith-promoting manner.

If there is a profit from the film, the King will receive his usual 10% cut from all the mages in the Alchemist's Court.

In the past, King Gordon B. Hinckley, let a special detachment of his army run hog wild in operation FARM’s...it back fired and many of the Kings people were in a state of confusion. Even the King himself was often confused, even on national TV.

After King Gordon died, the new King, King Monson, had a huge mess to clean up and behind a special task force purged Hinkely’s dream.

Those purged went into exile in the land of MoBlog, and created a new way to push forward their agenda under the name of Operation Interpreter (OI). The leader of the OI is a chap that goes by the name of Dan the Larger , with several other purged members at his side, including his Jester Lucky Lou Midgley, and several other faithful yes men, such as his oof Kiwi.

There are other factions in the land of MoBlog that are waging war for relevance with each other. One faction in particular, known aa the LGT’ers, is partly lead by a young disciple of Dan the Larger is Smoot the Younger, who is waging war against a traditional grassroots faction called the Heartlanders.

The new true and living King, Nelson, will not know how to deal with this current rise of MoBloggers They know that excommunicating them creates more problems than it solves, as shown with the most successful ever MoBlogger, John Dehlin. He was struck down, but like a Jedi knight, came back stronger.

I predict the Movie will come out, serve the faithful, and create more fodder for the critics...and the true and living King will do what they do best...remain silent and only react if it somehow threatens their God...”the church,” or their creator...“Joseph Smith.”
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Dr. Scratch,

Excellent post, as always.

This whole million dollar "film project" certainly doesn't pass the smell test. I really think something fishy is going on. And when I say "fishy" I mean someone is probably lining their pockets.

I hope I'm wrong, but I highly doubt this "project" will ever be finished. There are just too many red flags. It's unfortunate, but I really think the donors are being fleeced big time.

Here are some critically acclaimed movies by world class directors that were much less than 1 million dollars:

John Carpenter's Assault on Precint 13 (1976), made for $100,000
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_o ... (1976_film)

Jon Favreau’s Swingers (1996), made for $200,000
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swingers_(1996_film)

Ken Burn's The Brothers McMullen (1995), made for $28,000
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Brothers_McMullen

Robert Rodriguez's El Mariachi (1992), made for $7,000
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Mariachi

Kevin Smith's Clerks (1994), made for $27,000
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clerks

Richard Linklater's Slacker (1990), $23,000
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slacker_(film)

George Miller’s Mad Max (1979), $200,000
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Max

Jerrod Hess' Napolean Dynamite (2004), made for $400,000
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_Dynamite
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Here are some critically acclaimed movies by world class directors that were much less than 1 million dollars:

President Chung, yes, a million seems a lot for this kind of movie but there are three areas where I could see those costs coming out as legit.

The first would be getting real Hollywoods stars. Imagine, for instance, Dolph Lundgren as Moroni. If they pulled that off, even *I* would probably like the film. The Institute customers would be ecstatic. I do wonder how the Book of Mormon Central folks would take that. The Brethren would at that point, be terrified.

The second would be intense action sequences. It costs about 100 - 200k for a Matrix level "bullet time" scene. Imagine a 360 with the gold plates flying through the air as Joseph Smith momentarily lets them loose from his grasp as he stumbles over a rocky cliff only to catch the stack of pure gold again at the bottom. When Moroni reveals the plates, a slo-mo 360 that gets every angle of the plates from the witness circle around Moroni would do wonders to instill the idea that the witnesses were getting this all into their heads.

A third would be hiring a full symphony and pro film scoring. Recall how much certain associated with the project love the symphony.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Dean,

You are absolutely correct. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I didn't even consider the possibility of Peter$on hiring big name actors and using state of the art CGI.

Maybe there will be a massive CGI flashback of the last great battle between the Nephites and Lamanites using millions of computer generated warriors and special effects just like in the movie Avatar.

Also, I could see Peter$on hiring John Williams (of Star Wars, and Raiders of the Lost Ark fame) to compose the soundtrack.

You're right, if Peter$on does all of this I could see the million dollars being a reasonable budget.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

According to one website, Meet The Mormons had a 2 million dollar budget. 1 million seems a lower end estimate.

I have worked on movie lots and when you see what goes into movies and TV shows you can see how expensive it is. No equipment the use is worn at all...everything looks brand new.

I was doing a restoration on a lot a few years back (Culver Studios), and they were filming The Last Ship, and Arrested Development and it is crazy to see just the logistics alone that is involved. I wasn’t allowed inside the sets, but when they are filming the set up area outside the sets are like small busy city street.

I guess you get what you pay for though, and if the movie is the same quality as the trailer my guess is a million is not enough.