Does Mr Nelson really mean what he says?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Does Mr Nelson really mean what he says?

Post by _I have a question »

Recently Mr Nelson attended and spoke at a NAACP conference. Amongst other things he said...
“We are all connected, and we have a God-given responsibility to help make life better for those around us,” President Russell M. Nelson said during a nine-minute evening speech. “We don’t have to be alike or look alike to have love for each other. We don’t even have to agree with each other to love each other. If we have any hope of reclaiming the goodwill and sense of humanity for which we yearn, it must begin with each of us, one person at a time.”

“I pray that we may increasingly call each other dear friends,” President Nelson concluded Sunday. “May we go forward doing our best to exemplify the two great commandments — to love God and love each of His children. Arm in arm and shoulder to shoulder, may we strive to lift our brothers and sisters everywhere, in every way we can. This world will never be the same.”

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... ent-nelson

I'd like to see Mr Nelson attend a LGBT national conference and offer those same comments now, not 40 years late.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Re: Does Mr Nelson really mean what he says?

Post by _Maksutov »

Let him address the ACLU or even the Democrats now. He's trying to shed the ancient heritage of racism. Until they divest of the Book of Mormon, Mormonism will continue to be racist. :confused:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Maksutov wrote:Let him address the ACLU or even the Democrats now. He's trying to shed the ancient heritage of racism. Until they divest of the Book of Mormon, Mormonism will continue to be racist. :confused:

And don't forget an APOLOGY is in order for the many racist and horrible things said by church leaders in the past. An APOLOGY is required for allowing the priesthood ban to continue as long as it did.

No apology means no forgiveness!

The Mormons are guilty as charged.

:twisted:
_GameOver
_Emeritus

Post by _GameOver »

Wendy wrote his speech.