Dunnisms from Midgley

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: Dunnisms from Midgley

Post by _I have a question »

I'm struggling to locate a post...any post...from either Coach or the Old Kit Man where they voiced their disagreement with the "I'm A Mormon" and "Meet The Mormon" campaigns.
“More Mormons to meet? LDS Church to release second ‘Meet the Mormons’ film”

This should be interesting:
http://m.deseretnews.com/article/865657 ... e.co.uk%2F

I liked the first one.
http://m.deseretnews.com/article/865657 ... e.co.uk%2F

And a fireside Coach ran...
For those who might care and who might be in the vicinity, I’ll be speaking tomorrow night — Sunday night, 24 September 2017 — to a singles fireside. My topic will be “Mormons and Muslims.” The fireside will begin at 7:00 PM, at 828 West 1600 North, Orem, UT.
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... he+Mormons

Their longstanding loathing of the pejoratives "Mormon" and "Mormonism" seems to be a recent affectation...
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

For them to claim that the loathing of the terms Mormon and Mormonism has been longstanding is simply the lates example of current-revelation-requires-gaslighting about the past. It's just that Russell's mileage on the topic varies from that of Monson, before him Hinckley, before him.... At least in 1978, the only gaslighting about lifting the ban on the priesthood is the claim that they now don't know the source of the ban (though it was touted before 1978 as a direct commandment from the Lord). They haven't tried to claim that blacks have all along, since April 6, 1830, been allowed the Mormon priesthood.
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

Oh boy, Midgley and Peterson, maybe I'll dust off my old Disqus account and head back over there. meh...I don't' know, I probably won't. They get a little too fussy about the wrong things. But with that said, Midgley isn't alone in his memory failures. I think I've seen nearly every Mormon defender out there claiming they decided years before Nelson's reign that Mormon was such a bad descriptor and they have opposed its use for as long as they can remember. Of course, as far as I can tell and can remember they've been avid defenders of all the Church's Mormon-themed promotional events, and they all type "Mormon" whenever they search for some place to go get upset at apostates. None of them ever seemed to balk if ever I used my favored term Mormon.

I think they convince themselves of nearly anything as long as it somehow relates to defender their religion. I don't mind the gaslighting attempts. I think they really believe it.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Stem wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:33 pm
Oh boy, Midgley and Peterson, maybe I'll dust off my old Disqus account and head back over there. meh...I don't' know, I probably won't. They get a little too fussy about the wrong things. But with that said, Midgley isn't alone in his memory failures. I think I've seen nearly every Mormon defender out there claiming they decided years before Nelson's reign that Mormon was such a bad descriptor and they have opposed its use for as long as they can remember. Of course, as far as I can tell and can remember they've been avid defenders of all the Church's Mormon-themed promotional events, and they all type "Mormon" whenever they search for some place to go get upset at apostates. None of them ever seemed to balk if ever I used my favored term Mormon.

I think they convince themselves of nearly anything as long as it somehow relates to defender their religion. I don't mind the gaslighting attempts. I think they really believe it.
I've made a few comments on that thread today. I don't think it's worth the trouble, though. They will say anything in support of whomever is the fearless leader, regardless if it contradicts what former fearless leader said last week prior to his untimely death.
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:44 pm

I've made a few comments on that thread today. I don't think it's worth the trouble, though. They will say anything in support of whomever is the fearless leader, regardless if it contradicts what former fearless leader said last week prior to his untimely death.
I know...it's just running around in circles with them. Very good of you to tough it out for the rest of us.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I have a question wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:48 pm
“More Mormons to meet? LDS Church to release second ‘Meet the Mormons’ film”
https://archive.sltrib.com/article.php? ... fullpage=1

The new title will be Meet the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Camouflaged Mormons).
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Dr Exiled wrote:
"Untimely?"
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr. Shades, “Untimely?”

Perhaps TSM was removed from his office for approving the “I’m a Mormon!” campaign.

- Doc
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:54 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:
"Untimely?"
Aren't all fearless leaders' deaths in Mormonism untimely? Don't the faithful cheerleaders want to cheer on the current leader forever? And sad is the day when current fearless leader passes into the holy realms above and cannot imbue a thirsty membership with spiritual water any longer, Amen.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:14 am
Aren't all fearless leaders' deaths in Mormonism untimely?
Not since Joseph Smith, Jr.
And sad is the day when current fearless leader passes into the holy realms above and cannot imbue a thirsty membership with spiritual water any longer, Amen.
Not to worry; there's always another to continue imbuing a thirsty membership with spiritual water in very short order.