Dunnisms from Midgley

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Dunnisms from Midgley

Post by _Lemmie »

Louis Midgley
9 hours ago edited
I have told this story before; I will now tell it again. Many years ago, I published an essay in the Old Improvement Era entitle "The Christian World Awakens to the Need for Prophets." Immediately after it appeared in print, I received a phone call from Jay Todd, who was the editor of that magazine. He told me that President David O. McKay had phoned to indicate that he had read my essay and really liked it.

However he had one criticism, and wanted me to know what it was. Hence the phone call. Elder McKay disliked my use of the words Mormon, instead of Latter-day Saint, and Mormonism, rather than Church of Jesus Christ or Community of Latter-day Saints. I now don't recall if I used Mormon Church, rather than Church of Jesus Christ.

For just a moment I was annoyed. But very soon I was certain that Elder McKay was right. And from that moment on, I have tried hard avoid Mormon Church, and Mormonism....

https://disqus.com/home/discussion/danp ... 4588615424

A few problems, with the bolded parts. The second one first: In Midgley’s article, the second sentence uses the phrase “Church of Jesus Christ” to refer to Joseph smith’s Religion. In the first paragraph, he uses the phrase “Latter-day Saint” and “gospel of Jesus Christ” similarly. What was the issue?

But there is a bigger problem, re the first bolded part: Midgley’s article was published in August 1970.

President David O. McKay passed away in January of 1970; Jay Todd published a beautiful story about him in the February 1970 Improvement Era.

Midgley is becoming the new Dunn.
_Stem
_Emeritus

Re: Dunnisms from Midgley

Post by _Stem »

lol. Love that you caught that.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Lemmie wrote:But there is a bigger problem, re the first bolded part: Midgley’s article was published in August 1970.

President David O. McKay passed away in January of 1970...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Has anyone seen Squidgley's marbles?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Isn’t it wonderful and marvelous that the veil was so thin that President McKay could communicate with Jay Todd from the Spirit World?

My testimony is strengthened by Brother Midgley’s sacred experience of receiving divine guidance from beyond the veil.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

The world has awakened much more since 1970 to the Eastern Wisdom of Alan Watts than to the prophets of Mormonism. That puts a certain kink into Midgley's world view whether he knows it or not. His article did not very much of anything for anyone so far as I can tell. I mean all the prophets have done is focused on shopping and a name change. And before that the prophets themselves were deceived into using "Mormon" as a name of the church and right damn proud of it. So much for needing them, as they were the blind leading the blind. The only logical inference from the current prophet Nelson and his putative revelations from Jesus. Considering the state of the world I'd say Jesus is still on vacation.

GREAT CATCH LEMMIE!!!!!! However, it probably took the magazine a year to get it published, so McKay saw it before it was published and before he died.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

He did say the exchanges happened "immediately after it appeared in print".

Typically "in print" refers to the circulated distribution, not pre-production copies.

Could be a simple error. That was a long time ago.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Why would it have been published, if the President of the Lds church had a problem with it that he saw when he read it in pre-production?
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Dr Moore wrote:He did say the exchanges happened "immediately after it appeared in print".

Typically "in print" refers to the circulated distribution, not pre-production copies.

Could be a simple error. That was a long time ago.

Good point. I chalk it up to Midgley being so old... he is in his 90's and that's a long time ago to remember. The world, unfortunately for the article's sake, still hasn't made any whoop about prophets in Mormonism. I would chalk that up to the redundant irrelevancies they have been repeating now nigh onto 4 decades. They are the evidence, and their teachings that what I was told in my youth was gaslighting me, namely, Jesus was having weekly meetings with them in the Salt Lake Temple to let them know what he wanted done with his church. Why I never thought of asking the question why doesn't Jesus just stick around and do it himself is beyond me.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Lemmie wrote:Why would it have been published, if the President of the LDS church had a problem with it that he saw when he read it in pre-production?

A great question! McKay (according to Prince's biography) was not a strictly doctrinal adhering prophet. He was more wishy washy than I had ever supposed. Perhaps the answer lies within that context? Or, Midgley is just doing Dunnisms. I would like to see what Midgley says about it also.The problem is anyone asking him will get banned as they are not just slobbering all over his words in total belief. So they are gonna have to read it from this board and get it back to Midgley.
Dr CamNC4Me
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

What did Midgley say publicly during the I'm a Mormon campaigns and other Mormon themed ones? I wonder if he thought Hinckley and Monson were fallen and leading everyone astray, as the devil claimed his victory.