Dunnisms from Midgley

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Re: Dunnisms from Midgley

Post by _Lemmie »

Stem wrote:What did Midgley say publicly during the I'm a Mormon campaigns and other Mormon themed ones? I wonder if he thought Hinckley and Monson were fallen and leading everyone astray, as the devil claimed his victory.

Well, during McKay’s tenure as editor of The Improvement Era, the repeating feature on the last page of every edition, every month, every year, for more than a decade, was called:

”Life Among the Mormons.”

If McKay really had a problem with the term, to the extent that he read Midgley’s article and made a phone call objecting to it, he would never have let that feature continue. Plus the terms Mormon, Mormons, and Mormonism were used dozens and dozens of times, in every single edition, every month of the year, every single year.

This is just the usual lds re-writing of history to keep up with what they have to pretend, with the usual disregard for truthfulness.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Lemmie wrote:Why would it have been published, if the President of the LDS church had a problem with it that he saw when he read it in pre-production?

A great question! McKay (according to Prince's biography) was not a strictly doctrinal adhering prophet. He was more wishy washy than I had ever supposed. Perhaps the answer lies within that context? Or, Midgley is just doing Dunnisms. I would like to see what Midgley says about it also.The problem is anyone asking him will get banned as they are not just slobbering all over his words in total belief. So they are gonna have to read it from this board and get it back to Midgley.

Good points. Peterson responded to midgley with something that included “memories get garbled.” How generous of him.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Stem wrote:What did Midgley say publicly during the I'm a Mormon campaigns and other Mormon themed ones? I wonder if he thought Hinckley and Monson were fallen and leading everyone astray, as the devil claimed his victory.

Here's their Catch 22.

Had they spoken out against the "I'm A Mormon" and "Meet The Mormon" campaigns they would have been guilty of not sustaining their leaders. Worse, it would have been classed as being anti-mormon and evil speaking of the Lords anointed.
By not speaking out against the "I'm A Mormon" and "Meet The Mormon" campaigns they have been guilty of supporting Satan.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Lemmie wrote:Good points. Peterson responded to midgley with something that included “memories get garbled.” How generous of him.

Fortunately, one thing that never gets garbled is the prophetic guidance surrounding the use of "Mormon."
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Lemmie wrote: Peterson responded to midgley with something that included “memories get garbled.” How generous of him.

Yeah, but it’s total BS. Let’s review:

I have told this story before; I will now tell it again. Many years ago, I published an essay in the Old Improvement Era entitle "The Christian World Awakens to the Need for Prophets." Immediately after it appeared in print, I received a phone call from Jay Todd, who was the editor of that magazine. He told me that President David O. McKay had phoned to indicate that he had read my essay and really liked it. However he had one criticism, and wanted me to know what it was. Hence the phone call. Elder McKay disliked my use of the words Mormon, instead of Latter-day Saint, and Mormonism, rather than Church of Jesus Christ or Community of Latter-day Saints. I now don't recall if I used Mormon Church, rather than Church of Jesus Christ.

It’s important to note The Midge claims to have told this story multiple times. It’s unlikely he’s getting the details of it wrong if he’s told it multiple times. Additionally, despite Mr. Peterson’s clumsy attempt to deflect, The Midge states quite clearly he received the call after it went to print.

These lying assholes fib so often they don’t care to read each others’ words carefully, but simply default to a defensive posture that simply requires them to say something, anything, to make the lie palatable; words be damned.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Dr. Detroit DanielPeterson
31 minutes ago
Dan,

Less contention is always better. I've frequently called out, and expressed my disapproval of Lou for publicly labeling Gemli as "dishonest" time and time again.

Now, Lou is publicly admitting that Gemli is not dishonest. I'm honestly curious as to why Lou has had this change of heart.

Louis Midgley Dr. Detroit
34 minutes ago
Please keep in mind that one might be bluffing or even dissembling when one suddenly asserts something that they would have to scramble to demonstrate....

https://disqus.com/home/discussion/danp ... 4589671303

That’s quite a telling statement from the master dissembler.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Midgley wrote:Ben:

I very much appreciate your calling my attention to the very obvious mistake I made when I wrote the following: "Immediately after it appeared in print," which as you correctly pointed out was a silly, careless mistake on my part--that is, not possible.

I submitted that essay to the Era many months before President McKay passed away. And there was much back and forth over the contents of my essay. Since what I had written was back then seen as both novel and sensitive, Jay Todd, then the editor, had to have it approved by those who both could and then did approve it.
When it was approved, I then received a call from Jay in which he indicated exactly what I said about President McKay's remarks. I asked Jay, if I should make additional changes because of what President McKay had said. I was a bit annoyed because I could see the approval process dragging on and on. Jay then explained that it had been approved as it was. This was a relief, since the editorial back and forth had raised the distint possibility that what I had written and then revised several time would never appear in print. I could have lived with that.

As much as I am committed to living up to what Dr. Midgley has described as my "utterly disgusting" reputation, I felt it would nonetheless be worthwhile to share Prof. Louis "Woody" Midgley's explanation for this apparent discrepancy.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Huh. That wasn't just a quick correction on a small detail. That was a completely different tale. Weird, that a story he's told multiple times now seems to have completely changed. So weird that.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Yep, Midgley's explanation is exactly what I thought he would say and I said so...
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Physics Guy
_Emeritus

Post by _Physics Guy »

Midgley's dialect seems to include an irregular verb:
I made an innocent mistake;
You expressed yourself poorly;
They lied.