President Nelson's BYU Speech Today

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Re: President Nelson's BYU Speech Today

Post by _Xenophon »

Aristotle Smith wrote:Is there a transcript yet? I have no desire to listen to Nelson's infantilizing speech patterns.
https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... ember-2019
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Truth number two: Truth is truth.

Some things are simply true. The arbiter of truth is God—not your favorite social media news feed, not Google, and certainly not those who are disaffected from the Church.

President Spencer W. Kimball taught that absolute truth cannot be “altered by the opinions of men. . . . If men are really humble, they will realize that they discover, but do not create, truth.”

Sometimes we as leaders of the Church are criticized for holding firm to the laws of God, defending the Savior’s doctrine, and resisting the social pressures of our day.

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... ember-2019

Those statements by Mr Nelson seem to me to be incongruous in a talk explaining why the Church did a u-turn on a policy given via revelation because enough people were upset by it.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_RAJ
_Emeritus

Post by _RAJ »

I listened to the whole creepy mess of a speech, and since this is largely an internal matter for believers, what can you do but shrug.

I do have to say, one of the most irksome aspects of the speech to me was Nelson invoking his background and experience as a Cardiac Surgeon. He helped the world move from ignorance to further light & knowledge, Don't-Cha-Know. He's a Doctor, and an accomplished one! He should therefore, be believed, listened to and respected on a host of other subjects - scientific, religious, political, whatever. Yet he seems almost completely ignorant and uncurious about the current state of sexual orientation science.

Anyway, I was embarrassed for him.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Speaking of which, is not Russell Nelson the only president of the LDS church who has actually taken a Hippocratic oath to do no harm?
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

From the speech toward the end:

Though it may not have looked this way to some, the 2015 and 2019 policy adjustments on this matter were both motivated by love—the love of our Heavenly Father for His children and the love of the Brethren for those whom we serve.

I would change "some" to "most." I would also change "love" to "sour grapes" regarding the 2015 changes and "love" to "a fear of continued backlash" for the 2019 walk-back changes. Nelson is obviously full of crap on this one.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

consiglieri wrote:Speaking of which, is not Russell Nelson the only president of the LDS church who has actually taken a Hippocratic oath to do no harm?

But he is doing it for the children, the children, Consiglieri. I wonder how many people caught doing misdeeds have used this excuse over the centuries? It has to be a very high number.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

consiglieri wrote:Just got done listening to the much heralded address of President Nelson on YouTube.

I just listened to it. Nicely done. Covers the bases. Pres. Nelson is a man of Love. God is a God of Love.

Regards,
MG
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

mentalgymnast wrote:
consiglieri wrote:Just got done listening to the much heralded address of President Nelson on YouTube.

I just listened to it. Nicely done. Covers the bases. Pres. Nelson is a man of Love. God is a God of Love.

Regards,
MG

Good to hear. Mormonism certainly is a good fit for you.
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Stem wrote:
Good to hear. Mormonism certainly is a good fit for you.

One not so minor quibble. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints would be a more appropriate designation.

I think that on the whole the church is a good fit for anyone who desires to follow all the commandments of God. That's quite a few folks across the world. I consider myself to be in good company. :wink:

Regards,
MG
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

My neck is still hurting from the whiplash...
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka