President Nelson's BYU Speech Today

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

President Nelson's BYU Speech Today

Post by _consiglieri »

Just got done listening to the much heralded address of President Nelson on YouTube.

It was a shocker.

He frames his talk as teaching five "truths" the Lord has inspired him to tell the young adults.

But it is clear this is an attempt to defend not only the 2015 Policy of Exclusion, but also its reversal in April of 2019.

This is truth number four.

Everything else is built around it.

The first truth is that everybody is a child of God and God loves everybody perfectly and infinitely.

The second truth is that truth is eternal and unchanging, as opposed to policies which can change.

The third truth is about how God has prophets to communicate his messages through, both eternal truth and temporary policies.

The fourth truth is about how God inspired the policy in the first place, but after President Nelson saw all the pain it was causing, he went back to God and pleaded with him to change it and God allowed him to do so.

The fifth truth is that everybody can find out that what he has said is true by praying to God and God will let them know.

President Nelson then closes by testifying that everything he has said is true.

(This may be a bit off because I just listened to it and did not make notes, but I think it captures the talk in substance.)

All the Best!

--Consiglieri
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Re: President Nelson's BYU Speech Today

Post by _Holy Ghost »

So God remains a homophobe/anti-homosexual, but Pres. Nelson set God straight about what omniscient God did not already know, so God buckled unto Nelson's desire? Nelson threw God under the bus on this one, big time!
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

"We are right even when we are wrong."
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

So, consig: How is the gaggle of TBMs receiving Nelson's message? Unquestioningly?
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

consiglieri wrote:The fifth truth is that everybody can find out that what he has said is true by praying to God and God will let them know.

I prayed about it and God told me that Nelson is not telling the truth. While he was talking to me, God told me that Joseph Smith's practice of polygamy was evil and that the notes to Facsimile 3 prove beyond any doubt that Joseph was a fraud.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

Did they close the devotional with the BYU Gay Men's Choir singing We Thank Thee O' God for a Prophet?
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

What is going to be the equivalent of Martin Harris losing the 116 pages, which caused Joseph to bellow out how he let god down for continuing to ask him? Will Nelson lament that he had lost his salvation at that day?

In a sense, I have to wonder, did they really have a choice but to lay out it like he did? Joseph supposedly learned a lesson about not asking God or doubting. Or perhaps does Nelson think he's greater than God?
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

Question of the Day: How much BS out of the COB can TBMs actually stomach?
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

For reference...

https://www.deseret.com/2019/9/17/20868 ... ism-policy

President Nelson’s remarks on the policy were part of a talk structured around five truths he called absolute and divine:

All are sons and daughters of God.
God loves all with perfect love.
Some truths are divine and incontrovertible.
Jesus Christ appoints prophets and apostles.
The Holy Ghost confirms divine truths.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

Holy Ghost wrote:Question of the Day: How much BS out of the COB can TBMs actually stomach?

A lot. When Prophecy Fails shows that most people who make large committments to their belief systems are not phased by a failed prediction (with a specific date) of the end of the world.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas