The Prophet Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

The Prophet Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

Post by _consiglieri »

New podcast just up at Radio Free Mormon.

Bill Reel and I dissect President Nelson's BYU talk from last Tuesday.

https://radiofreemormon.org/2019/09/7446/

I hope you like it!

All the Best!

--RFM
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: The Prophet Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

Post by _Shulem »

Oh goody, goody, goody!!!

:razz:
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

Agree that this talk contains a number of problematic statements, is oddly timed and structured, and does nothing to help sooth the exposed nerve.

Your revised 30 second talk at the end was brilliant. I hope you will publish that as a stand alone text somewhere. That is what we need. Simple, vulnerable, honest admission that best effort failed and we are sorry. Claiming that God had anything to do with the Pox or its pseudo-reversal just salts the wound.

Polygamy in context of his claim that God's definition of marriage between 1 man and 1 woman has not changed -- oyyyy veyyyyy -- no wonder the text version online was immediately edited to remove that claim.

Feedback: you guys spent a fair amount of time speculating that the exceptions to the PoX must have been from privileged Mormon families. I thought that line of reasoning was weak, lacked evidence, and was uncharacteristic relative to your methodology of sticking to harder data to craft arguments.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

I really enjoyed the podcast and will be listening to it again. The longer I'm out of the church the more the whole thing seems so ridiculous. NelSatan is self deluded and is inventing his own ideas of what a prophet is and how one operates as he goes along playing his game. Mormons today who adore him and revere what he says deserve every bit of him. He is playing a role and giving them what they think they need. The rising generation for the better part is not going to buy it. The church is losing a generation.
_Grudunza
_Emeritus

Post by _Grudunza »

Ah, I wish I had my new Weird Alma tune, “We Hate With Love,” ready for this.

Looking forward to hear you guys have a go at that talk. :smile:
http://www.WeirdAlma.com
Weird Alma - Prophet of the New Disputation
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Great job yet again. Nelson must know what he is doing, when he misleads everyone.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Dr Moore wrote:Polygamy in context of his claim that God's definition of marriage between 1 man and 1 woman has not changed -- oyyyy veyyyyy -- no wonder the text version online was immediately edited to remove that claim.
Wait...what? The man who is walking around with his second wife on his arm, his second eternal bride, actually said marriage was supposed to be between “one man and one woman”? But then the published transcript of what he said became “a man and a woman”?

For example, let’s consider the definition of marriage. In recent years, many countries, including the United States, have legalized same-sex marriage. As members of the Church, we respect the laws of the land and abide by them, including civil marriage. The truth is, however, that in the beginning—in the beginning—marriage was ordained by God! And to this day it is defined by Him as being between a man and a woman.

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... ember-2019
What did Nelson actually say?
Can the Church truthfully call it a transcript when it’s been quietly re-written without showing the amendments?
Who gets to decide which words to retrospectively put in Nelsons mouth?

God has not changed His definition of marriage.

That statement is so disingenuous it is beyond belief that it isn’t a deliberate attempt to mislead.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

The 2015 policy decision to exclude the children of same-sex couples from Church membership was made solely out of anger toward the Supreme Court decision to allow same-sex marriage. To claim it was made out of love of God is a lie. It was a decision based on anger and the policy reversal was made because it caused members to leave and brought the Church much bad publicity.

Instead, President Nelson should have apologized for claiming this horrendous policy was a revelation back in 2016. The web grows increasingly tangled when you decide to deceive.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

moksha wrote:The 2015 policy decision to exclude the children of same-sex couples from Church membership was made solely out of anger toward the Supreme Court decision to allow same-sex marriage. To claim it was made out of love of God is a lie. It was a decision based on anger and the policy reversal was made because it caused members to leave and brought the Church much bad publicity.

Instead, President Nelson should have apologized for claiming this horrendous policy was a revelation back in 2016. The web grows increasingly tangled when you decide to deceive.

Oh wow, that's a strong statement coming from you. It's clear you did not like NelSatan's talk at all. I will agree that they didn't make the policy out of the love in their hearts for children of gay parents. That's utterly false. They made the policy out of spite and stubbornness.

I have a question is correct when he calls out NelSatan's hypocrisy in the definition of marriage seeing that he's a polygamist himself -- Wendy-bitch at his side along with this first wife -- that makes two women so he's a premeditated polygamist planning to bed two women at once when he gets to his Mormon heaven. NelSatan is a goddamn liar!
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

moksha wrote:The 2015 policy decision to exclude the children of same-sex couples from Church membership was made solely out of anger toward the Supreme Court decision to allow same-sex marriage. To claim it was made out of love of God is a lie. It was a decision based on anger and the policy reversal was made because it caused members to leave and brought the Church much bad publicity.

Couldn't agree more. Spot on.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen