The 2019 Sampson Avard Golden Scepter Award

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

The 2019 Sampson Avard Golden Scepter Award

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

My Dear Friends and Colleagues:

I confess: this is one of my favorite times of year. I love the fall term. New students have arrived on campus. The leaves begin to turn. The stifling heat of summer gives way to the gentle and cool breezes of autumn. And, of course, with fall comes our annual Sampson Avard Golden Scepter Award. As you may know, Dean Robbers established this award some time ago--and it is a great honor indeed, having been given in the past to such luminaries as Grant Hardy, Bill Hamblin, Neal Rappleye, and Gerald Bradford. The award, to quote from the charge that is given to the nominating committee each year, is that the Golden Scepter should be "given to a person--nearly always a believing and committed Latter-day Saint--who has contributed the most to our understanding of Mopologetics." It is my great honor to name the awardees this year--and yes, you heard correctly: this year, there are two recipients. The first of these, I'm sure, needs no introduction. Please join me in a round of applause for the 2019 recipient, Louis Midgley!!!

Midgley has demonstrated, with almost unwavering alacrity, that Mopologetics is a fundamentally sadistic enterprise: something designed to humiliate, shame, and punish anyone who runs afoul of the goals of Mopologetics. His track record of viciousness is unparalleled, and his status within the group as something of an "Emperor Palpatine" means that he will not be countered or opposed by anyone in his general vicinity. Whatever the case may be, this year's Golden Scepter Nominating Committee felt that Midgley deserved the award thanks his endlessly revelatory performance on Sic et Non, where, nearly every day, he teaches the world what Mopologetics is really all about.

This year's co-recipient of the Golden Scepter is someone who has generally existed on the fringes of Mopologetics, but whose volcanic rage led to a recent eruption on the blog called "Faith Promoting Rumor." The Nominating Committee was unanimous in its decision on this one: by providing us with such a clear and incisive window into the true spirit of Mopologetics, there is just no way that we could have failed to co-award this year's Golden Scepter to Blake Ostler!!!

With his effulgent head of hair, and with a sartorial sensibility that seems lifted straight from the secret gambling parlors and strip clubs of South Philadelphia, Ostler cuts a striking figure. In his remarks on "Faith Promoting Rumor," he first asserted that Louis Midgley had "passed," only to later recant and claim that Midgley had "passed" from the "scholarly scene." Then, he threatened several of the commentators on the post, claiming that he had somehow procured their private information, and that he intended to use it against them. Again, the Committee felt that this couldn't go unrecognized: Ostler has taught us something very revealing and important about Mopologetics.

Folks, this year, the competition was stiff indeed, hence our decision to award the prize to two individuals. Please join me in extending to them a hearty round of congratulations! Hoist a glass! Hurl a macuahuitl! Or, if you'd prefer, take a comfortable stroll over to the atrium beside the Dean's Office in order to view the stunning plaque with all the names of past winners. This is a high honor indeed, and it is my pleasure as Cassius's B. H. Chair of Mopologetics Studies to be able to confer the prize on these two highly-deserving people.

Three cheers for Louis Midgley and Blake Ostler!
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Re: The 2019 Sampson Avard Golden Scepter Award

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Perfect selection... the committee is to be commended loudly.
Hip hip hooray!
Hip hip Hooray!
HIP HIP HOORAY!!!

If there were an award for snot nosed spirituality, Midgley could also receive that one.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

I was just elbowed in the ribs by one of my colleagues: it apparently needs to be pointed out that this is the 10th anniversary of the Avard Golden Scepter Award. Hip hip hooray!
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Oh those adorable apologetic cheeks, I just want to pinch them!

Pinch, pinch, pinch!

Kissy, kissy, baby cheeks.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Midgley has demonstrated, with almost unwavering alacrity, that Mopologetics is a fundamentally sadistic enterprise: something designed to humiliate, shame, and punish anyone who runs afoul of the goals of Mopologetics.

That’s Midgley to a T. Thanks, Doctor Scratch.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Eew gross. Bad breath and fake hair. No way, baby. I'll pass.

Is that a pimple?
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Hear Hear, Doctor Scratch. I never lack confidence in the committee's selection process, and sure enough, they declared quite the appropriate and deserving recipients indeed.

Louis Midgley and Blake Ostler, two huge congratulations to each of you!
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Will the Samson Avard awards be presented during the Interpreter Radio Gospel Hour?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

The Committee has done well as always-perhaps staterooms on the Cruise Lady lines could be arranged for their outstanding work.

I only wish that BYU Professor Brad Wilcox had posted much earlier his "seer stone comparison with his Iphone as translation tools" video so that the Committee might have been able to screen it before it was taken down (up,down,up, but never gone away). It is a candidate not for vindictiveness in Mopologetics but sheer, brash incompetence for him to truly believe that anyone, member or not, could believe the Iphone and seer stone are similar simply because they both have smooth surfaces, writing appears on the surface and both need to be shielded from the sun in order to be read.Professor Wilcox will surely not get a raise after his performance review this year and probably could have used the Sampson Avard Golden Scepter Award stipend( is it $25 or $50 dollars or does it vary yearly depending on donations?).

Thank you for allowing me to post concerning this august award and once again I applaud with great enthusiasm the committee's work and await word of responses from the co-receipents!

kairos
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Doctor Scratch, I’m led to believe that, whereas a unanimous decision is normally reached by the nominations committee within the hours of a scholastic day, this years Sampson Avard conclave ran on through the night and well beyond sunset the following day. Further, I hear the increasingly restless crowd awaiting smoke from the chimney over the Great Hall heard some sort of kerfuffle from within late on into the evening of the second day. Rumors are circulating that there was a heated exchange amongst 2 of the more vocal committee members over which of the two leading nominees should receive the award, and that an escalation into something more unseemly was only narrowly avoided by the Dean’s diplomatic intervention with a bottle of aged single malt from his private collection and the suggestion that two scepters be awarded to mark the 10th Anniversary.

Care to comment on these rumors?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')