Washington Post: Mormon Church has misled members on finance

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_lemuel
_Emeritus

Re: Washington Post: Mormon Church has misled members on fin

Post by _lemuel »

lemuel wrote:Remember that the Liahona Children's Foundation exists, because we don't feed our poor children.

Also the Church forced the LCF to change its name:

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/bjnig5/liahona_childrens_foundation_changed_their_name/
https://bountifulchildren.org/

Mormon 8:37 For behold, ye do love money, and your substance, and your fine apparel, and the adorning of your churches, more than ye love the poor and the needy, the sick and the afflicted.

39 Why do ye adorn yourselves with that which hath no life, and yet suffer the hungry, and the needy, and the naked, and the sick and the afflicted to pass by you, and notice them not?

Holy crap guys--the Liahona Children's fund used to mention how it was about feeding poor Mormon kids; the current website has scrubbed all references to helping poor Mormon kids.

The website used to say you could adopt a stake for $6000. Now it says you can adopt a community for $6000.
https://bountifulchildren.org/how-to-help/adopt-a-community
The church seems to be actively hindering their efforts to feed poor kids so they don't look bad.
_Equality
_Emeritus

Post by _Equality »

I have a question wrote:Damage control
Monday’s Washington Post story about the finances of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has already gotten a lot of attention. We think it deserves more.

Not because the topic of church holdings is somehow new — it’s not (Time magazine once ran a cover story titled, “Mormons, INC.”) — but because the renewed focus on the church’s extensive holdings once again proves that, well, the church actually practices what it preaches regarding provident living and self-reliance. They take seriously the biblical story about Joseph and Egypt’s seven years of plenty followed by seven years of famine.

https://www.deseret.com/opinion/2019/12 ... k-goodness

If it’s such good news and praise worthy, why was it kept a secret?
When was the last time the Church described its holdings as “extensive”? I’m guessing, never.

Wow! So they admit the article got the facts basically correct. Here's the problem: if the church wants to amass hundreds of billions of dollars, it can certainly do that. If the church wants to do it through a non-profit entity and not pay taxes, however, not so much. You want to not pay taxes, you have to distribute the income. You want to hold onto the income and pretend you are Joseph of Egypt? That's fine, but you gotta then render unto Caesar (to mix biblical analogies). It's actually very simple.

Also, why all the secrecy? Was Joseph secretive about what he did?
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_Mormonicious
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormonicious »

Just goes to show you how much Rusty and the Boys believe in Mormon Jebus and blessings from Mormon heaven.

Maybe I should start hording my Money instead of believing that Mormon Jebus will bless me if I pay may tithing. After all if the Mormon Corporation needs to horde money for the Second Coming of Mormon Jebus, I better have some of my own. Hmmm
Revelation 2:17 . . give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. Thank Google GOD for her son eBay, you can now have life eternal with laser engraving. . oh, and a seer stone and save 10% of your life's earning as a bonus. See you in Mormon man god Heaven Bitches!!. Bring on the Virgins
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

The church basically took my money so they could get along without me.

That in a nutshell describes so much of my relationship with the church in retrospect.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

consiglieri wrote:The church basically took my money so they could get along without me.

That in a nutshell describes so much of my relationship with the church in retrospect.

consiglieri,

Hearken and listen to the word of the Lord. You have not given all that you have but have held back. Your very house is not yours but belongs to the Lord. If you own your home you may continue to borrow it and live therein but if you have faith you will assign the deed over to the church whereby after your passing the Lord's kingdom may continue to increase in value. All that you have belongs to the Lord and his church. You made that covenant in the temple now walk up to it and do your duty.

_Fifth Columnist
_Emeritus

Post by _Fifth Columnist »

reflexzero wrote:
“We want to help in every way we can,” said Elder Andersen. “We are not a wealthy people but we are good people, and we share what we have,” he added.

I wonder what he means by this. We (the members) are not a wealthy people, but we (the members) are a good people, and we (the members) share what we have?

I don’t really buy that he is honestly talking about the corporation. It seems he is using carefully worded language to shift responsibility without showing his cards.

Andersen likely doesn't know anything about Ensign Peak and its holdings. Lars said in a podcast with Infants on Thrones that the junior apostles likely know nothing. He also said that when Packer became President of the Quorum of the Twelve, he asked for more information about Ensign Peak and was denied! There was only a small number of people who know how much money is there (FP, Presiding Bishopric, a few people at Ensign Peak, an outside auditor (reportedly one guy at Deloitte) ... ). Crazy stuff.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Long at last. The day I've been waiting for. Tax the Mormon church. Here comes the IRS and the feds to take a piece of that sweet Mormon pie. Billions! It will be an easy pick and an easy win for the IRS.

Sad day for Mormonism.

:lol:

_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Please note Lars is active on the Tribune’s comments section:

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/12/17/ ... e3_d0c5ee6

Consiglieri,

Please reach out to him for an interview. He seems to want to talk about this.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Please note Lars is active on the Tribune’s comments section:

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/12/17/ ... e3_d0c5ee6

Consiglieri,

Please reach out to him for an interview. He seems to want to talk about this.

- Doc

Consider contracting this interview with a stipulation that if they receive a settlement from the IRS you get a fee for doing the interview.

$$$$$$$

Big chance to make big money!
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.