Washington Post: Mormon Church has misled members on finance

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: Washington Post: Mormon Church has misled members on fin

Post by _Kishkumen »

Maybe Jesus was planning on hiring Blackwater/Xe Services to slay the wicked.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Nielsen told Ensign in a resignation letter dated Aug. 29 that his employment had become unworkable after his wife and children left the Mormon Church and asked him to follow them, according to a copy of the letter provided by Lars Nielsen. David Nielsen offered to continue working until Oct. 4.

7-hour MoSto interview?
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I knew they worshiped their savings and investment accounts. Also, it's not surprising that money had to be dumped into the mall. Crossroads was on its last leg and rumor had it that ZCMI was continually subsidized at the time of the mall's announcement.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Well, well. Isn't this interesting? Remember how, on "SeN", we were just treated to a--what, eleven- or twelve-part "series" about Church finances? And how everything the Church as been doing is justifiable? So, was that just coincidence, or was it to pre-empt what he knew was coming down the tubes?
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Morley
_Emeritus

Post by _Morley »

Doctor Scratch wrote:Well, well. Isn't this interesting? Remember how, on "SeN", we were just treated to a--what, eleven- or twelve-part "series" about Church finances? And how everything the Church as been doing is justifiable? So, was that just coincidence, or was it to pre-empt what he knew was coming down the tubes?

My thoughts, too. I'd guess it was about preemption.
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

Kishkumen wrote:Maybe a Jesus was planning on hiring Blackwater/Xe Services to slay the wicked.

Lol

I don't know tax law so I stayed away from tax exemption the past couple weeks arguing with dr person and co. This was my basic point, the church it's a large corporation and as such is intent on making money. When it builds ward houses or temples its doing so with the bottom line in mind. When it builds it gets more donations. If it stopped building it would lose financial growth and it would lose or start to lose the large base. The membership needs growth or the appearance of it to maximize its financial situation.

According to this guy all money taken in as donations that is left after operation costs goes to business ventures to make more money. Tax exemption for that is a big old racket if ever there was one. Everyone should care beyond actual donors because if he's right a100 billion plus corporation paying taxes on 1 million is hurting us all.
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

Doctor Scratch wrote:Well, well. Isn't this interesting? Remember how, on "SeN", we were just treated to a--what, eleven- or twelve-part "series" about Church finances? And how everything the Church as been doing is justifiable? So, was that just coincidence, or was it to pre-empt what he knew was coming down the tubes?

I think not. But an interesting link because if the complaint is correct, and an investigation will confirm, then the church did SPEND (not INVEST) a lot of tithing money to bail out City Creek. That is somewhat of a worst case scenario from a PR standpoint.
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

Exiled wrote:I knew they worshiped their savings and investment accounts. Also, it's not surprising that money had to be dumped into the mall. Crossroads was on its last leg and rumor had it that ZCMI was continually subsidized at the time of the mall's announcement.

Yep
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Good question, Doctor. Was he tipped off by Church HQ?

Will he write another long series of posts on stuffing the Lord’s piggy bank?
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Morley wrote:

My thoughts, too. I'd guess it was about preemption.

Which, if true, would mean that someone high-ranking was feeding him gossip, and the he was given a green light to engage in this preemptive spin-doctoring. Quite insidious.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14