The Church Went To Great Lengths To Hide The 100 Billion

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

The Church Went To Great Lengths To Hide The 100 Billion

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Excerpts show how the LDS Church tried to keep a lid on its $100B account, even freezing out apostle Boyd K. Packer:

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/12 ... w-how-lds/
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: The Church Went To Great Lengths To Hide The 100 Billion

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Fiannan
_Emeritus

Post by _Fiannan »

How did they freeze out Boyd K. Packer? I cannot access the Salt Lake paper at the moment.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

Fiannan wrote:How did they freeze out Boyd K. Packer? I cannot access the Salt Lake paper at the moment.

Ditto.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Here you go:

SL Trib wrote:“Boyd K. Packer, when he was next in line to succeed then-church President Thomas S. Monson, came to [EPA President Roger] Clarke wanting to know how much Ensign Peak had amassed and the details of its structure. Mr. Clarke told Mr. Packer that he could not share such details.

“Mr. Packer said, ‘I think I should know. I’m the most senior apostle and president of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, and I’m a breath away from being the next prophet. I think I should be prepared.’

“Mr. Clarke reaffirmed that he had been instructed not to reveal that information to Mr. Packer, who went away perturbed and unsatisfied, as related to the whistleblower by Richard B. Willes, the head of fixed income at EPA at the time. Mr. Packer died before he could join the First Presidency and know the value of EPA.”

So, was it Monson who ordered this? Uchtdorf?
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Thanks for posting that Dr. Scratch. Here is the remainder of the article for those of you that have been locked out:

Fudging a BYU audit

“Because [Brigham Young University] receives federal funding, it had to be audited by an independent third party, in this case Deloitte & Touche. In order for Deloitte to verify the market value of BYU’s endowment, it needed to verify the market value of EPA’s funds.

“This was unacceptable to the [LDS Church] because the [church] did not want anyone at Deloitte to discover the true size of EPA. So, the [church] leaned on Mark Stevens, a Mormon and audit director at Deloitte, to vouch for the audit without letting any auditors see, which he did for multiple years. Eventually, Deloitte felt uncomfortable with the arrangement; it did not represent the industry’s ‘best practices’ (for obvious reasons).

“In response, EPA painstakingly stripped out all affiliate interests in all EPA funds and created separate accounts dedicated to affiliate money so that independent auditors would see no further into EPA; i.e., they would audit a cup of water instead of an entire ocean.”

Limiting broker data

“The 2001 Patriot Act requires all financial counterparties to ‘know your client’ before on-boarding (to prevent funding terrorist activities). Custodians and brokers have repeatedly requested due-diligence documentation consistent with their internal standards and written procedures, which include full financial statements. In lieu of financial statements, EPA instead provides a ‘Statement of Financial Condition.’

“Custodians and brokers who accommodate this exception go against industry best practices and their internal risk management policies. But some are not willing to forgo business with EPA. EPA simply refuses to work with a counterparty that demands EPA’s financial statements.”
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

Thanks, Everybody Wang Chung!
_reflexzero
_Emeritus

Post by _reflexzero »

“Some things that are true are not very useful”–Boyd K. Packer
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

These are embarrassing revelations. They probably won’t be the last. The bottom line is the senior Church Leaders cannot be trusted to practice in private what they preach in public.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

The extent supporters will go to is bizarre. Check out this comment.

John Pack Lambert Cody Quirk • 2 hours ago • edited

That article says the Church "purchased chunks of main street". How one block became chunks is unclear....

Seriously? An ENTIRE BLOCK, on Main Street? Calling it a “chunk” is underselling. I would have no problem defining an entire block as “a major swath of property, the single purchase of which could effectively change the entire neighborhood.”