Fringe Mormonism Rears its Ugly Head Again

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Fringe Mormonism Rears its Ugly Head Again

Post by _Fence Sitter »

In a chapter taken right out of the Lafferty brothers playbook, it appears a fringe couple of LDS preppers (is "fringe couple of LDS preppers redundant?)have killed their own spouses and run off together with her two children. A lawyer for the couple describes them as "loving devoted parents".

See Fox News ("Fox News" an oxymoron) story here.

And in related news the MAD thread about this here is a object lesson in irony and cluelessness. For example this from the boards leading pontificator SMAC'

SMAC@MAD wrote:Brothers and sisters, keep the doctrine of Christ pure and never be deceived by those who tamper with the doctrine. The gospel of the Father and the Son was restored through Joseph Smith, the prophet for this last dispensation.

Since doctrine is never clearly defined and subject to personal interpretation, SMAC's personal interpretation is as likely to be tampering as this couples'.

SMAC@MAD wrote:Do not listen to those who have not been ordained and/or set apart to their Church calling and are not acknowledged by common consent of the members of the Church.

A category in which SMAC himself resides.

SMAC@MAD wrote:Be aware of organizations, groups, or individuals claiming secret answers to doctrinal questions that they say today’s apostles and prophets do not have or understand.

"Secret answers to doctrinal questions" Now what chruch do we know that claims that exact thing?

SMAC@MAD wrote:Do not listen to those who entice you with get-rich schemes. Our members have lost far too much money, so be careful.

I know right? Much better to give your money to the church, that way at least you know where your money is and how it is not being used.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Re: Fringe Mormonism Rears it's Ugly Head Again

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Wow! Chad Daybell is the one who published all of those Julie Rowe books.

What a tragic story. I'm hoping that we don't eventually find out that Chad Daybell had a personal revelation to sacrifice his children, but that's the way it's looking.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

Point of order, Fence Sitter.

I think Smac was actually quoting from a GC talk by Elder Ballard.

So those aren't his words.

Just his sentiments.

Which he is forced to adopt as his own.

Because, you know . . . Mormonism.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Smac is good for a laugh at times. The subtext of his message is that the natural pull of religion turns everyday people into murderous fanatics. Beware at every turn to guard yourself against the impulses of religious thinking. It's so hard to resist.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Preparing a People. OK. Interesting stuff. I recall back in the 1980s and ‘90s when people’s apocalyptic dreams sent them fleeing into the wilderness as survivalists. This looks like a more organized version of the same thing. Odd how people fleeing imagined dangers end up embroiled in real ones.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Simon Southerton
_Emeritus

Re: Fringe Mormonism Rears its Ugly Head Again

Post by _Simon Southerton »

The couple behind the borderline doomsday prepper cult "Prepare a People", Michael & Nancy James, are in full damage control. "We are not a cult, we are not a cult, we are not a cult..."

These are the same folk who have been peddling Dean Session's "Universal Model" and Rodney Meldrum's "Heartland" snake oil. Michael and Nancy James profit off fear-mongering LDS conmen (and conwomen) who in turn profit off ignorant Mormons fearing the calamitous Second Coming. They are just another manifestation of a doomsday cult.

Statement on Recent News Events​
December, 26, 2019

*We are a small multi-media company (Color My Media) that has provided services to a variety of clients for about 7 years. "Preparing A People" was a series of lecture events focusing on self-reliance and personal preparation. These provided several LDS speakers and authors an educational forum. Associated with these events were podcasts, videos and websites used to advertise and distribute some of their content.

*Chad Daybell was an author and began publishing books over 20 years ago under the name of "Spring Creek Book Company." He spoke at some of the "Preparing A People" events, but had no ownership in it, nor was he a founder. Mr. Daybell was simply one of many speakers at the events. His last speaking engagement was back in February of 2019, in Boise, Idaho. Like all of our speakers, we helped promote the events by interviewing and podcasting interviews with our speakers, including, but in no way exclusively to, Mr. Daybell.

*The majority of our work in 2019 has been contract video editing working for other companies. This has nothing to do with Mr. Daybell.

*We decided in early Spring of 2019 to close out our Preparing A People commitments and moved back to Utah from Rexburg, Idaho to work with clients based in the Utah area, which has always been the bulk of our work. None of this had anything to do with Mr.Daybell.

*While out of the country on a family trip, we were deeply saddened to learn of the sudden death of Tammy Daybell, the wife of Mr. Daybell.

We, Michael and Nancy James, own Color My Media, and the Preparing A People website and again, for clarity, Mr. Daybell had no ownership or founding interest in any of our businesses. We were shocked by the reports about Mr. Daybell and the missing children. Like everyone, we are deeply disturbed over media reports involving Mr. Daybell and his new wife Lori Vallow and her 2 missing children. Lori Vallow appeared on some podcasts submitted by our podcast network partners. We learned of the missing children Fri. Dec. 20, 2019. along with everyone else via news articles.

In light of concerning media reports and ongoing criminal investigations regarding the recent death of Lori Vallow's previous husband in Arizona, and the sudden death of Mr. Daybell's previous wife in Idaho, along with the unknown whereabouts of Chad and Lori, we feel it inappropriate to represent or promote any media content that featured or contained references to either Chad Daybell or Lori Vallow.

We are cooperating with law enforcement, and ask anybody who has information that could assist investigators in Arizona or Idaho to please contact them. We ask for prayers on behalf of the missing children JJ. and Tylie, and ask that the truth of whatever happened will be brought to light soon.

We are also amazed at the lack of journalistic standards by several news sources. "Preparing A People" is part of a media company that films speakers on a variety of topics not affiliated with any specific religion. It is not a "group" and is not a "Cult" or something people join, but has educational lecture events that can be attended or watched on video. We have provided multi-media services for a wide variety of other events and clients. Mr. Daybell did not start, own or control any part of our media company. Neither he, nor any speaker, was paid to speak at our events. We also do not share any of Chad Daybell's or Lori Vallow's beliefs if they are contrary to Christian principles of honesty, integrity and truth, or if they do not align with the doctrines of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.​

Michael & Nancy James
Color My Media & Preparing A People

https://www.preparingapeople.com/
LDS apologetics --> "It's not the crime, it's the cover-up, which creates the scandal."
"Bigfoot is a crucial part of the ecosystem, if he exists. So let's all help keep Bigfoot possibly alive for future generations to enjoy, unless he doesn't exist." - Futurama
_tapirrider
_Emeritus

Post by _tapirrider »

Simon Southerton wrote:These are the same folk who have been peddling Dean Session's "Universal Model" and Rodney Meldrum's "Heartland" snake oil.

Thanks Simon. I hadn't thought about that until you mentioned it here.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

“Prepare a People.” Thank you for the correction, Simon. Yes, I imagine they would not like the stigma of the word cult attached to their organization. It sounds, in any case, like a fascinating phenomenon worthy of further study. Doubtless this would not be the first marketing-oriented group of this kind—the Heartland group is a similar thing—but the intensity of apocalyptic fervor makes this much more dramatic.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Then again the Church used to teach food storage and the 72-hour kit for emergencies. And they used to have firesides and Know Your Religion talks on the last days. That's how I got into it back in the day, is listening to a tape recording of an apocalyptic fireside. Actually, the Church has all kinds of materials on the end times in the J.D., and at one time, the Church claimed to be led by a Prophet in the Latter Days.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Gadianton wrote:Then again the Church used to teach food storage and the 72-hour kit for emergencies. And they used to have firesides and Know Your Religion talks on the last days. That's how I got into it back in the day, is listening to a tape recording of an apocalyptic fireside. Actually, the Church has all kinds of materials on the end times in the J.D., and at one time, the Church claimed to be led by a Prophet in the Latter Days.

It’s been the “last days” since the first century AD. Poor Paul had a task convincing the Greeks of Thessaly that the end would be a little while yet. Last days are good business for Christianity.