You don't understand Tithing!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

You don't understand Tithing!

Post by _SuperDell »

Relative who is a fine Artist and actually makes his living with it had his Bishop go off on him at Tithing Settlement. Seems the Bishop doesn't like the fact that he figures his tithing on 10% of his "increase" - and that figure comes from what he reports on his taxes each year. Bishop told him he did not understand Tithing or he would be paying "ten times what he is now".

He travels a few times a year to work on location and the costs do mount up. He tracks all expenses carefully and has a mutual friend (CPA) do his taxes.

His travel vehicle is nine years old and set up for camping on the road. His house is a decent one with a complete separate Studio space on the 10 or so acres he has. He gathers and hand makes and mixes a lot of his materials.

All his income is from his art sales and a few honorariums from lectures and workshops.

You don't buy from him, only from his Rep/Gallery so he does not have to deal with showing and sales personally.

Bishop can't seem to understand how a guy who sells an individual piece for $35,000 isn't a millionaire and paying tithing on all that money he must be making. Bishop has a secure Government job with benefits. So, this year there is no renewal of a Temple Recommend as this turkey is accusing my friend of "holding back from The Lord". He had to turn in his current recommend after the interview.

Friend has been semi on the way out for a few years now & I am guessing this will do it. Recommend was mainly so he could attend a few Temple weddings and with the last of his kids married a few months ago I think he will quit playing the game.

Don't think he will go to the StPrez about it.

Sad to see the drama it has caused in his life. Basically being called a liar. Only guessing but I think this is the push he has needed to fade out of the group.
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Re: You don't understand Tithing!

Post by _Dr. Shades »

SuperDell wrote:He had to turn in his current recommend after the interview.

Hopefully he made the bishop go and get it from him rather than taking the time and trouble to go back and hand-deliver it to the bishop himself.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

Not just a little ironic for a bishop to distrust the tithing payer while supporting a non-transparent tithing recipient church.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Meadowchik wrote:Not just a little ironic for a bishop to distrust the tithing payer while supporting a non-transparent tithing recipient church.

Bingo.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

The church makes jacka$$ collection agents out of bishops.

One wonders if the Bishop is even capable of seeing the irony in accusing this man of hiding his assets from the uber secretive church. My guess is that a lot of deprogramming would have to happen prior to the Bishop being able to rationally see what just happened and his role in this.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

What a lovely tithing experience. he should share it at the next testimony meeting. Others in the ward have probably been treated similarly and they can all feel edified with each other.
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

I wish he would go to the Stake President. Right or wrong in the SP mind will never the less chastise a Bishop for losing his cool. I hate tithing..
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

crap like this happened to me when I was on my way out.

I remember one day I asked my Branch President how my tithing money got spent. He said that it went to a good cause like building churches and temples. I asked him, "how do YOU know?"

Then I asked where all my fast offerings and donations went. He said they were sent to Salt Lake and then SL would send a portion back when requested for help. I was pissed because they didn't get used in our community. He said they went to a good purpose to help out the poor in other parts of the world. I asked, "how do YOU know?"

I finished that conversation with the promise that I would be a full tithing payer the day the church disclosed it's financial statement and was open and honest with it's members about tithing.

I believe the Branch President said, "Once you pay your tithing to the church, it is no longer your business or concern how the money is spent. It's none of your business. It is the church's money to spend as they see fit." Selek from MAD said almost the exact same quote to me in a tithing thread. Pissed me off to no end. I got banned over there that day.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

cwald wrote:I believe the Branch President said, "Once you pay your tithing to the church, it is no longer your business or concern how the money is spent. It's none of your business. It is the church's money to spend as they see fit." Selek from MAD said almost the exact same quote to me in a tithing thread.

It makes you wonder whether the Branch President was getting a kickback or skim. Selek gets a commission payment per insult.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

10 percent of increase, what is that suppose to mean?? Does not anybody figure self employ by looking at remainder of gross business receipts less business expenses ( including the half of sales that the gallery takes)?(exact percentage may vary a bit)

I can understand somebody not wanting to clarify with the bishop if they do not really believe in the Mormon church. You can send money to the red cross and they will not complain. On the other hand if you believe and actually want to go to the temple (something outside of my understanding) would you not work out an understanding?