John Pratt Says He Has Found the Plates of Mormon

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: John Pratt Says He Has Found the Plates of Mormon

Post by _I have a question »

The thread title is a bit misleading. John Pratt has only been invited to be a witness to the plates that have been discovered/bestowed upon Mauricio Berger, whoever the hell he is.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

I have a question wrote:The thread title is a bit misleading. John Pratt has only been invited to be a witness to the plates that have been discovered/bestowed upon Mauricio Berger, whoever the hell he is.

Maybe it will be the makings of a new church -- another splinter off the old block. Sounds like this new guy is going to have lots women to play with or boys, whatever he prefers.

:lol:
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Damn I love this guy. I am getting verklempt here.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

DCP needs to either go down there and handle this set of plates and prayerfully inquire about their authenticity, or he needs to do the honest thing and delete this post:

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... snite.html
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

I am curious about these Jadeites that Peterson refers to!

Way back in 1952, Hugh Nibley published this little parable about the Book of Mormon in his book Lehi in the Desert and the World of the Jadeites. It still seems to me to fit a great many responses to the Book of Mormon (and, for that matter, to the Book of Abraham):
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Grudunza
_Emeritus

Post by _Grudunza »

I hope they gain many many followers, so we can see more of the crazy. And really, mainstream LDS should be made aware of this, and if they don’t accept it, asked why.

I mean, this is why: http://restorationbookstore.org/Brazil_ ... d_v2-4.pdf

And if you read the “translation” itself, it is laughably self-referential. But still, if a Brighamite Mormon would dismiss this based on the evidence, but not consider the mountain of similar evidence against the OG version of this (Book of Mormon, Book of Abraham, etc.), well, that’s an amusing but not surprising double-standard.

Regardless, I give Berger an A+ for effort; inscribed plates, sword of Laban, cool angel pics, etc. You’re really getting some entertainment value for your tithes and devotion with this guy.
:biggrin:
http://www.WeirdAlma.com
Weird Alma - Prophet of the New Disputation
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

I am curious about these Jadeites that Peterson refers to!

LOL!
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

Now that we have plates, surely someone will take some pictures and submit them to an expert for translation?

No?
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Why do they not take pictures of each and every page and share it with the world to test, read, and enjoy? These days of cell phones could change everything. He claims he is scientific and he evinces nothing of a scientific attitude on any part of anything he experienced...... its truly almost silly. Seriously. SHOW US THE EVIDENCE, page by page and lets get this thing over with. True or not?
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

This is pretty funny.

If for no other reason that it shows a sufficiently determined person can, in fact, construct a set of plates having the appearance of a historical artifact.