John Pratt Says He Has Found the Plates of Mormon

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: John Pratt Says He Has Found the Plates of Mormon

Post by _Kishkumen »

Grudunza wrote:I hope they gain many many followers, so we can see more of the crazy. And really, mainstream LDS should be made aware of this, and if they don’t accept it, asked why.

I mean, this is why: http://restorationbookstore.org/Brazil_ ... d_v2-4.pdf

And if you read the “translation” itself, it is laughably self-referential. But still, if a Brighamite Mormon would dismiss this based on the evidence, but not consider the mountain of similar evidence against the OG version of this (Book of Mormon, Book of Abraham, etc.), well, that’s an amusing but not surprising double-standard.

Regardless, I give Berger an A+ for effort; inscribed plates, sword of Laban, cool angel pics, etc. You’re really getting some entertainment value for your tithes and devotion with this guy.
:biggrin:

It blows my mind that someone wrote fifty pages of text refuting this. That really raises the question of just who is the crazy person here. My money is on the debunker.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Dr Moore wrote:This is pretty funny.

If for no other reason that it shows a sufficiently determined person can, in fact, construct a set of plates having the appearance of a historical artifact.

I would contend that these people understand something about Mormonism that others have missed. Early Mormonism is to be found as much or more in the performance of the Book of Mormon’s discovery and translation as it is in the church that was later organized around it. The treasure digs, relics, and translation processes are the founding rituals, part of the religion itself. What better way to recapture those foundations than to repeat them as James Strang realized long ago.

Anyone who Mormons without these elements is not really exhaustive in their practice.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_jfro18
_Emeritus

Post by _jfro18 »

Philo Sofee wrote:Why do they not take pictures of each and every page and share it with the world to test, read, and enjoy? These days of cell phones could change everything. He claims he is scientific and he evinces nothing of a scientific attitude on any part of anything he experienced...... its truly almost silly. Seriously. SHOW US THE EVIDENCE, page by page and lets get this thing over with. True or not?

All you have to do is open Google Translate, hold your phone over the plates, choose Reformed Egyptian and you'd have the English translation in mere seconds.

I mean... in a lot of ways it's the modern day fulfillment of what the church claims was the original translation anyway.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Dr. Midgley may have already received authorization from Salt Lake for the next hit piece on this so-called "plates finder".
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

But do these plates testify of Uranus?
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_Arc
_Emeritus

Post by _Arc »

Kishkumen wrote:Anyone who Mormons without these elements is not really exhaustive in their practice.

"Mormons" as a verb. Hmm. Once you decide whether to capitalize it or not, it could turn out to be a useful turn of phrase.

Mormon [ mawr-muh n ]

noun 1. the popular name given to a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

verb 1. the act of practicing a version of the Mormon religion.

Also see under Book of Mormon.
"The effort to understand the universe is one of the very few things which lifts human life a little above the level of farce and gives it some of the grace of tragedy." Steven Weinberg
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Arc wrote:"Mormons" as a verb. Hmm. Once you decide whether to capitalize it or not, it could turn out to be a useful turn of phrase.

Mormon [ mawr-muh n ]

noun 1. the popular name given to a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

verb 1. the act of practicing a version of the Mormon religion.

Also see under Book of Mormon.

Credit my use of Mormon as a verb to the influence of Lindsay Hansen Park, whose Year of Polygamy podcast I enjoy listening to. “There a lots of ways to Mormon.”
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

The article failed to mention whether any of the swords glowed when orcs were about.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

The Angel Moroni will simply gather the new 2020 stripling warriors and trounce those Orcs. With 20 extra warriors in the year of our Lord 2020, which is a perfect match, there will not be a soul lost, except for the Orcs.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Any new information on this out there that any of us have missed? Has a translation begun which we can all read yet? Or is there negotiations with President Newsroom over renting the seerstone for a few short months while the job gets done?
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."