New LDS manual teaches racism. Mistake?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

New LDS manual teaches racism. Mistake?

Post by _I have a question »

A recent blunder with a Sunday school manual for use by all members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints could set back progress the Utah-based faith has made on the issue of racism in the past few years — and alienate people of color.

Last year, the church produced a new manual for its 2020 curriculum, which will be a study of the faith’s signature scripture, the Book of Mormon, which Latter-day Saints believe tells the religious history of peoples in the ancient Americas.

Several passages describe a “dark skin” descending on one of the clans, and for much of the faith’s history that has been seen as a racial “curse.” These days, though, that interpretation is no longer part of church teaching.

That is why several early readers of the 2020 “Come, Follow Me” manual were troubled to see a note in one lesson that is a throwback to previous thinking.

“The dark skin was placed upon the Lamanites so that they could be distinguished from the Nephites and to keep the two peoples from mixing,” the book explains, citing a statement made some 60 years ago by then-apostle and future church President Joseph Fielding Smith. “The dark skin was the sign of the curse. The curse was the withdrawal of the Spirit of the Lord. ... Dark skin ... is no longer to be considered a sign of the curse.”

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/01 ... ds-church/

By the time this passage came to the church’s attention, the manuals had been printed.

Came to the Church’s attention? Do they not proof read these manuals at a senior level? Where was the spirit of discernment?

Church spokeswoman Irene Caso explained the problem this week.

“During the publication of the ‘Come, Follow Me’ manual for 2020, there was an error that resulted in the printing of material that doesn’t reflect the church’s current views on the topic,” she said in a statement. “To correct this, a decision was made to modify the content in the digital version of the lesson."

The “error” isn’t the problem. It’s merely a symptom of the problem.

These days, Caso added, the church “disavows the theories advanced in the past that black skin is a sign of divine disfavor or curse, or that it reflects unrighteous actions in a premortal life; that mixed-race marriages are a sin; or that blacks or people of any other race or ethnicity are inferior in any way to anyone else. Church leaders today unequivocally condemn all racism, past and present, in any form."

It doesn’t disavow them enough to remove the promotion of those theories from its scriptures though.

The online manual says that “the curse of the Lamanites [one of the groups] was that they were ‘cut off from [the Lord’s] presence … because of their iniquity.’ ... When Lamanites later embraced the gospel of Jesus Christ, ‘the curse of God did no more follow them.’”

The Book of Mormon states that “a mark of dark skin came upon the Lamanites after the Nephites separated from them,” reads the online explanation. “The nature and appearance of this mark are not fully understood. … Later, as both the Nephites and Lamanites each went through periods of wickedness and righteousness, the mark became irrelevant as an indicator of the Lamanites’ standing before God.”

Caso declined to comment on whether the church considered either printing an extra page, acknowledging the error, or scrapping the entire print run and reprinting it with the revised version.

But others are wondering why not.

It’s not like they can’t afford the reprinting costs. So why does the Church want to allow the “erroneous” manuals to be in circulation?

Holly Richardson of the SLT adds:

Please don’t teach racism. Don’t teach it at home, don’t teach it in seminary or institute and don’t teach it in Sunday School. Our Heavenly Parents are not racists. Of course they are not. They love all of their children equally and I am convinced they make zero distinctions based on skin color or place of birth. Neither should we.
Let’s just get this out of the way: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has had leaders who were racist. Full stop. To their credit, modern church leaders have been much more proactive in making clear that all are welcome, with outreach worldwide, with specific talks and teachings focused on welcoming all, the new relationship with the NAACP and with the 2018 “Be One” celebration commemorating the 40th anniversary of the priesthood being restored for all worthy men.
It is therefore disheartening and more than a little disconcerting to discover refuted racist dogma in one of the current LDS Church’s manuals. OK. Maybe that’s underplaying it. It’s more like “What the FREAK?!” HOW is that even possible?!

https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/commenta ... rdson-lds/

How indeed...

Here’s the bottom line. Either the Church holds to the doctrine that a black skin was, as is taught within The Book of Mormon and this new printed manual, a sign of disfavour in the eyes of God - in which case stop playing spin doctor and own it. Or it doesn’t. If the Church doesn’t hold to that doctrine, then it needs to remove all such teaching from it’s manuals and scriptures. It cannot be half pregnant on this one.

And let’s be clear, what is contained within the scriptures trumps any essays, manuals, leader statements etc. Until it’s removed from the Book of Mormon the Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter-day Saints teaches that people with a black skin have been cursed because of disfavour in the eyes of God - it says so right there in 2nd Nephi.

End of.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_DrW
_Emeritus

Re: New LDS manual teaches racism. Mistake?

Post by _DrW »

I have a question wrote:Here’s the bottom line. Either the Church holds to the doctrine that a black skin was, as is taught within The Book of Mormon and this new printed manual, a sign of disfavour in the eyes of God - in which case stop playing spin doctor and own it. Or it doesn’t. If the Church doesn’t hold to that doctrine, then it needs to remove all such teaching from it’s manuals and scriptures. It cannot be half pregnant on this one.

And let’s be clear, what is contained within the scriptures trumps any essays, manuals, leader statements etc. Until it’s removed from the Book of Mormon the Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter-day Saints teaches that people with a black skin have been cursed because of disfavour in the eyes of God - it says so right there in 2nd Nephi.

This situation is a perfect example of the ubiquitous Mormon double bind - damned if you do and damned if you don't. It's just one of the myriad of problems now arising from the original sin of Mormonism.

According to the Church News, about 150 million copies of the Book of Mormon have been printed over time and the book has been published in 90 languages. The truth claim that dark skin is God's curse appears in all of them. Like the LDS Church, the Book of Mormon itself has many problems, some so fundamental that embarrassing changes had to be made to the "most correct of any book on this earth."

Whether the Mopologists care to acknowledge the fact or not, the more recent of these changes were forced by the science based publications of Dr. Simon Southerton (who could not have come up with a more appropriate and impactful title than The Sacred Curse for his latest book). Southerton and many others, highly qualified and respected in their fields, have had the knowledge and the courage to publicly and pointedly demonstrate, using hard data, that the Book of Mormon is an egregious fraud.

While a re-printing of the 2020 lesson manuals to remove the offending language, as suggested by IHAQ, would be a well founded if expensive decision, it would also be a Band Aid for the problem at best.

There are still millions of copies of the original source of the racist curse language in the homes of the Mormon faithful as well as the woke and the critics. Missionaries are still mandated to peddle the defective product.

Given that the entire edifice of the LDS Church is based on false and readily falsifiable truth claims, and given its leaders continue to lie as they deny, dodge and deflect the facts, even demanding that they not be criticized even when wrong, what hope can there really be for its long term future?

Looks as though the current leadership may have decided that shedding the old, re-branding and attempting to morph into a more mainstream Christian denomination is the path forward for the CoJCoLDS.

Is discouraging the use of the word 'Mormon' as a nickname for the Church and its people intended as the first step toward eventual de-emphasis or even de-canonization of the Book of Mormon? Will the new Church of Jesus Christ eventually become a larger more and wealthy version of the RLDS Community of Christ?
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Who was the galaxy brain posting here claiming it wasn’t dark skin being used to distinguish sinner from saint?

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

My guess is that someday these things will be rightly suppressed and the passages of scripture connecting skin color to righteousness will have about as much pull as odd passages in Leviticus, which no one seems to pay any real attention to.

In the meantime, we will continue to see this stuff popping up here and there, either because someone nodded, or someone deliberately wants to promote these ideas.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

The Book of Mormon states that “a mark of dark skin came upon the Lamanites after the Nephites separated from them,” reads the online explanation. “The nature and appearance of this mark are not fully understood.

More blaming God for their ugly doctrines. Why did you practice polygamy? God made us do it, we don't why. Why did you ban blacks from the priesthood? God made us do it, we don't why. Why were the Lamanites cursed with dark skin? God did it. We don't why. Why do you discriminate against gay people? God makes us do it. We don't why. I'm so grateful the church has living prophets who speak for God and can answer these questions for us.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Sounds like an edition worth collecting for posterity as a defense against future gaslighting. I am going to have to ask my wife to get me a copy.

"The Church never taught that and even if they did it was discontinued by the middle of the 20th century, long ago!"

"Here, let's read from the 2020 church wide curriculum manual."
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

If it was such a horrific error, why not recall all of the printed manuals containing said horrific error?
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr Moore wrote:If it was such a horrific error, why not recall all of the printed manuals containing said horrific error?

Because they actually believe it.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Dr Moore wrote:If it was such a horrific error, why not recall all of the printed manuals containing said horrific error?

Good question. Put those billions to good use, I say.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Dr LOD
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr LOD »

Maybe whomever approved the inclusion in that lesson manual, had read this article.

Skins as Garments in the Book of Mormon: A Textual Exegesis by Ethan Sproat
https://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/cgi/vie ... ntext=jbms

The article includes the following gem:

According to a reading I will defend in the course of this article, this
passage suggests the possibility that “the skins of the Lamanites” are
to be understood as articles of clothing, the notable girdle of skin that
these particular Lamanites wear to cover their nakedness

I once had an individual whom has written for the Interpreter in a casual conversation bring this up. So apparently this has gone around the water-cooler at their secret cave as a totally plausible concept.