Callister claims critics have flip-flopped on Book of Mormon

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Callister claims critics have flip-flopped on Book of Mormon

Post by _I have a question »

The initial argument by the critics that the Book of Mormon was man-made was based on the premise that Joseph Smith was too unlearned and “ignorant” to write such a comprehensive work and therefore someone allegedly much more intelligent than he, such as Sidney Rigdon or Oliver Cowdery, must have authored it. Later, arguments arose that Joseph copied it from the Solomon Spaulding Manuscript or that he suffered from a mental disorder that somehow endowed him, an untrained writer, with superior writing skills. These arguments, however, have been so thoroughly discredited that they are seldom mentioned anymore.

So, the current argument being made is that Joseph Smith was a creative genius who read numerous books, such as “View of the Hebrews” and “The Late War Between the United States and Great Britain” and then copied ideas and stories from them. This, of course, is a total flip-flop, a 180-degree reversal from the original argument that Joseph was incapable, too ignorant to write such a book. Now, all of a sudden Joseph is a skilled, creative writer with genius intellect. Why the flip-flop? Because all the previous explanations for a man-made book had failed.

https://www.thechurchnews.com/living-fa ... ith-172006

Really Tad?

This is staggering when you think about it — to claim that Joseph Smith, who could not write a coherent letter, wrote the Book of Mormon, with all of its historical complexity and profound doctrinal insights, in a single dictation draft in approximately 65 working days with no notes in front of him and with only minor changes — mostly grammatical.
Well, he did write the Wentworth Letter, and you canonised that. He did write his own History, and you canonised some of that. He wrote several versions of the First Vision, and you canonised that too.

When I recently finished writing a book about the Book of Mormon, my secretary unexpectedly asked me, “Do you know how many drafts you had?” I replied, “No.” To which she responded, “72.” I thought, “Wow. It took me two concentrated years of writing, and many previous years of thinking and collecting ideas, with multitudinous notes constantly in front of me, to write a book less than half the length of the Book of Mormon and far less meaningful, and 72 drafts to do so.”
Your point being that if you couldn’t do it, Joseph couldn’t? Really?

No wonder Emma Smith wrote: “My belief is that the Book of Mormon is of divine authenticity — I have not the slightest doubt of it. I am satisfied that no man could have dictated the writing of the manuscripts unless he was inspired.”
Manuscripts?

Not only do history and reason confirm the truth of the Book of Mormon, but much more importantly, the power of the Spirit does.
Ah yes, The Assumptive Close.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Re: Callister claims critics have flip-flopped on Book Of Mo

Post by _Dr Exiled »

This is a red herring from Bro. Callister. The book itself has been disproved as an ancient text by dna, anachronisms and many other illogical things contained therein (See Earl Wungerli's book: https://www.amazon.com/Imperfect-Book-Mormon-Tells-Itself/dp/1560852305

So, who really cares how the 19th Century book was composed? I don't need to know how the magic trick was done to see that it is a sleight of hand going on with the composition of the Book of Mormon. It is interesting to speculate what really went on, but not important to the historicity question.

He used a rock in a hat for heaven sake and the plates then conveniently disappear. He couldn't redo the story contained in the 116 pgs. after losing them so he dubiously claimed that God told him not to try. It was obviously a Bible meets mound builder myth operation, so, whether some others helped or whether he had sufficient intelligence to do it himself is beside the point. It ain't what it claims to be and a fiction model seems to be the only logical place for Mormons to go.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Physics Guy
_Emeritus

Post by _Physics Guy »

So at first people reckoned that the Book of Mormon could have been faked by Smith with help from confederates, then later people considered that it could have been faked by Smith all alone.

That sounds as though the longer people think about the Book of Mormon, the more ways they find that it could have been faked. I'd say that makes it more likely that the Book was faked somehow, not less.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

The initial argument by the critics that the Book of Mormon was man-made was based on the premise that Joseph Smith was too unlearned and “ignorant” to write such a comprehensive work and therefore someone allegedly much more intelligent than he, such as Sidney Rigdon or Oliver Cowdery, must have authored it.

So far, so good. . .

So, the current argument being made is that Joseph Smith was a creative genius who read numerous books, such as “View of the Hebrews” and “The Late War Between the United States and Great Britain” and then copied ideas and stories from them.

We're still listening. . .

This, of course, is a total flip-flop, a 180-degree reversal from the original argument that Joseph was incapable, too ignorant to write such a book. Now, all of a sudden Joseph is a skilled, creative writer with genius intellect. Why the flip-flop?

Now hold on just a minute. Instead of assuming a "flip-flop," why not hybridize the two theories? Why not simply conclude that someone allegedly much more intelligent than Smith, such as Sidney Rigdon, Oliver Cowdery, or Solomon Spalding, read numerous books, such as “View of the Hebrews” and “The Late War Between the United States and Great Britain,” and then copied ideas and stories from them?

Because all the previous explanations for a man-made book had failed.

Nope. See above.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

The creative genius theory, or CGT, has absolutely been around since the beginning, and it has absolutely not failed. Proving a negative almost always fails.

There have been many iterations of the CGT since the time immediately following publication.

Royal Skousen, after careful study, concludes the Book of Mormon is a "creative and cultural translation" and "not literal translation." Tad, where is your commentary on Skousen's good work on this meteoric leap toward affirming CGT? "Creative and cultural translation" are just fancy apologetic-speak for "creative genius."

Tad's scornful mocking of creative-genius notions shows me that he is defending an internal faith experience, which is 100% totally fine. But he should not, under any circumstances, be out pedaling that in a pretended scholarly rundown.

It's the same thing Jenkins asked of Hamblin, a dozen times over:

Jenkins wrote:If you reply that no piece of external evidence could shake your belief, however overwhelming it might seem, then you are stating explicitly that your view is a matter of faith, and not of science, scholarship or history. If that is so, then there is no point in trying to argue the issue in such terms. It is purely internal to you. Just don’t pretend that you have any claim in the realm of science, scholarship or history.

Did Hamblin ever answer this question? No, he did not. Someone should find a way to ask Tad Callister the same question. I am certain that he too would either not answer, or would evade. Jenkins laid out the what and the why with perfect clarity.
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

I have wondered how the Isaiah chapters got into the Book of Mormon - did Joseph Smith grab his Bible and tell OC copy from here to here while i take a smoke break or did OC tell Joseph Smith, we can copy about xx chapters of Isaiah while you figure out what to do next- or did Emma come and say Joseph, you know i been areading in your Bible bout what this prophet Isaiah writes and it sounds lot like the stuff you have been dictating to OC- can you put some of it in the BOM-pretty please. Or did Rigdon slip in the back with the manuscript pages and tell Joseph Smith to just grab some KJV pages until Rigdon can figure out how to restart the dictation given the 116 were toast?

ideas?

k
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Elder Tad R. Callister
Image wrote:
So, the current argument being made is that Joseph Smith was a creative genius who read numerous books, such as “View of the Hebrews” and “The Late War Between the United States and Great Britain” and then copied ideas and stories from them. This, of course, is a total flip-flop, a 180-degree reversal from the original argument that Joseph was incapable, too ignorant to write such a book. Now, all of a sudden Joseph is a skilled, creative writer with genius intellect. Why the flip-flop? Because all the previous explanations for a man-made book had failed.

Flip-flop or not that is beside the point. Tell us what you know about Late War and how it compares to things in the Book of Mormon? Can you do that Callister? How about you address that issue rather than run your silly mouth and act like there are no problems with the Book of Mormon.

You disgust me, Callister.

:mad:
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Elder Tad R. Callister wrote:Not only do history and reason confirm the truth of the Book of Mormon, but much more importantly, the power of the Spirit does.

I dare you to say that about the Explanations of Facsimile No. 3!

You liar for the Lord!

You disgust me.

:mad:
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

So apologists and Mormons of all stripes at first claimed totally that The Book of Mormon was translated by the gift and power of God. Joseph Smith could not have done it. Now one of the most out front vocal apologists after literally dozens of years research claims it was translated by creative genius. Flip flop Callister?

On the Book of Abraham literally every Mormon around Joseph Smith and he himself claimed direct translation of the Egyptian hieroglyphs off the papyri for decades. Only with the rise of modern apologetics has the need arose to completely ignore what Joseph Smith himself said, and is it necessary to come up with not just one or two offhand theories, but almost a dozen different, contradictory theories of how Joseph Smith got the Book of Abraham. May I conclude as Callister did that it is because the original theory of Joseph Smith has been proven false? If not why not?
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Philo Sofee wrote:On the Book of Abraham literally every Mormon around Joseph Smith and he himself claimed direct translation of the Egyptian hieroglyphs off the papyri

That's exactly right. Apologists reject Joseph Smith's testimony that he literally translated the papyrus and therefore flip and flop the Mormon Church on its back. In effect they murder the memory of their prophet and his apostles that testified at his side. Elder Callister and his modern apologetic cohorts are guilty of spiritual murder having slain the memory and testimony of their prophet. They have no conscience in what they do. They are like snakes and poisonous animals. Beware!

I rebuke you Callister and the wool you pull over the eyes of your sheep.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.