Why Romney voted to impeach

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Why Romney voted to impeach

Post by _SuperDell »

We know Mitt has been lobbying for higher church callings for a years. We know he is a "believer" and his vote to impeach has made him unpopular among Utah voters - L-d$,inc types included.

We know he said nothing about Trump and his paying $130,000 to a hooker/adult film star nor did he say anything about Trump statements of "grab'em by the ...." or his treatment of women - nothing about any of this that would easily be seen as a Moral Statement.

Now he would have us believe God told him to vote to impeach because it is a "moral decision"?

He is lobbying to become a member of The Twelve. Nothing less. He apparently believes that being castigated by so many for what he claims is a "moral decision" and saying God told him to vote this way will show he values God and Truth more than political office. Just the ticket to be called as one of The Twelve.

That is the office he really wants - more desperately than he ever wanted to be President of the USA.
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert
_candygal
_Emeritus

Re: Why Romney voted to impeach

Post by _candygal »

I agree. Although I respect Romney for his convictions..it has nothing to do with religion or politics in general..but everything to do with Romney...what he loves...and who he hates.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

I don't buy this. I am not a big fan of Mitt Romney. For all I know, he may be kind of a jerk. But I do think he genuinely felt compelled by his conscience at long last to stand on principle and vote to convict Trump. He was never happy having to go along with Trump. There is that famous picture of him dining "alone" with Trump; the man looks completely miserable. That is the face of a man who finds Donald Trump to be a completely disgusting creature.

Do I think that man would vote to convict Trump based on his reading of the evidence and coming from his moral upbringing? No doubt. I have absolutely no doubt.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Flaming Meaux
_Emeritus

Post by _Flaming Meaux »

With the sway that Trumpism has in those corners of the globe where Mormonism is actually relevant, I'm not so sure that voting to impeach Trump would necessarily get Romney in the good graces of church leadership.

I mean, when you start hearing GAs parrot Trumpisms from the pulpit in general conference or other official addresses, doesn't that provide a clue on what they think the base of Mormons in the intermountain west will eat up?
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

I listened to Romney's speech and heard him say he felt obligated before God to be true to his obligation to decided honestly and with integrity. I heard nothing about God telling him what to do. Was that in some other speech? I doubt it. It does not sound like something that would fit his other comments.

What earthly reason is there to hunt up speculation about nefarious and selfish motives?

Even if you think he is wrong for some reason you are still presented with a person willing to take negative fallout from doing something he sees as right.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I think Romney voted to impeach because Trump was as guilty as Outer Darkness. There is no need to dissect the religious motivation behind Romney's decision. He was faithfully discharging his duty in the task he was given.

In the words of the Yankee mid-field stands, "Throw the bum out".
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

huckelberry wrote:I listened to Romney's speech and heard him say he felt obligated before God to be true to his obligation to decided honestly and with integrity. I heard nothing about God telling him what to do. Was that in some other speech? I doubt it. It does not sound like something that would fit his other comments.

What earthly reason is there to hunt up speculation about nefarious and selfish motives?

Even if you think he is wrong for some reason you are still presented with a person willing to take negative fallout from doing something he sees as right.

Yup, what Romney said was essentially like someone swearing to tell the truth on a Bible before testifying: not that their testimony is clouded by their belief, but that they promise to be honest.
_Fiannan
_Emeritus

Post by _Fiannan »

Romney did not exactly say God told him to vote against Trump?

Reminds me of when Bush was trying to sell the war in Iraq. He had a speech where he spoke about 9-11 and then sandwiched Saddam into it but then went back to discussing 9-11. He never actually said Saddam was responsible for 9-11, truth is, Saddam hated the fundamentalist jihadists who did the deed, but the audience perceived that Saddam was behind 9-11. Later, Bush denied ever saying he blamed Saddam for 9-11.
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Post by _SuperDell »

When he was looking at a Presidential bid he spent so much time in SLC bothering the Brethren that people in the Church Office Building were laughing about him lobbying for a Call to The Twelve.

The guy wants it bad, more than any elected office.

His "moral decision" is recent - something he really doesn't use unless he wants something.
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Do you have any direct statements from him wanting an apostleship? Any real estate deals? Anything that would tie him to the Church in a way that would make your theory interesting?

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.