Top Mormon Murderers?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Top Mormon Murderers?

Post by _SuperDell »

Who are the biggest Mormon murderers in our time?

Adolf Hitler does not count even though he is now Mormon with Eva Braun sealed to him. Same thing with Stalin, Chairman Mao and so many other mass murderers in the past.

Mountain Meadows Massacre murderers would be #1 - for how it was done and the total number murdered. No specific individual - a group effort.

Orrin Porter Rockwell - Brigham's Enforcer and Joe's before that. Though he failed in killing the Governor of Illinois he had plenty of others to his credit. Then the seven or so Indians in Skull Valley he questioned who did not know anything about murderers he was chasing. He killed them anyway.

A number of Utah/Mormon Indian 'wars' - Battle of Fort Utah, McBride massacre, Circleville massacre and similar.

Ted Bundy - a Mormon convert in Utah who is one of the most prolific serial killers in the USA.

The LeBaron brothers, for how they applied Blood Atonement and those followers who did their bidding.

Mark Hoffman, for the publicity surrounding his scamming L-d$,inc and its lasting legacy.

I know there are many more - so why not start a list to refer to in the future?
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Re: Top Mormon Murderers?

Post by _Dr. Shades »

SuperDell wrote:Orrin Porter Rockwell - Brigham's Enforcer and Joe's before that. Though he failed in killing the Governor of Illinois he had plenty of others to his credit.

That's 'cause he never tried.

(It was the former governor of Missouri that he tried and failed to assassinate.)
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

I am just feeling picky, Hitler is not a Mormon. A ceremony in a temple does not make him a member of the church in the churches view or mine.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Brigham Young. He murdered a bunch of native americans in the various territorial wars he ginned up as well as the mountain meadows massacre. That guy tops my list.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Another one is Arthur Gary Bishop.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Dr LOD
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr LOD »

Dr Exiled wrote:Brigham Young. He murdered a bunch of native americans in the various territorial wars he ginned up as well as the mountain meadows massacre. That guy tops my list.

I’ll agree with that one.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

It has to be Messrs Hinckley/Monson/Nelson. They could have saved millions and millions of children from starvation, unclean water etc but chose instead to build up hundreds of billions of dollars worth of investments instead. And they've precipitated suicides through the promotion of hate speech.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Not exactly in our time, but the execution of Joe Hill was an international story.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

huckelberry wrote:I am just feeling picky, Hitler is not a Mormon. A ceremony in a temple does not make him a member of the church in the churches view or mine.

He and Eva Braun had their work done on eight separate occasions. They join the ranks together with Mickey and Minnie Mouse as celebrity posthumous converts.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_TrashcanMan79
_Emeritus

Post by _TrashcanMan79 »

The Lafferty Brothers. Focus of Under the Banner of Heaven and one of them was cellmates with Mark Hofmann for a time.