Elimination of Young Men's and Young Women's Presidents

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Elimination of Young Men's and Young Women's Presidents

Post by _Holy Ghost »

The Mormon "Another win for Satan" church's explanation of eliminating the young men's and young women's presidencies is so that the bishops will have more direct access to the teenage, LDS "Another win for Satan" kids.

Isn't that precisely the problem and shouldn't they like that those kids--those sexually vulnerable kids--have more different adult leaders and examples? This move giving the bishop more exclusive access to these kids means that they'll have one less person that they could go to, to report inappropriate behavior by those bishops. It is removing a 'check and balance' (albeit some what of a weak one) against the predatory bishops.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Re: Elimination of Young Men's and Young Women's Presidents

Post by _Gadianton »

In the case of the YM presidency it makes a little bit of sense. My experience was that YM staff were often the guys who liked the outdoors side of Church and Tuesday basketball but didn't care for the spiritual side. One in particular tried to make us think critically about things and no doubt sewed seeds that potentially took root and contributed to my lack of belief. I remember having one "cool" bishop, but he was still spiritual and made it clear he believed the Church.

Now for the YW? I don't get that. Is this just rhetorical?
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

Gadianton wrote:In the case of the YM presidency it makes a little bit of sense. My experience was that YM staff were often the guys who liked the outdoors side of Church and Tuesday basketball but didn't care for the spiritual side. One in particular tried to make us think critically about things and no doubt sewed seeds that potentially took root and contributed to my lack of belief. I remember having one "cool" bishop, but he was still spiritual and made it clear he believed the Church.

Now for the YW? I don't get that. Is this just rhetorical?

I think that if the kids have more church adults in their church 'circle' that they might feel like they could confide in if the bishop starts talking, touching, suggesting inappropriately, such as the YM president for boys or YW president for girls, the bishop would be more restrained, feel more compunction if from nothing else perhaps the possibilities that the kids my tell the YM/YW's president with whom the child my feel safe and would keep their confidence. Eliminating those positions makes it somewhat more likely that the bishop can isolate them, and then abuse them.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_2bizE
_Emeritus

Post by _2bizE »

Wait, I thought there was still YW Presidency? Am I wrong? I know the YM presidency was eliminated.

All of this is for a purpose. I believe the main purpose is to strengthen the youth spiritually. To keep them in the church.

Dan Petersen posted an article on Patheos about who is leaving the church. The article suggested the only group contributing to growth is new babies being born. Thus, the focus on retention of kids already in the church.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... t-one.html
~ 2BizE
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

YM presidency.

If I go back to my memories of church in my youth I can remember individual group leaders. I can remember the bishop. I have zero memory of a YM presidency so eliminating such a position what ever bookkeeping it may or may not have done likely has zero effect on youth confidence and belief in the church.

I also do not see how a bishop would have enough actual relationship to youth groups to matter much to youth commitment to the church.