QAnon - consider yourself influenced

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Re: QAnon - consider yourself influenced

Post by _Philo Sofee »

It's why America has saddled itself with lunacy at the highest political levels. Sooooooo much misinformation, so little ability to sift critically through it. It will be the end of our freedom, horrifyingly realistically within my lifetime. America will be destroyed, just not as scriptures depicted it...
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Simon Southerton wrote:
Fence Sitter wrote:Interesting that he is "ex-Mormon", I mean if he is able to buy into all that other crap, what convinced him Mormonism was wrong?

I'm guessing all the problems raised on the Internet in the mid to late 90s drove him out. Beyond that it's all a mystery.

I have a hypothesis that there are certain personality types who are (genetically, perhaps?) predisposed towards fanatical adherence to whatever they happen to believe at the moment, no matter how abundant and incontrovertible the contrary evidence, like the electric monk of Douglas Adams' hilarious novel, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. I figured this out long before I ever read that novel. It is easier to convert such people from one brand of fanaticism to another than to cure them of being unreasoning fanatics.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Makes you wonder if the government put the TV show The Walking Dead on TV in order to train us on how to deal with QAnon and Trump supporters.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Simon Southerton wrote:Apparently, some people believe Barack Obama is gay and Michelle is a transvestite.

Joan Rivers was one of them. Conveniently enough, exactly 62 days after saying so she was dead after what's normally a routine endoscopy.

I had heard the conspiracy theory (spurred on by Donald Trump) that Obama was ineligible to be President of the United States because he was not a natural-born citizen.

He most likely got that idea from the literary agency who, in its list of authors, said he was born in Kenya in its biographical sketch of him.

We parted good friends, but it was only when I got home to Canberra and I saw someone post something about conspiracy theories, that I reflected on the ones I had just heard about. In the space of about 4 days my friend had introduced me to the following:

* Thousands of children are abducted each year in US national parks and sacrificed by satanists
    * Planned parenthood traffics babies and body parts
    * Aliens have given us lots of technology and the US Gov. is covering it up
    * The Jesuits and Masons control the world
    * Fluoride is put in water to keep the population docile
    * The US gov orchestrated 9/11 in order to justify invading Iraq.
    * Aircraft vapour trails are chemtrails the Gov is spraying us with to make us docile
    * Sandy Hook never happened. The parents are involved in an Obama-supported hoax to get at gun laws
    * Vaccines cause autism
    * The science behind global warming has been invented or distorted for ideological or financial reasons
    * And of course Barack Obama is gay and Michelle is a transvestite

Those are all "Conspiracy Theories for Beginners," my friend. I'm surprised you hadn't heard of any of them before now.

CTs offer me nothing but despair.

Not to imply that conspiracy theories are true, BUT. . . If something offers you nothing but despair, does that magically make it false?

Serious question, by the way.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

I wondered why this thread was moved given it had a reasonable claim to tie into Mormonism and the question of belief in the dubious was being explored.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

honorentheos wrote:I wondered why this thread was moved given it had a reasonable claim to tie into Mormonism and the question of belief in the dubious was being explored.

Oh, I think we know why.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Simon Southerton wrote:Apparently, some people believe Barack Obama is gay and Michelle is a transvestite.

Joan Rivers was one of them ...

This itself is a conspiracy, brought on by the fact that most Right- leaning folks lack the proper genetic basics to understand humor.

https://www.cnn.com/2014/07/04/showbiz/ ... index.html

Thousands of children are abducted each year in US national parks and sacrificed by satanists.

Preposterous. Everyone knows that satanists aren’t outdoorsy types.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

I sometimes wonder what the person who started the initial "Q" troll posts thinks of what happened. It's quite obviously trolling, but goodness did it get out of hand and take on a life of its own. It's possible that person is an online sociopath incapable of anything but bemusement at what's happened, but I'd like to think they're capable of grappling with what they started.

Stories of families breaking apart because one or members got really into Q-anon are quite sad.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

honorentheos wrote:I wondered why this thread was moved given it had a reasonable claim to tie into Mormonism and the question of belief in the dubious was being explored.

Mormonism needs to be the focus, not the tie-in.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Dr. Shades wrote:

Joan Rivers was one of them. Conveniently enough, exactly 62 days after saying so she was dead after what's normally a routine endoscopy....

OK Shades. Have the guts to come straight out and say what you mean here.

Do you believe that Obama is gay and Michelle is a transvestite, and that Joan Rivers was murdered to conceal that this is the case?

If you aren't sure, what likelihood do you assign to those propositions being true?

And if the answers are 'No' and '0%', what the heck do you mean by the word 'conveniently'?

[Edited for typo]
Last edited by Guest on Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.