A Sam Young needed for church finances

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

A Sam Young needed for church finances

Post by _Holy Ghost »

I imagine someone will, now that we know of the $124b the LDS church has via Ensign Peak, step up, and organize a protest campaign at this year's general conferences and then in December, asking why anyone would give this secretive, fat hog organization money that they could instead spend on their family, on the person holding a "any help appreciated" placard at the corner of the Walmart parking lot, etc.

Sam Young did it with the insidious practice of putting middle aged men, 20 years or more into a marriage (read: sexually starved) in private rooms with nubile teens. He got a concession. It's time a financial 'Sam Young' steps up, and exposes the insidiousness of tithing.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_candygal
_Emeritus

Re: A Sam Young needed for church finances

Post by _candygal »

I would love to support something /someone like this!!
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Somebody needs to speak to the Ensign Peak employee/whistleblower and have him encourage others from EPA to start spilling other beans. I would imagine the Church currently doesn't know who to trust and has doubled security at the unmarked office building where they all work. There's much more damage when someone other than the Church discloses hidden information. The essays debacle should have informed the Church that telling the truth after the truth has already been told by others is seen for the pathetic desperation and deceit that it is. The Church would be well advised to disclose everything it currently hides from members - financials, history, secret ordinances etc, because it'll come out some time and they won't be able to control the fallout if they aren't the first out of the gate with it.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

I have a question wrote:Somebody needs to speak to the Ensign Peak employee/whistleblower and have him encourage others from EPA to start spilling other beans. I would imagine the Church currently doesn't know who to trust and has doubled security at the unmarked office building where they all work. There's much more damage when someone other than the Church discloses hidden information. The essays debacle should have informed the Church that telling the truth after the truth has already been told by others is seen for the pathetic desperation and deceit that it is. The Church would be well advised to disclose everything it currently hides from members - financials, history, secret ordinances etc, because it'll come out some time and they won't be able to control the fallout if they aren't the first out of the gate with it.

It is too big, with too many employees to be able to keep a lid on everything. If it wants secrecy, it will need to downsize.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov